SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vicissitudez

Heat-tolerant, tough purple rose... ID ideas?

Vicissitudezz
8 years ago

Here are a few photos of a rose I found growing in a tangle of weeds and vines (right next to the 'Mademoiselle Cécile Brünner' I posted photos of recently). It was May of 2014 when I saw this flower, and I need to revisit soon to look for blooms this year. I always seem to time my visits to my friend's garden so that I miss 'the big show', but sometimes I do see some flowers...

My first thought was 'Reine des Violettes', but I had started to doubt that ID even before I read the 'RdV' thread where I read that RdV should have a blue tint to her foliage, and a gray tint to her purple flowers.

I then started wondering about Hybrid Chinas, but have no experience with that class, so don't really know what 'signs' to look for.

I'm 90% sure I've successfully rooted at least two plants from this 'donor', although I haven't seen any purple blooms yet, so I'm not completely certain. Somehow they ended up next to my 'Cardinal de Richelieu', and I notice that the foliage is similar in many respects.

I don't think this rose reblooms, although it's possible that I've just managed to miss later flowers. You can't tell from the photos, but the blooms were quite fragrant.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Virginia

Comments (29)