SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veronica_p8

10 things I've learned as a first year gardener

veronica_p8
13 years ago

I just thought about posting this as I was outside in the garden. It's my first year gardening and the learning curve is steep! I hope it inspires excitement from newbies willing to share and nostalgia from seasoned veterans.

1. Pumpkin plants get huge. I mean REALLY huge. 4 volunteers (from composting last year's Halloween pumpkins) have taken over a 30 ft x 40 ft area, and are still growing. Some leaves are almost 2 ft across.

2. When you are trying square foot gardening, and they say you have to trellis something, they mean it. I was busy doing other things and I have winter squash and melons sprawling all over the place. Next year I will be on top of it!

3. Tomatoes take a long time to ripen. I've been staring at green tomatoes for over a month. Some just FINALLY got red. I ate one. It was good :) I'm not sure if it was 6 weeks good, but it was good.

4. Hot composting is harder than it seems. I kept trying to keep the pile hot, but it would only maintain temp a few days, and never hotter than 130 degrees. It's more science than I'd imagined.

5. Those yellow ladybug lookin' things aren't ladybugs. :( They are the dreaded SPOTTED CUCUMBER BEATLE! (with big sharp teeth!)

6. Cucurbits are dating shy. Sometimes you need to introduce them to each other. Sometimes not so gracefully in a manner that may be more appropriate for the adult section in a video store. :P I never thought I'd be the "Match.com" for the plants in my backyard.

7. Those pretty white butterflies I've loved my whole life wreak havoc and destruction on the cabbage family. BT is the answer from the gods, and I'd have none of these plants left without it.

8. Seeds are not as easy to germinate as I'd thought. That whole "tea soaked paper towels in the fridge overnight with seeds between them" helped a bunch.

9. Tomato plants are monsters.

10. This "hobby" is a lot more work than I'd imagined it to be ... but I can't imagine one that could be more rewarding than being outside, growing organic food, and getting a tan in the summer (which I NEVER do ... I come from the pasty northern European people, so I look healthy and alive ... it's a good thing.)

Do any newbies have anything to add? We won't make fun of you. Some of my revelations have been quite funny :P This list is just scratching the surface ;)

- Veronica

Comments (26)