SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

Revitalizing a Rose Collection, Rose ID Help Needed

I wrote a post back in April about my new volunteer rosarian position at the Summerland Ornamental Gardens in British Columbia. Well, things are progressing and rose season is here. After pruning and fertilizing the long neglected roses earlier in the spring, they have come back superbly and are just beginning to come into full bloom. I will giving a rose tour in the gardens on June 16th.

Yesterday, I spent the day trying to identify the many varieties that we have in the garden including species roses and quite a number of once bloomers most of which are in bloom now. I took a lot of images yesterday with the hope that the experts amongst the forum members might help me confirm some of my identifications so that we can begin the task of permanent labelling.

Here are some of the ones I would like help confirming ID on:

I have tentatively ID'd this one as Nevada, 5 leaflets, approximately 3 meters ( 10 ft ) tall, any thoughts?

At first, I thought this rose was likely Great Maiden's Blush, however, on further examination, I now think is likely Konigin von Danemark. It is just over 2 meters ( 6.5 ft) tall, 7 leaflets, no scent to my nose. The color is a little off in the images, it is not peachy, but rather a blush pink.

Pretty sure this huge old climber intertwined with Honeysuckle is Darlow's Enigma, some repeat bloom throughout the season. N'est Pas?

Species rose, Rosa Gallica?

There are oh so many more, including many English Roses from the 1980's and early 90's; and, a real treasure for a garden on an Agriculture Agri-Food Canada Research Station ( AAFC); a long lost collection of the Agriculture Canada Parkland and Explorer Series roses which have been buried in a hedge of Oregon Grape for more than 20 years.

Though this is the antique forum, just so you get an idea of what we are trying to do, here are some images where we have cut back Oregon Grape that was at least 3 meters high to recover a bed of the lost AAFC bred roses.

The roses in these last images were pruned, fertilized and rejuvenated earlier this spring and they have responded with a huge flush and lots of new growth. There are still more rose bushes buried in the wild Mahonia hedge which we are still taking out.

We have many years of work ahead of us to recover, identify, rebuild and add to this rose collection in our more than century old ornamental garden, and I have many, many more rose varieties to identify and label. But it is so exciting and wonderful to be the lead on this project now that my own rose collection is quite limited. It is like working in a "Secret Garden" - Summerland Ornamental Gardens

Thanks in advance for your help with identification. I will post more of the same as time permits, including quite a few David Austin and species roses. Now if only I could find some help with identifying Morden and Explorer varieties.

Cheers, Rick

Comments (7)