SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetorenovate_gw

50's ranch - more layout help

lovetorenovate
12 years ago

Ok, I'm back with more layout help. My goals for the kitchen are: comfortable, elegant (sort of upscale cottage), easy to use, compact and efficient (this is a major downsize for us - moving into less than half the space so I realize we've got to be smart about space planning) - and the big kicker is that we're a blended family of five kids (ages 5,8,8,10,13). We will probably be in this house 3-8 years. I'm a serial renovator so unlikely to stay in one house forever, but it never stops me from making a gorgeous house. I buy them with the intention to sink money into improving them - but do it on a very tight budget. Right now I have a huge kitchen with a 5x8 island and that is where we eat 90% of the time (7 barstools, it's tight but works). But, in the new house I really really really want a banquette. I'd love a couple seats at a counter... if I can squeeze it in. Not all 5 kids get ready for school at once - they have different schools/schedules, so a place for a quick bowl of cereal for 2-3 kids is ideal. but I'll live if the only seating is at the banquette.

Here are some options. both involve stealing some space from the former dining room (which will become my office - not negotiable).

current floorplan (definitely removing wall between den and kitchen, moving door to living room so there's direct access to kitchen/den, and taking over dining room to become office for full time home based worker):

This was a option that got reviewed last week - still possible - and maybe works better with some additional changes that include closing laundry off to everything except kitchen (main back door will be thru a mud room that's created from part of the screened porch. Also the addition 30" of space stolen from the office/DR.

option one:

option two:

I feel like there are trade offs to all these plans... BTW, what I dislike most about my current kitchen (although it's pretty fabulous) - the aisle between the huge island and L area is too wide and open at 45" - we get kids running and playing behind us while we are cooking at the range. I'd actually prefer a tighter island to discourage traffic through the area. So I'm trying to keep that in mind here.

Comments (2)