SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
youngdeb_gw

Finished Kitchen - 50's ranch refresh

youngdeb
11 years ago

I want to thank all of you who have weighed in on my choices, photoshopped options, and shared your trials and tribulations so that I can learn from your experiences. This is such a great community, and I learned so much from you guys!!

This is a 1952 ranch that we're slowly rehabbing. We decided to do a refresh rather than a gut for a few reasons - the cabinets and appliances were in good shape, the two original bathrooms are going to need a full gut at some point so we need to conserve money, and neither DH nor I were anxious to lose the kitchen for 3 months with two hungry boys around. With this project, we were only moved out of the kitchen for about 2 weeks, which was bearable.

The pre-reno kitchen was from 1998, and although the layout is not great, it was just going to have to stay. The finishes were beat up - paint yellowed & peeling, stains & burns on the counter, stains on the floor, scratches and gouges in the sink. DH liked the backsplash, but I was not a fan.

The only new cabinets are the island and the bar. We needed storage for pots and pans by the cooktop - I hated the open shelving of the old island. Our only budget-busting splurge is in the bar - the fridge/freezer drawers. We entertain a lot and the counter-depth fridge didn't always provide enough storage. It's been fantastic, totally worth it. OTOH, we decided not to splurge on a new micro drawer after much consideration, but maybe someday. Not enough functional improvement for financial outlay!

Wall & cabinet paint - BM White Dove
Sink & perimeter counters - custom fab stainless
Faucet - Grohe Concetto
Island and bars - luce de luna quartzite from WZ
Cabinet doors - Scherr's lyptus stained dark walnut
Floors - Marmoleum sheet in Volcanic Ash
Backsplash - Fireclay Debris in Crater Lake
Fridge/Freezer Drawers - Subzero
Stools - CB2
All other appliances - existing

Thanks again to all who helped, and to the many of you who have posted gorgeous inspiration kitchens. I wish I could say this design fully sprung out of my imagination, but the truth is most of it is copied from many of you!

Kitchen Before:

Finished Kitchen:

Comments (35)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!