SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
portlandmysteryrose

Survey/opinions/experiences: which purple tolerates shade the best?

portlandmysteryrose
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Calling all unconventional, experimental, intuitive, determined and undaunted shade gardening antique rose consultants! I'm considering planting 1 of 3 large purples in what amounts to serious shadowlands. I know. We NEVER plant our roses in heavy shade because we are painfully aware that roses fail to thrive without sunlight, dappled at the very darkest. But if I were to break the rules--hypothetically, of course-- ignoring the needs of my long suffering plants, which of the following 3 victims would be the least miserable in your opinions?

Background:

In the past, I have grown all 3 of these purple beauties in shade with some degree of success, but I would like to learn more from your diverse experiences about their shade tolerance and the ways shade affects their health, growth and bloom. I chose the following candidates: (1) Erinnerung an Brod because it's a lush and luscious Hybrid Setigera and Setigeras can usually handle shade. EaB also makes my heart sing! Ditto the following Hybrid Multifloras: (2) Veilchenblau and (3) Russelliana. Heart music production is a deal-breaking requirement in my garden!

:-) Carol

Comments (14)