SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

OT - Just one of those days

cpartist
6 years ago

Many of you know we sold our condo and are now renting a different unit in the same building.

We went to friends for Thanksgiving and I was tasked with making the pies and the zucchini bread. Monday I made the zucchini breads. Tuesday I made the pie crust dough. Wednesday I made the pumpkin pie. Thursday morning I left for making the apple pie.

Let me preface that my sink is in a corner and is a butterfly sink similar to this:

The disposal is on the right side and the left side is just a regular sink. Above the sinks are cabinets that are only 15" above the sink. Hey it's a rental, it was clean and the views are great.

Peeled all the apples and threw the peels down the disposal in small batches. Turned the water on and ran the disposal after each batch. So far so good.

Next I cored all the apples and cut them up into slices. Threw the cores down the disposal in small batches. Turned the water on and ran the disposal after each batch. So far so good.

Threw the small cuttings of the small parts left over that I didn't use down the disposal in small batches. Turned the water on and ran the disposal after each batch. So far so good.

Mixed my apples, spices, sugars, etc. Rolled out my bottom pie dough and put it in the pie plate. Added the apples to the plate and realized I really needed 1 more apple which I happened to have in my fridge.

Went to the fridge, washed the apple, peeled it and threw the peels down the disposal. Turned on the water and then the disposal. Not so good this time. The left side (the side without the disposal) exploded with chopped up apple peels and who knows what else! It went everywhere. On me. On the cabinets. Under the cabinets. Even inside one of the cabinets. Also the stove is literally right next to the sink. I'm sure some is behind there too.

The dog heard the explosion and ran for cover to her crate. I said lots of choice words I won't repeat. DH wasn't around because he was volunteering at our local aquarium where he's a guide. I was covered in water and apple peels. Definitely not one of my finer moments as I stood there with what had to be a bewildered expression on my face, water (and peels) dripping off my hair and glasses.

After staring at the mess for what seemed like an eternity, I finally grabbed the roll of paper towels and started wiping up the mess. Except I had forgotten to first wipe myself off so of course the peels and the water were dripping onto whatever I had just wiped up. Finally my brain engaged again, and I realized I needed to first clean myself off.

Once I was reasonably sure the cabinets and under the cabinets were no longer dripping water and peels, I proceeded to finish the pie, get it in the oven and get it baked.

So later that day, as the pie was cooling, I went to shower. The shower I use in our rental is right next to the kitchen. Turned the water on, waited for it to warm up and got in. However I was thinking, "Gee, the water doesn't seem to be draining all that well."

Got my hair washed and part of me washed and realized I'd better get out because by now the water in the shower was almost past my ankles and any further, it would be splashing out of the shower. The dang shower took over almost 2 hours to drain! (And yes the first thing I checked was to see if there was hair covering the drain.)

It's now Friday afternoon, and right now I'm sitting here listening to the plumbers in the bathroom. They've been here for over an hour trying to get past whatever the blockage is that is causing our water to back up and what caused the sink to explode yesterday.

Our housekeeper is also here today which is a good thing because they are bringing up dirty sludge into the shower. I'm just hoping they figure it out and fix it before she has to leave. Right now, my wonderful housekeeper is in the kitchen making sure I didn't miss any spots of peel on the cabinets. She tells me I did.

Today I can laugh at it. Yesterday it wasn't quite so humorous.

Comments (21)