SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Disappearing birds

Alisande
6 years ago

I've been feeding the birds here since 1975. I used to feed all year round, but after a bear killed one of my dogs and the Game Commission agent told me the bird seed was attracting bears, I stared feeding during the period they are in hibernation--or my best guess when that is. In warm autumns, such as the one we had this year, I might start in December.

Every year the birds come around and wait for me to put out the feeders. During this waiting period I've been scolded by chickadees and nuthatches, among others. But no birds came to scold or wait this year. When I did set out the feeders, at first only doves and blue jays showed up, followed by juncos. After a few days several chickadees, titmice, and nuthatches appeared, but not in the large numbers I've come to expect.

I hope my "regulars" haven't given up on me. Over the years I've observed the disappearance of grosbeaks, redpolls, towhees, cedar waxwings, and others from my area. In the early 1970s, about 30 miles from here, I hand-tamed a number of wild birds, including evening grosbeaks--who used to land on my head and shoulders. Although I haven't been able to do that here (thanks to Raynaud's), I'm still attached to "my" birds and hope their numbers aren't diminishing too.

What have you observed in your area?

Comments (25)