SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugarski_gw

Help with tricky small bathroom layout? (Long)

sugarski
12 years ago

Hi, I am in the planning stages of a gut remodel of our small full bathroom (approx. 6x8). House is from the late 30s and the present bathroom is a hideous, shoddy remodel from the early 80s, by the looks of it.

Right now, as you walk in, tub & surround are against the left hand wall, taking up that entire wall. Toilet is next to the tub on the wall opposite the door, and there is a window above the toilet (35" high by 20.25" wide). Then there is a 30" vanity on that same wall, but there is currently a 6.5" gap between the vanity and the right-hand wall. There is a small, low radiator along the right-hand wall, the placement of which would interfere with a vanity being placed right up to the wall. If not for the radiator, a 36" vanity would just fit.

In hindsight, I wish I had looked into custom sizes for the new vanity, but I didn't think of it- bought a beautiful new one that is also 30" but furniture-style, with legs. (We definitely need both a vanity and medicine cabinet for storage.)

I am on a budget and would really like to avoid moving plumbing or ripping out the radiator. The toilet, now, is not centered below the window; hopefully my GC will be able to move it a couple of inches closer to the tub. But because of the window, I feel like the vanity needs to be centered into the space next to the toilet- which still leaves some sort of weird gap between the side of the vanity and the right-hand wall. My husband says it won't look as weird with the new vanity we got, since it is freestanding, but I'm dubious.

I also have to make sure I have enough room for a medicine cabinet above the vanity and a sconce on either side, rather than a fixture above the med cab- since the ceiling slopes down on that wall to only 6'10" high (it's 8" otherwise). Basically, I'm just really worried that I'm going to sink all this cash into a remodel that will still look bad because of the placement of the vanity.

My husband put together a drawing with all the dimensions, but I'm not sure how to post it.

If anyone has any ideas about how to proceed, I would really appreciate it! Thanks.

Comments (7)