SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heavens123

Ball recipe yield issue - Tamarind Chutney - Please Check

heavens123
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I decided to make Tamarind Chutney today from the lastest Ball book ("All New, 2016), located on page 152. They've made an error in the yield, and they acknowledged such on the phone, but after I made the recipe, it was off even further than I expected. I also asked them about a substitution, to which their reply was essentially that it hadn't been tested and they couldn't guaranteed the result. When I asked if that was based on flavor/texture or safety, I was told it could be both. That could be the required answer, so would like your thoughts. So two questions: 1) are my measurements correct, and 2) does my substitution pose a problem?

Recipe, as written, first:

3/4 lb whole tamarinds
2 cups water
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp Himalayan black salt (kala namak)

The stated yield is 4x 1 pint jars. After the water and tamarinds are boiled, simmered, and then pushed through as sieve, you measure out 2 cups of product, then add the other ingredients and continue. Looking at the recipe, there's no way that will amount to 4 pints, and Ball agrees and says that it seems as if it should be four 1/2 pint jars, but even that is too much, as tamarind seeds really absorb water and you only end up with one cup of product.

What we have where I live is frozen tamarind pulp, in 14 oz. bags. The listed ingredients are tamarind pulp and ascorbic acid. Because of the low yield of only 1 cup of tamarind pulp from the fresh tamarinds, I needed to make up the extra cup (recipe calls for 2 cups of water/pulp mix), plus I wanted to double the recipe to get more than four 1/2 pints, so I needed an additional 3 cups of pulp.

So I took two 14oz bags of frozen tamarind pulp (which do not contain water as an ingredient), added 4 cups of water from the recipe, boiled it, put it through a strainer (it didn't need it as it was very fine, but I tried to replicate Ball's process as much as possible). I didn't use all of it, but used three cups of it, plus the one cup of the fresh pulp mixture. I doubled all other ingredients.

It's BWB cooked sauce for 10 minutes.

Is my tamarind substitution hideous because you can't compare 3/4 lb fresh to 14oz frozen? Or is it safe because tamarind is acidic? Did I need to add the water, even though I wasn't boiling down fresh tamarind? Could I have just used the tamarind pulp straight since it's highly processed and probably already boiled down and really liquidy? Does this constitute and unsafe substitution?

And does anyone have a tamarind chutney/sauce recipe using frozen tamarind pulp? The yield and working with the pods was a pain, and it would be much better to use the frozen. My freezer is also full, so I'd like something I can can.

Sorry this is so long. I wanted to describe exactly what I did.

Comments (4)