Grocery Prices
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (25)
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Grocery Price Book
Comments (4)The Grocery Price Book can also include the prices of anything you purchase on a regular basis, not just groceries. You may need to figure out what is essential and what is optional. That's where "need" and "want" fight it out. It's sometimes difficult to draw the line between essential and optional (need and want) because we all have a different value system and different needs. Perhaps you can begin by deciding what is essential and what is optional in order to bring your spending in these areas under control. In the pet division, I'm probably in a somewhat extreme position - we don't have a pet because we have a financial retirement goal that we're trying to reach that doesn't have room for pets and their expensive up-keep in the budget. It's not that we don't love pets, they are just unnecessary at this point in time in order for us to achieve our financial goals. I can love-to-death the neighbors pooches...for free. That's extreme, I admit. You need to decide, for you, what is essential in this area. As an example: are 5 cats and 3 dogs essential? Probably not if they bust your budget. My SIL made her own dog food and used inexpensive rice, and I don't know what else, in the recipe. It was a vet. approved recipe. It not only was good for their dog, but it was very cheap. Other friends learned how to groom their cats/dogs to save money. Soap products. Once again, it's price for me. My husband likes to use bar bath soap and one that suits our budget is available at a low price from Aldi's (similar to Dove). It also doesn't leave a soap scum in the tub (a secondary benefit). I like liquid soap, so I take the small ends of the bars and make my own homemade liquid soap and reuse a decorative pump dispenser. Soft Soap: 1/4 c. soap flakes OR 2 oz. soap ends, shredded 1 cup water Simmer in pan, stirring, until the soap has melted. You can add some scented oil or your favorite perfume, if you like. I've gotten triple value from one small container of very expensive body powder by mixing it with 3 boxes of inexpensive cornstarch (now I have a life-time supply). It smells the same, and cornstarch is a good/natural body powder. My only "beauty supplies" are 2 containers of translucent face powder a year (Dollar General Store) and I make my own lip balm for pennies instead of purchasing the expensive stuff I used to use. I use coconut oil (LouAna brand from Wal-Mart - next to the Crisco) for a body/hand lotion or face moisturizer. Most expensive commercial products do more damage and are more drying, from what I've researched. I've eliminated everything else because I really didn't look all that much different with or without it, as long as I dust my face with loose face powder (blessed with nice skin and long eyelashes). I don't even bother with mascara anymore (that was the last thing to go). I purchased a package of 12 inexpensive white face cloths at the Dollar General store for face care. A dermotologist suggested using them along with a bar of unscented Dove soap as a good cleanser and exfoliant (the cheap face cloths are kinda' rough), and this is also suggested for anyone with mild acne. Works like a charm, although I use my homemade soft soap with some tea tree oil in it. The liquid form of the sweetener stevia is one of the best things on an occasional zit - they heal very quickly using stevia on them. A small travel-size of stevia (found at the health food store) will last a long time. Once again in the extreme side of things... I cut my own hair. I wouldn't dream of wasting money on things like highlights or color. Everyone loves my "natural" silver highlights. I budget money for a hair cut each month, but I deposit it into the savings account. I get as many compliments on my hair as when I used to get it cut by the top per$on in town. I just observed how he cut it and did it myself after he moved from the area - and my hair is a short precision cut. Not everyone can do this, I realize, but perhaps they could reduce the high-maintance, high-cost, options. It's all about need, not want. I've switched laundry detergent to ALL small & mighty which is 3X concentrated and was cheaper per load when I did the math, than nearly everything that was on the market. When I found it on sale as a promotional product at Wal-Mart this summer, I purchased a year's worth of it. I also use homemade detergent which is easy to make and inexpensive. A safe option for most of our laundry. Whatever kind of laundry product you use, make sure you measure it and try reducing the amount you normally use. I use white vinegar instead of softener in the rinse (least expensive vinegar is Sam's Club). I hang clothes on the clothes line as much as possible. When I use the dryer, I've added a pair of dryer balls to reduce the static. They also reduce drying time by 25-50 percent. After some testing, I found they work better than tennis balls. For general household cleaning: I use bleach/water as a kitchen disinfectant when mixed 1 quart water and 1 t. bleach - I keep it in a spritz bottle. Or I could use expensive pop-up Clorox wipes. Alcohol/water -50/50 and use it daily on my bathroom counters/faucets, and general floor cleaning in the bathroom - mixture in a spritz bottle. Vinegar - good cleaner for no-wax floors, and Borax and/or soda (an endless list cleaning uses). I wash windows with water/cornstarch solution. I've used a container of Simple Green for several years because I measure it carefully, since it's concentrated. I'm a clean freak, but I pass up the expensive, highly advertised, stuff. This is a very low-budget area for me, so if you have some specific needs I haven't thought of, fire away and perhaps someone will contribute a frugal answer or substitute. -Grainlady...See MoreGrocery Prices for Today.
Comments (16)I shopped last week at Sharp Shopper. Celery, 69â, broccoli 59â a pound, cucumbers 39â each. They had Domino Pure Cane sugar 5 lbs 2.99. I'm stocking up on that; I have 20 lbs now. I only buy one brand of milk; it is $3.49 a gallon. The best find for me was WHITE potatoes. They had 10 lb bags for $7 something and 5 lb bags for $3 something. They also had 10 lb bags of the same potatoes, in bags that were marked "unclassified." On the bag it explained what that meant: misshaped, possibly a cut or black spot, etc. They were $2.99 a bag. I got the unclassified ones. They are perfect after you peel them. I've made soup, and today I made potato salad. They have that good earthy flavor that white potatoes have. A few are big enough to bake. I will surely buy those again if they have them when I need potatoes. BTW on the bag it said "Grown in the USA." I do love a bargain. Sue...See Moregrocery prices & family issues
Comments (12)Thanks everyone-some good points. I have done a detailed budget of where our money goes-food mainly! Feeding 5 adults and two kids is a big task and of course if you don't pay for it you tend not to be very economical with it,I try to provide us with good food without going over the top financially, we don't buy snacky rubbish food, everything is expensive at the moment-i saw half cabbages at the supermarket last week for $2.50!And yes our electricity bill is exorbitant, daughter and SIL run their air con all night in summer-I can't do much about that but i am going to introduce some other things that should help to reduce electricity costs-restrict clothes dryer and dishwasher use for starters, we don't use our air con and my son has his on a timer. I think what I will do is wait until after xmas and then call a family meeting and say unless finances can be more fairly distributed we'll have to give up sharing-My daughter is a tough cookie and SIL basically does as he's told! So he just follows her lead, my husband always drops the price of things into conversations-several nights ago when we were clearing up after dinner he said something about the electricity bill being nearly $700 and the silence was deafening-good way to clear a room! Luckily we have most of it direct debited from our account fortnightly otherwise we'd never pay it. The last time i had a money conversation with my daughter she said "oh you always complain-you don't pay my car insurance anymore that saves you $100 a month"-up until early this year i used to pay her car insurance but put a stop to it when she changed cars. She also always brings up the fact that my son doesn't pay any board etc-it's no good pointing out that he has been a full time student up until now and doesn't have any money to contribute and that when she was his age she had a full time job and never paid any board! The rent on this house is not all that high for it's size and location-if we move out we'll probably be paying more rent that we do now but hopefully save in other directions, food, electricity etc. i think living independantly would be good for them and an eye opener-she just doesn't get a lot of things, for instance the phone. Our phone bills are about $150 to $180 a month which is not too bad, they have their own mobiles. If I suggest they share the phone she'll say well I don't use it much and i say neither do I but we all do use it on occasion and we couldn't not have it so why don't we share the cost-no way!Last bill there was a $10 charge for some silly phone in competition that my SIL entered and i said to him that he could give me the $10 as it was his calls-still waiting for it! About 6 months ago we had a big money talk and she did actually agree that it was unfair that we paid for everything and said she'd start giving us $150 a fortnight towards groceries etc but I only ever got one payment-after that it was always some reason she couldn't do it-her car needed registering, now......See MoreProduce delivery services: Misfits Market vs. Hungry Harvest
Comments (10)From what I discern from the websites, it is about 20 bucks for a delivery for 2 people's worth....It is interesting if you are in their delivery area to check out ediej1209. If I buy at the grocery store (either Aldi or an East Coast chain) I definitely spend that. My issue with grocery produce is that I don't care to or have time to go to the store multiple times a week so produce can go bad on me. I have access to incredible markets but I feel that I spend a lot more there, with the benefit of it being fresher. I feel like the "seconds" are fresher than a supermarket and I can eat a misshapen squash with no worries.Just heard about this the other day and it sounds interesting. I used to do a coop thing but you had to pick up at a particular time and it wasn't always well rounded....rutabega and no greens didn't help....and if I was stuck at work then I paid for food I didn't get and my work is one where the day might seem like i am leaving at 3 and then something happens and I am there until 8. I was hoping someone else had done my leg work!!!!!!...See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

HOME TECHHome Tech: There's an Easier, Affordable Future for Home Automation
Say goodbye to the headaches and high price of current systems, and hello to home automation products for the masses
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen Sinks: Stainless Steel Shines for Affordability and Strength
Look to a stainless steel sink for durability and sleek aesthetics at a budget-minded price
Full Story
HOME TECH3 Kitchen Contraptions You Won’t Believe
Pizza hot from the printer, anyone? These cooking gadgets harness imagination and high tech — and have price tags to match
Full Story
LIFE13 Ways to Keep the Peace With Roommates
A few ground rules will help you sidestep conflicts over dirty dishes, laundry, decorating, groceries and more
Full Story
LOFTSHouzz Tour: Asian Elegance With an Industrial Edge
Once a grocery warehouse, this Denver loft is now stocked with a mix of dramatic, raw and refined pieces
Full Story
LIFEA Savvy Shopper's Secrets to Sales
Kelly Hancock knows a good deal when she sees it. Here's how she saves up to 75 percent off everything
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Off the Grid in the Remote Washington Wilderness
Not only does this house run on solar power, but it was built with it too
Full Story
SELLING YOUR HOUSE10 Ways to Boost Your Home's Resale Value
Figure out which renovations will pay off, and you'll have more money in your pocket when that 'Sold' sign is hung
Full Story
KITCHEN MAKEOVERSSee a Kitchen Refresh for $11,000
Budget materials, some DIY spirit and a little help from a friend turn an impractical kitchen into a waterfront workhorse
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREWhat the Heck Is 'Good' Design Anyway?
We yearn for it and strive for it, but good home design isn't always easy to grasp. These 8 prescriptions from an architect can help
Full StorySponsored
User