Produce delivery services: Misfits Market vs. Hungry Harvest
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (10)
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Discussions
Problem finding market
Comments (47)Thanks - larger market wanted money and insurance certificate with application, I emailed them asking if they would hold my check until they guaranteed the space (since this is nonprofit run by volunteers I wanted to make sure 1 person didn't cash the check while another collected names & decided who to give space to!). Also asked if I could wait and have certificate sent to them after I was approved since it will cost me $50 to get certificate. I hope this didn't come across too much as PITA, but they also wanted "specific items to be sold" - so I started typing out a list of all my seeds for them, said in email "Some are guaranteed spots in the beds, but others I am not sure would be good sellers based on sales at X market last year, though they might be in yours. If you have any "must haves" please indicate those in your reply and I will be sure to plant those. Of course, I cannot guarantee that everything I plant will make it to market due to weather, pests, or disease losses." I also found last year that I didn't quite have enough of some things to support 2 markets, but I had enough of others (esp. tomatoes) to sell wholesale and to sell to people at DH's work, either the next day (leftovers) or midweek (with 3-4 days to go til next market!). So online orders, in addition to the Thurs/Fri deliveries at work and weekend farmstand, might work out well with a Wed night market. Last year was tough with Fri AM orders going to work and Fri night market. Of course I can do "preorders" to deliver at market too, that might work out esp. well with things in short supply, or eggs that need to be kept cool (if they pick up at the beginning of market). Oh, I just got email from town Ag commission - they're updating the farm map and want $25 to add (or keep) a farm, to go towards printing costs. I don't think I can get on the online map without being on print, though I MAY be able to get listed on website without being on the map (they haven't updated the listings yet). Think it's worth it since I'm on the outskirts of town? They'd have to redraw the map since they don't go far enough west to show the main road that I have frontage on (in another town). I don't want them to add a circle with a vague location on my "official" address where I don't have frontage. Everyone would get confused like the tax assessor did when they came out to see the house after we built!...See More2nd Misfits box came!
Comments (102)Good haul! I made my next selections and some add-ons. Just about out of last weeks veg. If you grow celery, can you just cut off a few stalks to use and let the plant continue to grow in the soil? The pic posted above, the big plant, nearly 3 ft tall and 2 and 1/2 wide was planted early spring and was harvested all summer up until Thanksgiving. Cutting 3-5 thin stalks with leaves as needed. Starting from a good organic root end. The harvested stalks are not like store bought...about the size of a chopstick but used similar. I also grow par-cel...a parsley that has a celery flavor. I do grow 'traditional' celery where you plant a row deep, then cover up with soil/clean peat or coir as it grows. Then get 8-12 decent plants all at the same time. The deck potted plant right outside the kitchen is celery for months. Just needs rooting time indoors....See MoreMisfitMarket members....the Marketplace
Comments (11)sleevendog, my daughter loves the gluten free Tate's cookies, says they are actually good! I've gotten a few things from the Marketplace, I got a great buy on quinoa and some good olive oil. This last time I got the Red Hot blue chips and the package was smashed and the chips were crumbs. I got an immediate credit to my account when I sent a picture, their customer service is really good. This was my latest box, I also get them twice a month, I order on Tuesdays and get the box the following Wednesday. No matter which time I choose, one or the other is inconvenient and I don't like having to hover over the computer until orders are taken exactly at 4 pm or you'll get nothing but greens. Other than the timing, though, I've been very happy. I'll keep getting boxes until the garden starts "coming in", then I'll be overwhelmed with produce and will suspend the shipments until fall/winter when I need good produce again. Annie...See MoreOn-line food shopping, UmamiCart, Misfits, iGourmet, etc....
Comments (11)We are very brand-oriented so like many these days, get specific items from specific companies. - Use our local supermarket chain for certain items. Toilet paper, some basic produce (their produce is, interestingly, more local-oriented and frankly better/riper than Whole Paycheck). They are the only ones, for example, who carry the hydroponic Kumato tomatoes, the Kobayashi Farms artisanal romaine, and real Tuscan melons from a Central Coast farm that only picks when the brix levels are judged high enough. I try to get them from on-line ordering, but sometimes going into the store is the only way. - I use Imperfect Foods (formerly Imperfect Produce) altho as mentioned above, they are very flawed. Still, they have some items I have a hard time finding elsewhere. We love their Great River potato chips - much fresher than the stale stuff in the stores. And thru IF we have discovered some specialty items we would never have discovered otherwise, as they often will feature 'special buy' items for a month or two. I love the Zoi honey yogurt, and again, not easy to find in most stores but IF usually has it. IF also introduced us to Stepladder Creamery's Ragged Point brie-style cheese, which is now a staple in our house. - Normally don't like Stonewall Kitchen products - jams & sauces too sweet - but they carry the Tillen Farms Pickled Baby Cucumbers (cornichons) which are a special variety they grow. They are pickled with fresh dill, onion and garlic, so the brine is mellow rather than harsh; should be refrigerated for a day prior to opening so they will become super-crunchy. For serving you can bring them to room temp. - Some items I get through Amazon. Only use Whole Food on rare occasions, since I dislike their meat/fish/produce. - We get our jam from the WeLoveJam folks, after a NYT article mentioned them. It's a couple who bought one of the few remaining farms left in Silicon Valley, CA, and for over 20 yrs has been making great jams, including some rare fruit varieties like limequat. Their Blenheim Apricot jam has less sugar than any other artisanal brand we've tried, and really tastes like fresh fruit. Sadly, they are trying to retire so have the farm up for sale - one day soon I'm afraid I'll get an email saying they're finally found a buyer who will take over the farm! They want to keep it a farm, but that's a hard sell these days, especially with our drought conditions and climbing interest rates. There is a small independent specialty market we started using more often during the lockdown. I really wish they did delivery, or at least a pick-up service, but unfortunately it's walk-in only. Excellent meat, dairy, and cheese depts. Otherwise, we have numerous ethnic markets around so no real need to mail order. Ethiopian injera, Mexican markets and bakeries, Caribbean grocers, Eastern European delis, Asian/SE Asian/Indo-Chinese markets; along with scores of herbs, coffee and tea purveyors, are all reachable by car within our county. Interestingly, a number of the Thai/Laotian restaurants lately are making their own versions of sai oua, the super-spicy pork sausage, and also sell it in frozen 1-lb pkgs on the side. Used to be that only one or two eateries did it, but now we know of at least half a dozen in our own town that are willing to sell their sai oua retail. Surprising because that's not common for any other Asian restaurants. Chinese restaurants sometimes will have a deli section, but that's as far as it goes....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

EDIBLE GARDENSHow to Grow Your Own Sweet Summer Crops
This guide will help any gardener get started on growing the freshest warm-season veggies and berries for summer
Full Story
DESIGN PRACTICEDesign Practice: How to Ensure the Best Client Experience
Pro to pro: Learn about standard procedures to make clients happy and things easier on you
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGOff the Grid: Ready to Pull the Plug on City Power?
What to consider if you want to stop relying on public utilities — or just have a more energy-efficient home
Full Story
COMMUNITYGet a Bird's-Eye View of America's Housing Patterns
See the big picture of how suburban developments are changing the country's landscape, with aerial photos and ideas for the future
Full Story
LIFERetirement Reinvention: Boomers Plot Their Next Big Move
Choosing a place to settle in for the golden years? You're not alone. Where boomers are going and what it might look like
Full Story
SMALL SPACESCould You Live in a Tiny House?
Here are 10 things to consider if you’re thinking of downsizing — way down
Full Story
HEALTHY HOME12 Ways to Set Up Your Kitchen for Healthy Eating
Making smart food choices is easier when your kitchen is part of your support team
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSHow Much It Costs to Work With an Architect
Learn what architects do and how they charge for their work
Full Story
FURNITUREDecorating 101: How to Shop for Furniture
Learn what furniture to get rid of, what to look for when buying, and how to avoid mistakes
Full Story
MOST POPULAR6 Kitchen Flooring Materials to Boost Your Cooking Comfort
Give your joints a break while you're standing at the stove, with these resilient and beautiful materials for kitchen floors
Full Story
AnneOriginal Author