SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debyork2

grocery prices & family issues

Debyork2
18 years ago

I just wondered if maybe i could get some unbiased advice and see what others think about this situation-for the last two years my husband and I have shared a large rental house with my daughter and son in law and their two small children(only one at first second baby born last year), our 17 year old son also lives with us, my daughter and SIL are young only just in their twenties and when we first started sharing their income was really low-about $900 a fn ours about a $1000 a week. Since then things have changed a lot -their income has risen to the same level as ours was(and due to rise again by about another $300 a week in january) and our income has dropped by about $200 a week. the rent on this house is $400 a week and the original agreement was we paid $210 and they paid $190 plus $10 per week towards electricity. We buy all the groceries(about $250 to $300 a week),our share of the electricity is $200 a month, we pay all the phone bill-about $150 a month, the internet connection, everything in other words. Their sole contribution to household expenses is the $200 a week plus they buy their own toiletries and stuff for the kids-nappies stuff like that. Consequently we are stony broke, we have no money a couple of days after pay day and are really struggling even tho we both work. i have tried to talk to my daughter about it but she just gets huffy-says that was what we agreed etc etc. now she isn't talking to me at all because she wants to move to a bigger house so the baby has his own room and i have told her we can't afford to move, so she says they will move out on their own which is fine but means we will be stuck with a $400 a week house with no money to move(the lease is only in our name). In theory we should be ok money wise , we have no debts except a couple of credit cards but we are constantly broke - my daughter says we should budget better! The whole situation is driving me crazy and i can see us ending up living in a cardboard box somewhere- maybe someone has some ideas?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions