SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamingoftheup

Switches & Vanity Reface Opinions Needed - My 50's Bathroom Saga

DreamingoftheUP
10 years ago

For those who didn't follow my earlier post, I'm in the process of restoring/refreshing my 1950's bathroom, keeping the tile. I've got two items in which I need some opinions.....

First is the switch/outlet setup. Currently have a ceiling light, vanity bath bar & exhaust fan (light fixtures to be replaced). Will be adding a recessed light in the tub/shower, so an additional switch is needed. In general, I really dislike despard switches. Last picture below is my current setup. I replaced the original despard switches with a combination unit Decora with 3 switches - don't like it much either.

My question is, would you replace it all with a five gang decora setup? (That would be 4 full size switches and the duplex outlet.) I'd have to use a 5 gang plate as shown below. It would roughly go from the 10" mark on the left to where the tape measure ends on the right. Or will that look like a control panel on the Enterprise?

Another option would be to go 4 gang - two full size switches for the ceiling light and fan (used most) and a duplex decora unit for the vanity bath bar and shower light and lastly the outlet.

I could also do two of the above horizontally and leave the outlet as it is. Thoughts?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars280 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz