SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasminerose4u

Can you tell me about qualities of the Syrian Damask rose?

Hello Antique Rose Forum members:

My supervisor is originally from Syria. Her family her fled their farmlands to come to the U.S.A. when she was a girl. They left almost everything behind, but her grandmother took cuttings of the damask rose that is grown there to make perfumes, rose water and jams. My supervisor said it is very easy to root and will bring me cuttings from the bush when she prunes it in December or January. I appreciate the history of this rose and how it got here. However, I wonder how it will do in my hot garden. I can't find any information about its heat tolerance. I assume this damask rose has a thin petal substance since it is fragrant, but is the plant itself heat tolerant? Only the toughest rose will survive my hot summers. My roses are planted on the west and southwest side of my house. I purchased my home before I understood gardening and there is no area that receives afternoon shade. Another factor to consider is that my garden is small. I read that the damask rose can grow 7 feet tall and wide. I'm wondering if it can be hard pruned. Perhaps this is a rose that I need to admire from afar (there are many of those).

Thank you!

Here's a link to a video about the damask rose in Syria:

Damask Rose starts healing from years of war in Syria

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville