SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane_greco

Has anyone seen the whirlpool sunset bronze appliances

J G
6 years ago

I am looking at appliances for a kitchen renovation, and I am considering my options. I have always had white appliances and I am not sure how well stainless goes along with the traditional feel that I want the kitchen to have and it seems like people have been replacing white appliances with stainless steel appliances for 10+ years now.

I have been intrigued by the whirlpool sunset bronze...in the pictures they seem to look less industrial than stainless while not being as dark as black. I have found a few retailers offering the dishwasher and the microwave for order, but not much evidence that they are actually in showrooms.

Has anybody seen these? Do you think they would go with cherry cabinets that had either a "traditional" red-toned stain or a lighter more naturally stained cherry?

Comments (49)

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I would be careful about buying appliances in a color that will likely not be supported in the future. What would you do should you need to replace a sunset bronze refrigerator and there were only stainless and white available?

I think stainless is here to stay. This is a trend that goes back to the early 80s when people began purchasing Wolf and Garland commercial ranges for in-home use. Now stainless is mass market. Nothing is threatening stainless' reign- not even buyer fatigue and craving of new.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Stainless goes all the way back to the 50’s It’s been around forever and isn’t going anywhere.

The new version of Coppertone just a recycling of the Jennair Oil Rubbed Bronze appliances that were available for about 15 minutes right when Whirlpool bought out Maytag/Amanda/Kitchen/Jennair. It’s taken them 10 years to figure out how to position their brands in the market and do a comeback with it.

When they were available the first time, they had the typical color matching issue that Maytag was always known for. The fridge factory just couldn’t turn out the same color as he DW factory as the same color as he MW factory.

I think they might have sold 2-4 suites in them before they were no longer available. Which is typical. No one is really gonna support colors for very long other than white, black, or stainless.

If you want color, buy white and have it wrapped.

• Related Discussions

Does anyone have anything from the Whirlpool White Ice line?

Q

Comments (20)
    I have white appliances (whirlpool) and am replacing my stove and fridge. I have decided to get a white stove (since I have a white over stove microwave) and I'm considering going with an all stainless (no black) fridge. We do have some stainless/black small appliances (toaster oven, coffee maker, etc) so I think the stainless might look nice with that, but I don't want to have to replace the dishwasher and microwave right now. Thanks to the pictures in this thread I can visualize that it wouldn't be so bad to mix them up!
    ...See More

jenn-air oil bronze appliances

Q

Comments (14)
    As for where Jenn-Air as a brand stands under the Whirlpool umbrella .. the future is very bright. The KitchenAid brand will benefit from the aquisition. ORB? Not so much. Color it gone. A project inherited from Maytag and no one in Benton Harbor has stepped up yet and pulled the plug. Definately see it in person before you purchase (the words "paint brush" come to mind). Better yet, buy stainless steel appliances and find a local skilled faux-finish artist to paint your appliances.
    ...See More

does anyone buy 'regular' appliances anymore?

Q

Comments (54)
    We are getting a GE AG Cafe range ($2500) and I would have been perfectly happy with a GE or Frigidaire slide-in ($1600), but DH is "splurging" on the Cafe. We want a panel-ready DW, so that's going to be about ~$1000, but it will probably be a KitchenAid or something. We are looking at a few different standard depth SxS frigs in the $1500-$1800 range, all very ordinary. We are leaving shelf space for a GE convection MW ($500), but may make do with our $120 Sharp for awhile longer. Our Faber Cristal hood ($550) is Italian (ooh-la-la) so I'm not sure if that's regular or not, but fairly inexpensive. Altogether that's about 6K - less if we can make some smart buys - and I can't say I feel like I'm doing without. All you have to do is look at the Sears flyer every week to see what most people can afford. DH and I briefly toyed with the idea of a Lacanche range because they're so darn beautiful. The more we talked about what else we could do with that $$$ (mostly outfit the kids gameroom that is part of this addition), the less attractive the Lacanche looked to us. We also would have felt a little silly, because we're really just "regular" cooks. Our friends who are "good" cooks all manage on ranges less expensive than the Cafe. If we really step up the cooking when we retire 20 years from now, we may revisit that beautiful Lacanche though.
    ...See More

Appliance color choice for new home Stainless or Oiled Bronze?

Q

Comments (21)
    In person, the ORB is a pretty yucky look. It looks like someone (badly) painted a tinted clearcoat over stainless. It smacked of "shadetree DIY painting" to me, as in, "Hey, lets see if we can paint a refrigerator that there oil rubbed bronze!" And I wouldn't take a JennAir appliance if you were to give it to me. They've had major issues with poor design and repairs, and since Whirpool acquired the brand 3 years ago, it's been the redheaded stepchild of the Maytag/Whirlpool consolidation. They just ddidn't know what to do with it. Now, they're trying to position Jennair as being above KitchenAid in quality and more "exclusive"---but they're gonna let Sears of all places carry it. Schizoid marketing. And, the thing is, the Jennair branded merchandise comes off the same assembly line as the Maytag or Amana, or even Magic Chef, and underneath that pricy logo, it really isn't any different than one of the Magic Chef's. But, the logo has a premium, and that premium is so not worth it.
    ...See More
  • Mo Hen
    6 years ago

I say ...do it! The Sunset Bronze is beautiful looking I can't wait to see it in person. Stainless Steel is so over. White is nice but dull. Bisque is out and black is boring. I intend to repalace all my kitchen appliances as soon as I can see the material color exactly. How often do you change the kitchen? Make a !!!. (I am a Designer and intend to suggest the Sunset Bronze wherever and whenever I can). Go for it and be ahead of the game! Life's short!

• User
    6 years ago

If you suggest it, be prepared for the major flack that will come your way when the 3 year old DW died and there is no matching anything to be found.

• DIANE VAN KLEY
    6 years ago

I realize I'm late to the party here, but I just started looking for appliances that are not in the silver (stainless), slate, or black colors. I had even said to a friend, who is an interior designer, that they need to start making appliances in a color that will go with beiges, tans, and browns, like a champagne or bronze! She totally agreed with me. I have NEVER liked the available colors! Why should I have to give in to what everyone else falls for? I have always been told that I am ahead of coming trends, and I see Sunset Bronze as a fabulous new brown tone neutral for those who have never liked the "gray/black" choices. I don't find stainless neutral for those who prefer browns by any means. I haven't seen Sunset Bronze in person yet, but I'm more than willing to hold out until I do see it and buy it if it's anything like I hope it will be. I can't understand why everyone is so certain this won't be a supported color. I do wish other appliance brands (perhaps somewhat higher end) would have been the initiator of a new color, but I'm willing to support Whirlpool if they are willing to give customers like me what they are asking for. Now I suppose I should prepare for all kinds of backlash from those of you who insist that stainless is neutral...

• Tereza Melakuova
    6 years ago

I am going to see it in person tomorrow and am so excited about this fridge (or as excited as I can get about a fridge). I think gold/bronze tone hardware is coming into style and i'm not a fan of how it looks with stainless. That leaves one with very few non-dated looking options.

• linda reall
    6 years ago

Tereza, I am very interested in the new color. I have not been able to find any of the appliances in that color near me. What was your opinion when you saw it in person?

• partim
    6 years ago

I like the color much better than stainless. Warmer. But I wouldn't get it for all the reasons outlined above.

That said, the 1970's harvest gold electric clothes dryer that came with this house still works perfectly. In the 30 years I've owned it, I have not had a repair. Maybe I'll soon be able to buy a matching washer!

• DIANE VAN KLEY
    6 years ago

Partim, you state, "I wouldn't get it for all the reasons outlined above." I think that's exactly the reason for failure of a new color. Everyone is so afraid they may not be able to replace an appliance in the new color in a few years, so they simply don't support it from the start. Without enough buyers, of course the manufacturer will discontinue production. I find it extremely sad there aren't enough customers bold enough to support a new color even when they "like the color much better than stainless".

• partim
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You're completely right. Like others, I'm not "bold" with my money. Same reason I still have a 1970's dryer.

If manufacturers made products that lasted, I'd be less cautious. My current black kitchen appliances (various manufacturers) were bought in 1996 and are all still working fine. Newer appliances don't seem to last and I see no reason to support manufacturers' planned obsolescence/breakdowns.

Automobiles are lasting a lot longer than they used to. Appliances are breaking down faster, and I can't believe that it's not deliberate.

• User
    6 years ago

Sounds 70s!!!

Theyre back!

• chloebud
    6 years ago

partim, you've had a gem in that 70's dryer. Nothing out there today will even come close. So freakin frustrating.

• DIANE VAN KLEY
    5 years ago

I just looked at the Best Buy website to see what appliances they are carrying in the sunset bronze color, and I'm happy to see several of them are marked "Sold Out"! Maybe this is finally a color that will survive for those of us who want another option than the stainless, slate, and black shades we've been stuck with for years!

• Molly D. Zone4B
    5 years ago

Purchased a Kenmore front loader and dryer in a bronze. Three years later the washer died and of course that color was no longer produced. The dryer worked fine so I got a new washer which was close, but a little more gray. I could stand it in a laundry room, but not my kitchen...

• User
    5 years ago

Here and GONE, just like so many other attempts at off colors.

• rjknsf
    5 years ago

If you want to deviate from white, black, stainless then I would suggest purchasing from a high end maker who offers actual copper appliances (blue star, Thermador, La Cornue). They are more likely to continue to offer such options down the road.

• mjzman77
    5 years ago

Looked at the sunset bronze refrigerator and range at the local Best Buy today. Have to say that I was underwhelmed. They looked nothing like the pictures on the Whirlpool website, at least to me. Very understated color that at first I could not be sure was not regular stainless. They looked about like a regular stainless in a room lit by the old GE Reveal incandescent bulbs with the pinkish tone. We dropped them from consideration-- not to mention that the Whirlpool has the same ice maker as our current KitchenAid which we hate.

• mpelescak
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have one and it is gorgeous. There are other appliances in the same color, let me know if you need more info.

• HU-7611199205129
    5 years ago

Hi I have cream cabinets, zodiac brown/beige countertop. Need new appliances as my frig went and it is bisque. Saw the bronze and thought it was beautiful with browns/beiges. Not crazy about Stainless(grey) with those colors

Have not seen it in person. Any suggestions where it can be seen. Also, it is much more expensive then regular stainless. Is the look worth the difference in money. Do you agree with others that it will be hard to replace in the future.

Any experience with Whirlpool Products. Any info helpful

Thank you so much

Terry

• geoffrey_b
    5 years ago

Goes great with Avocado formica countertops.

• Berta
    5 years ago

ALL I will say is that I have done the Stainless when to buy stainless was to go with Sub-Zero fridge, and gas stoves ( I did Viking) or nothing at all, move it up 27 years and it's been tried and tired. I have done the Slate back when I refused to go back to Stainless again, the Slate was a brand NEW look and I loved it, and the appliances where of fantastic quality (KitchenAid,) still are one of my old favorites, but I will NEVER go back to Slate either.

I am again in need of renovating and am seriously liking the Sunset Bronze, looks fresh, light with a touch of warmth. Though I must add I completely disagree with the cabinetry colors that are being suggested, very drab and the beauty of the Bronze is compromised (Terry's mix looks promising)....my only hesitation is how reliable is Whirlpool, I have never bought their product, though the last Maytag washer/drier I owned (about 2010) where a COMPLETE disaster. Anyway, I plan to go and see the Sunset Bronze appliances to make a final decision, I'll report back.... but still I would LOVE to get some feedback on Whirlpool.

• chloebud
    5 years ago

"....my only hesitation is how reliable is Whirlpool, I have never bought their product..."

I can tell you our previous washing machine was Whirlpool. It lasted 4 years...charming.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

there are so many ways to be 'different' in a kitchen.. tens of thousands of choices of tile, counters, flooring, lighting, it hardly seems worth going after a different appliance.

i'm bold but i'm thrifty.

• stlousue2
    5 years ago

I have waited three years for the Sunset Bronze appliances to come to fruition. I have only seen the fridge and microwave in person but am thrilled with what i Have seen thus far. I DO NOT like stainless steel and am so glad I finally have another option to choose from. The appliances are scheduled to be delivered Wednesday and I anticipate they will look absolutely beautiful!!!!! As I said, I've been waiting over three years and believe these appliances will be beautiful!!!!!

• User
    5 years ago

“Believe” all you want. When they deliver 3 different colors and no one can get them to match and you give up trying, you won’t be nearly as thrilled. And when the DW dies in 3 years, and no one makes them, you’ll be less than thrilled again.

The peak on ORB as a finish was when they tried the first time to introduce the color. And failed. ORB is a down trend, and for applianc s to boot? They’re 10 years behind the times. Again.

Be sure to update after delivery. See if your “beliefs” hold.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Berta, KitchenAid has been a Whirlpool brand since approx 1986. KA dishwashers remained the original KA design for a few years, transitioning to WP design in the mid 1990s.

• Berta
    5 years ago

Thank you, I have been appraised of that and I hope that the quality I experienced from my KitchenAid (1995 and they were still going strong in 2013 (except dishwasher (broke in 2010 & garbage compactor broke in 2003... still not bad) is the same I will experience from Whirlpool... again I have to point out that the Maytag brand did suffer from the change in ownership.

I did go and see the Bronze in person and the hue does "change" depending on the lighting, so it does not surprise me that you might perceive a difference of shade depending the actual light that is surrounding the particular appliance; that could be a problem, could not be a problem.

• stlousue2
    5 years ago

The appliances were delivered yesterday and are GORGEOUS!!!!!! So worth the three year wait!!!!!! Here are some pictures but remember my kitchen is still in the middle of the remodeling process and the lighting is bad!!!! (and you can see the reflection of my red shirt<G>)

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

Nice, but they look like stainless steel.

• User
    5 years ago

They aren’t the 10 years ago first go around bronze, which was really and actually bronze. And which were a paint finish.

Those are like the “black stainless”, which have a translucent shrink wrap film over regular stainless. Which will scratch and peel, just like the black stainless. And doesn’t look appreciably different from standard stainless. Until the scratch happens. And you see the regular stainless underneath.

• mpelescak
    5 years ago
    Indeed, I have seen her negativism on a different thread as well.
  • lparrelli55
    5 years ago

I just purchased the Sunset Bronze Suite I am loving it with my new Off White Cabinets. It is warm and is finger print resistant. I find stainless so cold and I am sick of Black and white has never been an option for me.. My home is Country in style and I wanted a warm feeling to my Kitchen only had them about a week and I cannot imagine this color going away quick..If it does no concerns here there is enough stainless on it that you could go with Stainless to match..I think it will be around a lot longer than the GE Slate which was my first choice..If you love it get it Whirlpool stands behind their products. Btw I live in the Boston Area and it is selling well around here...Enjoy!!

• lparrelli55
    5 years ago

Also Best Buy in Dedham has them in there Showroom!

• HU-739842421
    5 years ago

Best Buy’s is displaying Sunset Bronze in our MELBOURNE Fl area. Yes the appliances have a slightly different tone but mine will not be side by side. I like they color. Ordering today

• HU-427169876
    5 years ago

I just got my Sunset Bronze appliances today. Very pleased but I expected more of a bronze.

• HU-18536483
    5 years ago

I am also considering the sunset bronze. What I find interesting is the handles are stainless steel. i only need to replace my fridge, oven and microwave so my stainless steel dishwasher that will still match.

• HU-206089116
    5 years ago

We are also considering replacing our appliances with the Sunset Bronze. So many negative reviews! We currently have all Whirlpool appliances that were bought when we purchased our new home in 2006, with no problems as mentioned in the negative reviews. They did cost a little more as compared to other brands at the time, but glad we bought them. All still running fine, no problems, just want to update with a new color. Our parents were loyal to Kenmore, until their last purchase, really went down hill, literally fell apart! EVERYONE has stainless steel in their homes, which is why this particular color appeals to us. Keep checking with local appliance stores to see if they have it on the showroom floor but that could be a long time coming, people are funny, they don't like change. Please post more photos if you have this color appliance. Thank you.

• AC LB
    5 years ago
    I would stay away from whirlpool appliances. Five years ago we purchased a whirlpool refrigerator, microwave, washer and dryer. They all had something go wrong within a year! We have since replace all of them. Good luck with your decision!
  • HU-410933834
    5 years ago

We have been very happy with the sunset bronze. They were on display at Best Buy and I waited a year to see them in person. Just be aware the microwave and stove are WiFi equipped and it takes a bit to relearn using them. But. like them. The color is subtle And changes a bit with the lighting. We also bought the dishwasher,

• Carol Drabin
    5 years ago

Waited over 2 years for sunset bronze, and what a disappointment!!! Had to buy ‘sight unseen‘, refrigerator has no small compartment on door for dairy or whatever, even though the stubs are there for a shelf with cover. Freezer settings still freeze everything in REFRIGERATOR, and instruction manual tell you not to put anything next to wall of freezer!!! Whirlpool has no explanation! Range has no settings on dials except low-high with no numbers in between. And both range and microwave have a timer that does NOT beep to let you know time has expired!!

worst appliances I have ever had, and customer service sucks! Will NEVER buy whirlpool again.

• HU-410933834
    5 years ago

We bought the French door refrigerator and have had no problems with it.

• waverly6
    5 years ago

These sunset bronze look like a very slightly different stainless steel. In 2002 I really wanted copper appliances ( nobody made them) and my kitchen designer predicted that in a few years they would be available and popular. Sigh, never happened. Instead, everyone is putting gold accents into kitchen and dining rooms (and of course, I don't like it. )

How gorgeous would copper appliances be in a ski house with warm toned wood cabinetry, copper handles, warm colors and lots of rustic wood furniture.

• marlysanna8
    4 years ago

I bought 4 appliances and there is no bronze color whatsoever. They look like stainless steel to me. Very disappointed! Waited 3 years for this color and didn't get it.

• M
    4 years ago

In 2002 I really wanted copper appliances

Just how much do you want these? Is it worth a lot of money to you? Copper isn't exactly cheap. But the good news is that it is easy to work with. And most appliances are pretty straight-forward to disassemble. If you are sufficiently determined, you can take apart the front panel of your appliance and have a local metal fabricator replicate it out of copper.

In some cases, you can also buy panel-ready appliances that would make this whole exercise a little easier. And in rare instances, you might be able to convince the appliance manufacturer to sell you a copper panel. I believe Bluestar has (or had) a "precious metal" series. I am not sure if it was available for all of their models. But I have seen that they can make copper oven doors. They look gorgeous.

And of course, copper sinks are thing. Just head over to Dino Rachiele's website.

So yes, if this is your highest priority wish-list item, then it absolutely is something that can be customized. As with most non-standard design choices though, it'll cost you.

If you do go this route, you owe us pictures! :-)

• mcapozella
    3 years ago

All the comments regarding sunset bronze appliances are from 2017 and 2018. Does anyone have any new info regarding this color?I like the tone much better than stainless steel. It seems to be warm but I am concerned that it may have a pink cast. Has anyone purchased this color appliance more recently?

• landsharkera
    3 years ago

The sunset bronze color was discontinued in early 2020. I have been looking and it's taken time to find a few websites where it's in stock or supposedly available on backorder. I am concerned that the refrigerator on "backorder" on these websites may not be available if I order the other appliances in stock, so will be calling Whirlpool to check.

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

LOL at the only 2 years ago thread and all the people who drank the fashion color koolaid and bought the now nonexistent bronze. Instead of listening to Sophie. Who was very very right. As always. I hope this shows up in their feed.

• Joyce Perkins
    3 years ago

I was actually able to purchase them. I absolutely love the color. No, it does not have a pink hue. It does have stainless handles on the dishwasher, refrigerator and stove.

It seems it has been discontinued; I have no idea why as it is a color I would want in any new home I might purchase.

Looks like I will have to take all my appliances with me if I ever move!