SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twinkletoesmomma

A Solution for my tricky layout?

twinkletoesmomma
15 years ago

Here is the layout that I had drawn out at Lowes. I think I like it, but I don't really have a good eye for this sort of thing. There are a few areas that still need to be tweaked (like the side panel on the fridge opening perhaps-what is wrong with it?). I want it to look pleasing to the eye but still function well.

The island is a little odd looking if you ask me...she was trying to put panels on the edges ,but couldn't get it to look right. It is 2.5 ft by 45 ft. I have 2 15-inch trash/laundry) pullouts going toward the stove area (my idea--works well for how we cook, clean-up, etc), but now I am thinking we might only need one since there are 2 cans in 1 drawer. How big are these trashcans? I was thinking it would be good to have 2 for trash, but we don't really need 2 for laundry.

She also has a 21 in depth by 30 in. wide cabinet with pull out trays (for casserole dishes,etc). This is facing the fridge. On the other side facing the DW, there is a 9 inch depth by 30 inch wide cabinet.) The fake door end panels look strange, also.

Let's see, what else..

I am only getting a single sink. What size is good for a 36 inch sink base? I want deep and wide, but not something that will break our budget too horribly?

There are lights going on either of the window.

How about the beadboard in the back of the hutch? Would you order it from the company so it matches exactly or would it be nice if it is a slightly different finish to add some texture to a white kitchen? Also, this will have a butcher block countertop on this section. Should I raise or lower it intentionally so I don't run into the issue erikanh did?

The range hood is causing issues. I don't really know what style fits in with the crisp, clean, farm style I want.

I think the pantry door is going to open the opposite way and it'll be a glass paned door with fabric behind it.

And now my biggest question---will I hate the finish on Kraftmaid's Dove White Cabinets? They look a little plasticky to me...maybe they are just glossy. I'm concerned that the sheen of these will ruin that farmhouse style, but we can't really afford high end cabinetry.

Thanks for all your help.

Comments (16)

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

Could you post the floorplan? That would be helpful:-)

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

Can you post a layout with dimensions, for example the distance between the island and the perimeter counters, and the size of the cabinets? Did Lowes provide you with a 2-D room layout?

Do you need space for a microwave?

• Related Discussions

Help with tricky small bathroom layout? (Long)

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm with your husband; the freestanding vanity design saves you from having to move plumbing and radiator to center it, and also will keep the gap from looking wierd. Indeed, the gap will look like a "I meant to do that" feature rather than a "I had to do that" feature. Having that vanity centered/uncentered is one of those things that will show up more on paper than in your real life room. That means that you'll probably notice it (because you're aware of it), but no one else ever will.
    ...See More

Small Kitchen Layout/Tricky Pantry

Q

Comments (8)
    I am NOT removing the window. There will be exactly the same amount of light and airflow with the fridge facing out..that is why the KD removed the trim plus an extra 11 inches where the basement light switch was. What I have been annoyed about for 2 1/2 years is walking around the fridge everytime I need something when it was facing the left wall. Since turning the fridge outward our workflow has seriously improved..we are serious cooks with a four year old helping with nearly every meal..so extra steps no matter how trivial count. I see what you are saying about using the cart top albeit the flip down countertop..good point. My rarley used items are in this location..besides my son believes this will be an awesome secret fort with his own tunnel..We are so used to living in a small space that putting something back (i.e. the cart next to the fridge 5' away) is nothing new. If I had an unlimited budget and not a pending porch rebuild, exterior paint job, foundation repair and sinking garage in an economy and a neighborhood where overimproving is no practical I would add on..in the meantime I need to be creative.
    ...See More

Refresh it or gut it? Tricky kitchen layout.

Q

Comments (39)
    My old galley kitchen had a 3' aisle and I had no problem with it, so I don't think I would find a 3.5' aisle too tight, especially given that the peninsula side wouldn't have upper cabs. However, I don't think I'm a fan of the peninsula because it leaves us only one aisle into the actual kitchen. With the island set up we have now, there are two, so if I am cooking and my husband comes in from outside and needs to get to the sink, he can access it without walking past me, or if we both come in with groceries, etc., one can go to the far side of the island and the other cut in on the side closest to the door.
    ...See More

Tricky Floor Plan Layout Advice

Q

Comments (1)
    I am not a fan of sectionals so I will just put that out there. I have found that two sofas facing one another take up less square footages and provide as much or more seating in situations where a sectional might be desired. I would place two sofas facing one another and move your TV to either wall that has a door.
    ...See More
  • rhome410
    15 years ago

I think you're just looking for cosmetic help?

1) How wide is the hutch? I'm concerned about the upper doors looking wide.

2) I think the end of the island looks good, but on the side, can she make the false panels look like the drawer and door set up next to it? I think it looks odd to have that part look like it has full ht doors, while the section for the pullout that opens toward the fridge doesn't. Maybe just have full-size doors and no drawer? I assume it looks the same on the side facing the sink? How wide are the panels vs the doors over the pullout? They should try to be equal or work somehow, design-wise. An island is kind of a piece of furniture and should be able to stand on it's own in its design. I know what I mean, but I hope I'm making sense.

3) I don't know if you can get a 2-can pullout that fits in 15 inches. The cabinet person at Lowes should know what kind of hardware will go in there and how many trash cans it has.

4) I think the fridge panel is the victim of bad drawing? It looks angled and the 2 sections look like they're overlapping.

5) If you're planning a farm sink, I'd find the sink first, then get the cabinet to fit, and this will also affect the cabinets to either side.

6) Beadboard..yes to match, I think.

7) I wouldn't mess with the height of the hutch base cabs. If the butcherblock is shorter or taller, which is likely, so be it. I think it adds to the look of being a separate piece. That's what erikanh ended up deciding, I think.

8) Good that the pantry will open the other way, and nice with glass and fabric.

One function question...What happened with the prep sink you were considering? I'm afraid you now have a 'barrier island' without one...and fewer work areas for more members of your big and growing family.

• twinkletoesmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't have the 2-D layout. The power went off at lowes while we we printing everything out, and I think it was just forgotten. Hopefully I can get it faxed or something. Some measurements I do know though--

37 inches between the perimeter and the island except on the side with the range which is 42 inches.

I don't need a space for a microwave.

The base cabinets on either side of the range are 21 inches (one door, one 4 drawer).

The wall cabinets on either side of hood are 18.

The bookshelf is 18. The other double doored cabinet in the middle is 30--I think.

1) The hutch is 48 inches wide. I thought the 2 upper doors were too wide. What do you think? Perhaps 2 double doored 24 inch cabinets?

2) Island--the side facing the sink doesn't have a drawer either. The trash pull-outs facing the range do. The cabinet facing the fridge and the sink are both 30 inches wide, so the doors are 15 each. The end panels are 15 each also. the 2 panels that are to the right side of 30" drawer/cabinet are only 12 each (I'm guessing) since the depth of those trash pullouts are 24.

3) I looked online and I think they hold 2 smaller trashcans.

4) Yeah, maybe the drawing is bad on the fridge panel. Do you think it should be one smaller piece (where the cabinet is) and then a large rectangle or 3 smaller squares?

5) Good point about the farm sink...I haven't even really looked into this too much. What is a decent measurement for this?

6) good. that is much easier!

7)good. another thing not to worry about!

8) :)

ah, no we aren't doing a prep sink. Dh really really really doesn't want one (I think because of the stuff coming through his precious hardwood floors) Maybe we'll regret it later on....rhome, you have my full permission to say "told you so!" ;)

In this layout, where would you put drinking glasses? I moved both wall cabinets on either side of the sink, so now I am not sure. I have plenty pretty white dishes to fill up the hutch, so I don't think I want my mismatched ones there. Do you think the cabinet next to the bookshelf is too far away and too much in the prep zone?

Any other function issues you see would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Ditto...layout please!

If/when posting a layout, please be sure to put all door/window/wall measurement & distances b/w each. Also, show us how the kitchen relates to the rest of the house and whether it contains a main entrance/exit for the house.

Pantry door: If there's nothing b/w the refrigerator & pantry door (other than some filler), then the pantry door is probably opening correctly. With a glass panel, you don't want it to slam into the refrigerator handles and break the glass. Yes, it might be better opening the other way from the cooking point of view, but you also have to consider door damage possibilities!

You could install a chain or something to limit the swing...then you could switch the hinges...just be sure to do it immediately, don't put it off.

Refrigerator: If you're asking why the panels on the side don't look "right", it's b/c it's a different door style! All the other doors have the little lines in the frame, that one panel on the top of the refrigerator side does not!

Sink: If you're going w/a single bowl sink I would seriously consider a smaller sink base...that would give you a few more inches for the trash pullout...15" is a little small, yes they're out there, but the bins are small. In an 18" one that has 2 bins, the bins are a little smaller than the "standard" tall kitchen bag size (13 gallons, I think). Do you recycle? If so, you may need at least 3 bins...1-trash, 1-recyclables, and 1-laundry...or at least one w/2 bins + room behind for dirty laundry.

Island: The island actually looks OK to me...it doesn't look "off" or "wrong". The feet do appear to be "free standing" on the left side...is that a correct representation?

Is the island a "barrier island" (i.e, b/w the sink & refrigerator)? I cannot tell if the refrigerator is far enough over to keep the island from being a barrier (another reason a 2-D layout is needed!)

That's it for now! HTH!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I started my response around 10pm....then walked away. I should have refreshed! Sorry if I rehashed the same points!

• kitchen1921
    15 years ago

On the island, on the long side you can see in the picture, I'd either go with all cabinets doors or both cabinet/drawer combos. I'm sick and my mind is fuzzy so maybe I'm not explaining this well, but the way it looks right now with one drawer-topped cabinet and one regular cabinet looks odd to me.

Also, how wide are the glass doors on that hutch thing? I would worry about sheets of glass that large breaking with heavy use, but maybe it's just the perspective of the drawing making them seem bigger than they are?

Otherwise, I think it looks fabulous. It's going to be very beautiful.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

Maybe put mock "framed" beadboard on the island end and the ref in place of the panels. I believe you can order matching beadboard in wide/tall panels and molding to get the effect. I don't like the multi-panel look at all.

I think maybe drop the hutch top a few inches so the corbel just kissed the countertop, and maybe increase the cabinet heights on the other two walls so the cabs plus moldings met the ceiling and the molding could be continuous around the pantry?

I think maybe the hood should be a hood (forgive the example cause its not cheap it's from modern aire).
    {{!gwi}}
    Also, what's been said about the pantry door swing so it doesn't bang into the ref? Applies to the cabinet to the left of the hood.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

In my opinion 24" doors are big. You could just mimic the base and put an open shelf or plate rack in the middle of the hutch with glass doors on either side (or open shelves on the side and double glass doors in the middle). Layout looks a little light on drawers. Check the specs on your pull outs a 15" wide pull out won't go into a 15" wide cabinet. Rev-a-shelf does their coding by the cabinet size required but I don't think every manufacture does that. If you don't go bottom mount your options for double pull outs are limited.

• twinkletoesmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The hutch doors are each 24 inches. I think that is too big also. What would look better--2 24 inch double doors (which would make each door 12 inches) or like 2 15 on either side and an 18 in the middle? I have 50.5" to work with...the current hutch is 48 inches wide. Should I change the bottom if I change the top? I don't know if they should be perfectly lined up or not.

• twinkletoesmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had suggested beadboard on the island, but KD said since we are having the trash pull outs on the end, then the side panel would be mixed. Maybe I could still get it to work though.

I am confused about all the trash pull out options. I was going with a 15 inch cabinet that pulls out and the cans sit on top of a pull out shelf (as opposed to fitting into a hole).

Oh, I just saw the idea for an open shelf on the hutch. Good idea.

We have low ceilings (7.5 ft) and in order to make it go to the ceiling, we need 36 in high cabinets or 6 inches of trim which I think would be too ornate with my simple style. Do you think it looks silly to be a few inches down? thanks so much for everyones help. I can't begin to let you all know how much I appreciate it all.

• twinkletoesmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

KD is faxing the 2-D plan so I should be able to post it tonight. In the meantime, the island isn't really a barrier....I am not sure how much space is required, but you can walk from the center of the fridge to the center of the sink. You can't however walk in a straight line from the outer side of the fridge to the left side of the sink without taking one step over. Is that not good? I have room to bump it down into the center of the room a little.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

That sounds OK if you're not planning to use the island as a prep space for the range.

• twinkletoesmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I switched to 4 drawer bases on either side of the range.

Facing the range, I have 2 tall cabinets--a 21 inch trash pullout and a 9 inch cabinet for cookie sheets.

On the side facing the fridge, I have 2 fake 12" doors, a six inch row of spice drawers (mainly as filler) and a 24 inch wide (reduced depth to 21) double doored cabinet for casserole dishes, etc.

On the side facing the dishwasher, I have 2 fake 12 in doors, another 6 inch row of spice drawers (again--filler) and a 24 inch wide double doored cabinet (reduced to 9 inch depth).

Question: should I put bead board on the end of the island opposite the trash pull out or should I have 2 15 inch fake doors? I am having beadboard on the hutch and the back of the open shelves. I don't want too much as to take away from those, but didn't know if it would tie it all in or distract.

Also, what can I do to this hutch if the 2 24 inch glass doors are too big? I have 48 inches to work with (actually 50, but the bottom is already 48). I was thinking of having 2 15 in on either side and then an 18 in the middle (maybe sticking out a little?). I can't decide! help! :)

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

For a shorter ceiling, you can use "stock" molding on edge at the top of the cabinet before adding the crown to increase the height. If you are using light rail, consider cheating the cabinets up an inch as well. It's a slightly odd place to end for me. Not quite high enough for a shadow line install and just low enough to accumulate all kinds of dust without being able to clean it.

Make sure the cabinet sizes for the hutch are usable for what you want to keep in them before deciding. Normally, on 24", there is a choice to get paired doors. There is also the opposite type of configuration with a pair of 18" ones flanking a 12" center open shelf unit.

• twinkletoesmomma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

what is a light rail? I don't think I want to raise the cabinets up any more. I'd actually prefer them lower because I am short--under 5', but I want my Kitchen Aid mixer to fit under. :)

There is a choice to get the 24 in paired doors, but would 12" doors look too skinny?

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor