SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathyaman4

need help finding Marianne Rose

kathyaman4
6 years ago

I would love to add Marianne to my collection of roses. I refuse to buy from Rogue Valley due to the rude horrible customer service I received on numerous occasions. Is there another rose company that offers this beautiful rose or am I out of luck? If so, is there a similar rose that has the same coloring , fragrance and form so maybe I can come close? Thanks

Comments (64)

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    6 years ago

Northland Rosarium carried Marianne at one time. Maybe give them a call? Mine is from RVR and is a favorite. If you can’t get it any other way, I would also say give RVR another chance. Maybe things have improved.

-Chris

• Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

Sheila, are you aware of what happened to James? All I got from the rude was he's no longer with us. I sure do miss him.

Kathy she has had a bit of a attitude years ago once or twice, but I believe stress and unreliable help doesn't help. Also I don't recall the number but I know she is getting up in years.

Carol I wish someone would go help them out as well. They do need it, and it would be a disaster should we not have them at all.

• Related Discussions

Help Me Find Roses needs help

Q

Comments (17)
    HMF also does a tremendous amount of work to support small rose nurseries. They make it easy for us to post our current inventory, puts us in front of new customers and in a great feature allows us to notify people looking for roses we have in stock. The latter is done by everytime you put a rose on your HMF wish list we can match it to our current inventory. If we have it we can mass email through HMF to everyone looking for it. So if you see a rose on HMF you want please click the "add to my wish list" (you have to be logged in to your account to see it) so we can let you know when we have it. Paul
    ...See More

apartment living I need roses help me find a couple

Q

Comments (21)
    Hi, Angelsmama. I, too, downsized from a large rose garden when I moved a few years ago. I believe I've begun to appreciate the roses that I do still grow even more than I did the many I used to grow. My roses and I are more intimate. Diminutive choices: there are lots that grow well in pots. (That sounds a little Dr. Seussish, doesn't it?) I grew up in Dallas, TX, and found/find these to be good bets: Frances Dubreuil, Marie Pavie, Ducher, Hermosa, Souvenir de la Malmaison, Clotilde Soupert, Martha Gonzales, and Baby Faurax. Frances (which you mentioned as a first choice), Marie P, Souvenir, and Clotilde are fragrant. Please do post pics of your pot pets! -Carol
    ...See More

Need help to find out the name of my Rose.

Q

Comments (4)
    He used to grow it as a short climber. I don't live in us. but temperature here can rise up to 40 celsius (104 Fahrenheit) and in winter it can drop to -5 celsius(23 Fahrenheit) sometimes it drops as Low as -10 celsius(14 fahrenheit) This winter was relatively warm though.
    ...See More

Revitalizing a Rose Collection, Rose ID Help Needed

Q

Comments (7)
    I'll be negative help. Do you have a master list of what is supposed to be there? The last one isn't a gallica, but looks like some sort of rugosa hybrid. I also don't think the next to last one is Darlow's Enigma. The growth habit looks all wrong to me, since DE isn't really a climber, but an extremely awkward shrub. It also has some of the most vicious thorns I've run into in the sense that is captures its prey and doesn't let go, rather like recurved shark teeth. Somewhere around here is a tutorial on how to take pictures for rose IDs. In general, photos of thorns, leaves, petioles and peduncles are more informative than flower pictures. Is it possible the second rose is a Morden? It doesn't look or sound like an Alba to me.
    ...See More
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

I got the impression James left for some positive development in his life. I do think Janet is almost 80 and it probably is physically more than she can handle. She has always been lovely to me. I think Christopher would be perfect, but he wants to stay on the East Coast. Maybe ARE could send a talented underling. I can't imagine Janet being rude, so I am envisioning some other staffer lacking people skills. I think most people would find a job like this difficult at the owner's age.

• Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

She wasn't particularly rude, but it can come off as such when someone is stressed. You could tell, Or atleast I could what was wrong. That was years ago though, and it did come off wrong on me at the time, but James saved the day. I later came to understand Janet more. James was such a pleasure to deal with, and always helped me when choosing roses. I hope he is doing well with whatever he chose to do, I felt he would always be a good person to run the company when Janet was unable to do so. The last time we talked ( Janet and I, earlier this year) , you could just tell it was all taking a toll on her. I didn't even bother worrying her about the small issue I was having because , as I said above if anything were to happen to them, you would sure miss them when they were gone. I know I would. I do wish like, for example ( even though this has not happened to me), if your rose turns out to be the wrong rose, how they now charge you to send the right rose is a bit too much. Or at least it states that on their page and I saw some reviews from new customers complaining about it. I do not feel as though that is right, and it doesn't help them to keep new customers.. I agree Christopher would be perfect..maybe he will change is mind :) I hear it's quite a beautiful country :)

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

"Paul, given that Marianne is a Duchesse de Montebello and Abe Darby
    cross, and both parents are hardy buggers, do you think she would thrive
    in 4b Minneapolis?"

I am hesitant to guess, really, and that's all it would be is a guess. I expect there are growers in USDA Zone 4 who have attempted to grow the rose, and perhaps those folks could report on their experiences. I think it would be more useful to get actual data from those with direct experience than having me guess ;-)

PS: On HMF, I see two gardens in Zone 4 that say they grow (or have grown) this rose: Tatiana near Moscow, in Russia, and Jardin Botanique de Montreal Botanical Garden, in Quebec, CA.

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Thank you for the feedback, Paul! I hope northern gardeners on the forum chime in about their experiences with Marianne in cold climates. I'm going to check out Northland's rose list since Chris mentioned that it has carried Marianne in the past. I think Joy Creek should offer her. Marianne is JC's kind of rose! I may attempt to schedule a chat with the owner in the (hopefully) not too distant future. Scappoose is a mere 45 minutes from my house. Carol

• mariannese
    6 years ago

I am a northern gardener, on the 59th parallel in Sweden, and Marianne is perfectly hardy here. A little too vigorous perhaps for a gallica. I didn't expect it to grow over the neighbors' very tall hedge. My USDA zone is 5b computed after average winter temperatures but zones can't be accurately compared between northern Europe and North America.

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Great to know, Mariannese! Thank you. Carol

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Sheila, your Marianne and Star are both spectacular. Researching Star.... Carol

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

I agree with Mariannese - my Marianne was tip hardy in zone 5a US last winter so I think it'd survive and bloom fine in zone 4 even if it lost a bit of cane over the winter. Can't wait to see this spring's bloom now that it's got some cane growth behind it in its second year!

Cynthia

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Great news, Cynthia! Carol

• Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN)
    6 years ago

To those inquiring as to whether Marianne is a viable rose in zone 4, I live in Hastings, MN(about 30 minutes south of Minneapolis) and grow Marianne. This will be her third winter in the ground, and the only damage I've ever had on her has been from rabbits, not the cold. One of the few roses I take no extra precautions for, she is a true Gallica girl here in MN, and gives our winters a hearty sneer. I also grow Paul's Barbara Oliva, and Siren's Keep. Barbara is quite winter hardy, although I can't comment on Siren's Keep, as it is new in the ground this year. Just wanted to chime in. Mr Barden is one of the few folks who has bred recent introductions which thrive in my Northern garden, and are just as beautiful and fragrant as my beloved antiques.

• Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN)
    6 years ago

As an aside, Rose Petals Nursery, in Florida, carries a few of Paul's roses including Siren's Keep and Mel's Heritage. I don't believe they have any of the gallicas, as they don't get enough chill hours down there to grow them successfully.

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Thanks, Karen! Carol

• patty57
    6 years ago

For those who grow this lovely rose, Marianne, have you experienced any suckering from it? I ordered mine from Northland in 2016 and it has suckered somewhat. Paul has mentioned in a thread that it does not sucker for him. I have not gotten a substantial bloom from it yet so I am hoping I do not have a rose that was sent to me in error. I plan and hope to ID it from some of the photos Paul has provided for us by its foliage. Difficult for me to do this sometimes.

Patty

• jerijen
    6 years ago

I should talk to Cydney about sending her some 'Carolyn Supinger' cuttings.

• llailiall
    5 years ago

Reviving this thread, any one seen Marianne offered? I’m hoping to get a fall planting in.

• Deborah MN zone 4
    5 years ago

I recently searched for Marianne and found it listed only at RVR where it is out of stock. I added my name to the waiting list but no indication of when it might be available. I am waiting for October Moon as well.

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would call rvr. Sometimes if they only have a few rooted Rose's available, they dont list them, but if you call, they can get you the rose.

• kathyaman4
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I will not purchase from RVR ever again. Many of the ones I purchased are WRONG and mislabeled. She ( the owner) was beyond RUDE. There are so many other amazing rose growers to purchase from, I do not need to be treated poorly. She was very unprofessional and I will not be giving her my money.

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

I've had a few mislabeled from them, but not near the amount as right. We are low on the nurseries that sell certain types of Rose's, so may have to bite the bullet so to speak if its something you really want. I'm sorry if she was rude, but everyone has bad days. She is really up in age and it made have been a bad or stressful day. I know they have had a lot of staff changes. But what you need to realize is all nurseries are mom and pop operations, and are not run by professional business owners, but rose lovers. We have lost enough rose nurseries because they cannot afford to stay open, or for other reasons. We cannot afford to lose another. I support all of them the best I can. I agree RVR has made mistakes, but once they are gone I for sure will miss them.

This is no excuse for them, and I'm sorry if you got treated badly. I was just trying to explain. She and I have bumped heads once, but come to find out it was a misunderstanding. I talked to her about it and I'm glad I did. They do make mistakes though and I know its frustrating.

Oh and because I called, I got Marianne, hopefully, this last Spring.

Also Kathy, I'm sorry your thread was revived, but my answer was for the two people above me, who was trying to find the rose. Just letting you know. My post wasn't for you. You've had your answer.

5 years ago

I have had lovely roses from RVRs. I have a hard time imaging Janet Inada being rude. I wonder if it was another employee. I do know running a nursery at her age is a very brave and dedicated thing to do. My last Spring order was all correctly named.

• kathyaman4
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It was her-Janet, and it was not a one time thing. She messed up a few times with me as I gave her 3 chances to correct the many issues.

Glad it all worked for you all though. I have moved onto ARE, Roses Unlimited , Burlington etc

I ordered Star of the Republic from Antique Rose Emporium. So wonderful!! Looks almost identical to Marianne.

to--- Alana8aSC-----I started the post re Marianne so I get alerts on all of the posts. I guess a new post could be started so I no longer get these.

Happy rose gardening to you all :)

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

Kathy, I know you started the post. I know you get alerts, that's why I said that my comment was for the two above me who revived it. Sorry if you misunderstand me. I hope you garden is doing well :)

Do you have pictures of Star of the republic? I'm glad it doing well and looks similar. I do order from Burlington and firstly Linda, at longago, because they are cheapest. But for harder to find gallicas and hybrid chinas and such, well you go where you can get what you want. I ,of course, order from RU, since they are in S.C. like me. Sadly ARE doesn't have anything I'm looking for much anymore. But they are awesome to order from!

Happy Gardening and rose hunting!! :)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

I know Alana! I've been slowly working my way through ar e entire inventory! I just wish our VR had more in stock so I could just order everything once and pay for shipping one since it's so expensive.

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

I know!! But if you call they may have enough instock to order. They didnt have enough for me either until I called.

• Deborah MN zone 4
    5 years ago

Hello. I am hoping to bump this thread up in order to let everyone know that Barden’s Marianne is back in stock at Rogue Valley. I verified my order yesterday. I have tried unsuccessfully three times to post - perhaps commenting will work.

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    5 years ago

Thanks Deborah! I just ordered one!

• ac91z6
    5 years ago

It's already showing 'Out of stock' on the website. Congratulations to everyone who got one!

• Dave5bWY
    last year

FYI - showing in stock a RVR at the moment.

https://roguevalleyroses.com/rose/marianne/

• Ross 5b IA
    last year

Aaaand it's already listed as "out of stock" at RVR again. For those looking for another supplier, I ordered three plants from Dancing Oaks Nursery -- though they're presently out of stock as well. I can't comment on their quality, as they won't arrive till spring, but the reviews on the Garden Watchdog are encouraging. And they allow you to subscribe to receive notice when more plants are available -- so, another option to consider!

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

Assuming they are supplying the correct rose (with RVR, that's a large assumption), it boggles the mind why they don't propagate more of one of their most popular roses. It ALWAYS sells out in hours. You'd think simple economics and a desire for profit would encourage them to have Marianne in stock as much as possible! If the mother plant isn't large enough to supply more propagation material, stop the sale of Marianne for a year or two and GROW MORE MOTHER PLANTS.

Sheesh.

• User
    last year
    last modified: last year

I've ordered many times from RVR, and will continue to do so, despite the occasional hiccup, so I'm not disparaging them. But I did want to give a heads up to anyone on their waitlists. I've noticed that I've been getting the "back in stock" notices some time after the website is updated. In one case I had noticed an item was back in stock, ordered it, and had it for a couple weeks before I got the email notification. It might have something to do with the order of people on the waitlist?? But I have no idea. Just thought I'd let people know. If I really want something, I've had better luck bookmarking and checking regularly.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    last year

Its showing in stock again :)

• Josg Maggsib
    12 months ago

My Marianne from rvr came with a bloom. But my umbra band is not doing well.

12 months ago

You don't say where you are located, but I bet Umbra will be fine. That old foliage will be replaced by new healthy foliage soon.

• User
    11 months ago

@Josg Maggsib I hope you didn't plant those roses as soon as you received them. Its always better to let them catch their breath for a a week or two before planting them in the garden. Better still, pot them into a larger pot for a few months before setting them out in the garden.

• Josg Maggsib
    11 months ago

Yes I planted them right away! Lesson learned. Hope they pull through!

11 months ago

Marianne is listed as in stock at Rogue Valley Roses! I also got a correctly labeled William III. I am thrilled.

• Josg Maggsib
    11 months ago

my umbra band this morning. putting on healthy leaf growth. do you deadhead bands?

11 months ago

I don't think it matters on once blooming gallicas, Josg. Umbra is beautiful.

Correction, I got Dominie Sampson instead of William III. It is beautiful too.

Here with Carolyn Supinger (red).

• User
    11 months ago

@Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR 'Carolyn' is doing well for you!

11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I'll say, Paul. Carolyn is absolutely adorable. It is startling how gorgeous she is. Thank you.

• Ross 5b IA
    7 months ago

PSA: 'Marianne' is back in stock (AND on sale) at RVR. I've received nothing but healthy roses from them, but it's a bit of a crapshoot as to whether they're correctly-labeled varieties... and that's quite a risk, for cold zones.

By the way, I mentioned that I'd ordered three 'Marianne' from Dancing Oaks Nursery -- and all three turned out to be mislabeled. Sigh... I ended up ordering them custom-propagated from a trustworthy grower, but it's a bit of a wait, of course.

• User
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

I have several well-established plants of 'Marianne' in 3x3x6 bands available for shipment immediately. Guaranteed true to name! No guessing, no "rose roulette" - guaranteed to be the correct variety.

• johntweimer
    7 months ago

Hello Paul! I have always been impressed with the photos of this rose of yours. Anyway to get one to me in Ohio. Getting one direct from the breeder would be extra special. Like an autographed book or something. Let me know in PM what you would need to make it happen. Thanks, John

• johntweimer
    7 months ago

Just sent an email thanks!

• User
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

I still have plants of 'Marianne' available for Fall delivery. DM me to inquire.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    7 months ago

Folks, I'm going to shill on Paul's behalf. If you love once-blooming roses, you have to have 'Marianne'. She is one of the most glorious sights you will ever see (at least in rosedom) when she matures. She's healthy, robust, vigorous, has a beautiful bloom, and an awesome (literally awe inducing) flush. I'm pretty sure she produces a bloom at every leaf node. She also has a wonderful fruity and damask perfume. I've said it before, this is the best modern gallica available (unless it's Gallicandy, lol). Think of it as a healthy, once-blooming Abe Darby, with 20x the blooms. Mine is still relatively small, but was one of the highlights of my Spring garden, even after the not-dear deer trimmed her.

• johntweimer
    7 months ago

Received a Marianne start from Paul. Can't wait to watch it grow. You all have teased with your beautiful pictures for long enough!