SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Help with small primary bathroom layout

artemis78
last year

Now that we finally have our new bathroom up and running, I want to think about a facelift for our original bathroom. This is not a gut renovation and we have a modest budget for the project so want to be careful of scope creep. Mainly looking at a new tile floor, moving and/or replacing the toilet, and possibly replacing the tub and retiling its alcove (if we move it--otherwise could wait). We will also replace the existing pedestal sink with a console sink, but that's a pretty inexpensive/simple swap. The electrical, mechanical, and window were recently redone to current code so we don't want to touch those. This was originally the primary/only bath in the house, but we just added a master bathroom, so now this will be used primarily by two tween boys and by guests when needed. Overall, we are pretty happy with the layout/function of this bathroom with one huge exception: the toilet doesn't have enough knee clearance. (It has a whopping 11" right now.) I would like to fix or at least mitigate this.

Current scope/constraints:

- Room is 70" wide x 102" long; there is a 3.5" x 15" bumpout for the house's main soil stack at one end.

- We do not want to move the sink because this area was recently redone and we are happy with the location/lighting/etc. Clearance in front of it (~20") isn't ideal but works fine for us.

- Tub cannot flip perpendicular because it is cost-prohibitive to move the soil stack, so we'd have to go down to a 54" tub or build out some kind of a ledge to fit it there, which we don't want to do.

- Existing tub is 29" x 60" but if we replace it we'd have to do 30" x 60" since there don't seem to be any options left in 29" width, so would lose an inch there. It's an inexpensive enameled steel tub that's not in great shape so should be replaced at some point.

Existing layout:

Option 1: Replace toilet with wall-hung toilet. This gets us to about 19" of clearance, so still not great (or to our local code, which requires 24") but better than it is now. This is likely the simplest/cheapest option.

Option 2: Move toilet to the area where cabinet is and put a cabinet where the toilet is. This puts the toilet directly inside the bathroom door, which I don't love, and given the room layout, we would lose some storage. But it would give us the needed clearance.

Option 3: Put tub where cabinet is and toilet where tub is. Also gives us the needed clearance and maybe is preferable so that toilet isn't up against the door. Has the added benefit of getting the tub away from the window so that we can use a standard shower rod. Most costly option since both tub and toilet move. In theory could also keep toilet where it is now but I think moving it is preferable so you don't open the door to see it.

Are there other configurations to consider that I'm missing? We have considered taking space from the closet in the adjacent bedroom, but both that bedroom and its closet are already tiny--10' x 12' and 1.5' x 6.5', respectively--so we'd prefer to work within the existing footprint. Thank you!

Comments (6)