SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Refresh it or gut it? Tricky kitchen layout.

biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have lived in our home (an 1890s foursquare) for about a year now and the time has come to consider a kitchen remodel. The current kitchen is in pretty good shape appliance- and cabinet-wise (with the exception of a really crappy gas range), but I dislike the cabinet color and style. The sink is also terrible - a tiny, shallow single bowl. The Corian countertops are in decent shape but I miss the durability of my old granite (and I really dislike the speckled color, it hides every crumb so I always think they're dirty!).

Aside from those relatively minor concerns, the kitchen is functional enough. Given that most of the above concerns are cosmetic, most of the time I feel like I should just live with it, or at most paint the cabs and get new counters. However, then I think about how I would have to rip out the sink cabinet and probably the corner cabinet next to it to put in a larger sink, and how I really dislike having the fridge so far from the sink, and how I'd like to replace the range with a 36" model but that would also require removing a cabinet, and suddenly it seems like I shouldn't BOTHER painting the cabs because what I really want is a whole new kitchen.

Part of what is stopping me is the space itself. The current layout is not ideal, but given the limitations of the space I'm not sure if there is a better way to arrange things. Here's the current layout (with the adjacent bath included) and a couple of photos:

Current view from the door to the backyard:

Realtor photo from the entrance from the living area (former owners didn't have an island-type table and left the middle of the room empty):

Here's how it fits into the overall scheme of the first floor of the house:

The kitchen is plenty large enough for my needs, but it is a difficult room due to the laundry (which I would love to move but really can't) and the need to keep an open pathway from the back door to the remainder of the house. We use the back entrance more than the front (the driveway/parking is back there), so the kitchen also tends to be a dumping ground for bags, etc., but they have no good place to go right now and mostly end up on the island.

Anyway, I have played around with all sorts of ideas online, from an L shape cabinet layout with a larger island to a peninsula that turns the whole thing into a galley, but I still can't figure out a way to get my major wants (larger sink, 36" cooktop, sink and fridge closer for a better work triangle) to fit. Do I just need to accept that the current layout is the best I can do, and just make the cosmetic updates? Thanks in advance for your advice - I look forward to seeing your suggestions!

Comments (39)