SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin_d

Adventures in Canning (one of those days)

robin_d
15 years ago

I can't be the only one who's had one of those days where it seems that the Goddess of Canned Goodness was in a pissy mood, but yesterday it was starting to feel personal.

Last Saturday I bought 2 boxes of nectarines and a box of pears, which weren't ripe enough to can yet. Yesterday was the day they decided it was time for me to can them. My first foray into canning fruit, so naturally I bit off more than I could chew, dumb noob that I am, lol...

First up - the nectarines. Got one box done, but one quart jar broke in the canner during the first batch (gads, what a mess!) and one didn't seal. OK, well, these things happen, right? The second batch was only 5 quarts because I cut myself with the paring knife and decided to take it as a hint that I'd had enough... and for some reason, when I pulled the jars out of the canner after the requisite 5 minute rest with the lid off, the syrup in a couple jars decided to siphon out all over my counter (gads, what a mess!) All 5 sealed though, so we'll just eat the less-filled jars first, but it was still a very, very frustrating day of canning.

I used wide-mouth quarts, and raw packed the sliced nectarines (because it's easier) in a very light syrup. BWB, following NCHFP directions. Yes, they are floating, but I expected that... will they sink eventually?

Now I'm waiting for the DW to finish so I can do it all over again... but the sight of that other big box of nectarines (not to mention the pears and all the plums we picked off our tree) has me feeling a bit overwhelmed. I just hope the Goddess of Canned Goodness is in a better mood today.

I can't be the only one who's felt this way... can I?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus