SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chescobob

Bird Recognition Of Other Birds

chescobob
11 years ago

A couple of weeks ago, 2 immature eagles were flying overhead and then down the road. When I got down to the end of the road, one of the immature eagles was landing in a tree overlooking black and turkey vultures on the ground. The vultures moved off a bit as the eagle landed to check out what had interested the vultures.

I wondered how the vultures decided to move as the eagle landed. Black, turkey, and immature eagles all have dark and white on their wings and they are all big. Then I realized that these three birds all fly differently. Then came my Doh!. If I could distinguish the way these birds fly, so could the vultures.

Yesterday, a group of crows came to have some BOSS in the yard. I noticed one crow flying in the woods while a smaller bird flew behind it. The crow acted like Foghorn Leghorn when he said--"Get away from me son, you bother me." Its buddy crows didn't even look. The crow had been targeted by a small hawk--probably a sharp-shinned--that was much smaller than the crow. I guess the crows knew their group would protect each other from the sharpie. The crows flew off and the hawk remained. All the small yard birds had disappeared while the squirrels stayed on the ground.

Later in the day, a red-tail (huge up close) came to the back yard. I'm sure it had squirrel on its mind. The smaller yard birds (cardinals and smaller) didn't care that the red-tail was sharing the yard with them. They were eating BOSS and mixed nuts. The red-tail had no interest in them either. However, now the squirrels were no where to be found. They knew the red-tail was looking for them.

In the afternoon, a mature eagle sat in the woods. The back-yard birds and the squirrels showed no concern as they happily ate BOSS.

This morning, the red-tail was back. Earlier, blue birds and mockingbirds had been eating winterberries. Other birds were flying everywhere and feeding on BOSS and nuts with the squirrels. As the red-tail was looking for squirrel, I looked around the yard. Nothing was there, not little birds, not squirrels, nothing. I thought to myself, maybe the little birds worried about the red-tail afterall. Then I looked at the other side of the woods, there was a sharpie waiting for the little birds, and out of the sight of the red-tail.

I guess the moral of the story is the obvious. If you have to worry about being eaten, you have to be able to identify your enemies. If its not out there, eat and be happy. I just find the birds--small and large--fascinating.

Comments (8)