SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seaglassgirl_gw

Is this recipe safe?

seaglassgirl
12 years ago

Hi - This is a recipe with a lot of ingredients in it but it sounds so good that I hope you can help me out with the safety factor of it.

Spicy Quince and Apply Chutney

2 pounds quince, peeled, cored and chopped

4 pounds tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped

3/4 cup water

3 tbsp. vegetable oil (safflower)

4 tbsp. mustard seeds (she says she might use less next time)

2 tbsp cracked black pepper

l tbsp fenugreek seeds

l tbsp ground cumin

2 tsp. tumeric

1/2 bulb garlic, minced

3" piece ginger, grated

2 small cayenne chili peppers, seeds removed, minced

l or 2 red peppers, seeds removed finely sliced

2 cups cider vinegar

l tbsp. salt

2 1/3 cups light brown sugar

Peel, core and chop quince into chunks roughly l inch squares Put them in a pan and add the water. Bring to a simmer and cook covered until the quince is

soft. Strain and set aside the quince chunks. You may want to keep the juice for making jelly. While the quince is cooking begin to prep your other ingredients: chop the apples (toss in a bit of lemon juice) and set aside. Measure out other spices, grate the ginger,mince the garlic, slice the peppers. Also measure out your vinegar, salt and sugar. Put the vegetable oil into a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cook until they start to pop. Then stir in the rest of spices: black pepper, fenugreek seeds, cumin and tumeric. Stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and chiles and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the apples and stir well to combine with the spices. Then add the vinegar, salt, sugar and quince cubes to the pot. Stir the chutney over low heat until the sugar dissolves, then bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered until the mixture thickens (about 2 hours). Stir occasionally and add a little water if the mixture looks like it's getting too thick. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving l/4" head space. Process l0 minutes in a water-bath canner. Yields about 8 half-pint jars. This recipe comes from "hitchhiking to heaven.com" If anyone can help me I would be very grateful.

Comments (18)

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

Yes, because it has all the vinegar added to it. That, and the quince and apples are high acid fruits.
    Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.
    You can add ginger to the jams.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I'd recommend leaving out the oil or at least reducing it as much as possible. It isn't really needed anyway.

Dave

• Related Discussions

is this recipe safe?

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes because it is straight vinegar. But note that it is only for 1/2 pint jars. It is a dry relish with only the 1 cup of vinegar so it can only be done in small half-pints. Personally I would increase the vinegar to 1 1/2 - 2 cups and chop the vegetables very fine. Dave.
    ...See More

Is this recipe safe for BWB pickles?

Q

Comments (3)
    First, I want to say that Onion POWDER is going to make a cloudy brine. Stick with fresh or minced/dried product. This is from experience. Re safety, I have picked up on a few points reading posts here. They look at the vinegar to water ration in the brine, bare minimum is 1:1. Because the brine pulls water from the cukes and other fresh ingredients, it reduces the vinegar concentration even more. The higher the vinegar to water ratio the safer it is. Dry spices and herbs generally have no impact on pH. I make no definitive comment on safety. If I'm totally off base in my comments, I hope one of our resident experts will weigh in! Steve
    ...See More

Is this recipe safe? Chicken Pot Pie Filling

Q

Comments (8)
    Yes, as it is written and with care to use the full processing time called for which is the exact same time for canning chicken and/or canning mixed vegetables. Thickeners are only added AFTER the jar is opened. Use chicken broth? Not with the raw pack chicken called for in the recipe. That would change the density and the pH both plus add some fats since the chicken will be making its own broth in the water while it is being processed. When canning chicken, chicken broth it is only allowed when the chicken and broth are cooked first and then HOT packed. If you tried to do it with raw pack you'd have to increase the processing time to make up for the difference in starting temp. Dave
    ...See More

Are these recipes safe?

Q

Comments (1)
    Quarts are fine. USDA instructions allow for both pints or quarts as long as you use the full processing time. The curry/sugar recipe is the only one I would be concerned about but she covers the need to cook it first in the footnote. The risk will be if you try to triple/quad the instructions she gives for doing one quart at a time on any of these recipes. So you have to be very careful to keep ALL the measurements multiplied accurately. We all tend to get distracted and make mistakes when multiplying recipes. ;-) Dave https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/sweet_green_tomato.html
    ...See More
  • pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I agree with Dave - that does seem like a lot of oil. And it also seems like a whole lot of garlic and ginger for such a small amount of apples and quince. Your taste buds may vary.

In Indian cooking, we usually dry roast the seeds - just put them in a dry skillet. With ground spices, we usually bloom them - just put them in a tiny amount of oil and the goal is to cook them just enough to remove the raw taste.

You can add water to the pan to simmer the garlic, ginger and peppers in lie of all the oil. The goal is really to soften and get rid of the raw taste, not necessarily to "fry"

• readinglady
    12 years ago

You could get away with 1 tsp. or 1 1/2 tsp. (1/2 Tbsp.) of oil easily if you'd rather not dry-roast. I don't see it as a problem with that amount of ingredients and it would achieve the same result. In fact, it would probably be an improvement as the oil wouldn't change the mouth-feel or mask flavors.

The garlic has natural moisture and the ginger clearly does, so there'd be plenty of liquid there. If not, add just a bit of the vinegar. Also, I would toast the spices, add the ginger and chilies and only add the garlic the last 30 seconds. Garlic should get minimal cooking because otherwise it turns bitter. Just cook gently and briefly until fragrant.

Carol

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

What's a "bulb" of garlic? 1/2 clove seems too small but how do you even measure (how many cloves in?) half a head? I agree, leave out the oil, you can just add back a little of the quince juice if you need more liquid.

• seaglassgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I feel much better about the recipe now and will use your suggestions.

• seaglassgirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention that I found this recipe on a website called "hitchhikingtoheaven.com". There are numerous canning recipes as well as an e-book. The photos are beautiful and the ingredients are mouth-watering. Has anyone here had a look at the site and if so is there an opinion on the safety of the recipes?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Has anyone here had a look at the site and if so is there an opinion on the safety of the recipes?

Well it is just a personal blog and offers no credentials so recipes from those are always used at your own risk. Each one has to be examined individually. Some of the ones for jams I reviewed are fine. It is difficult to make a jam recipe unsafe as long as it isn't one of the low acid fruits. But I would have concerns about a few of the mixed ingredients recipes that are like this one above - include oil and high levels of low acid ingredients. Even though she does refer the reader to NCHFP for the guidelines she doesn't always follow them.

I really don't care for some of the books she recommends as we have discussed the problems with them here before.

JMO

Dave

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I took a look at the site. Lovely photography. Apparently, she's a novice preserver even if "prize-winning." She seems very up-front about her limited experience but growing interest in the art of canning.

I wouldn't pay for her e-book. Most of the recipes seem pretty mundane and not very many for the price.

I think it's like a lot of cooking/canning sites. It's fun to read and there are recipes to be gleaned, but I take it on a case-by-case basis and don't assume everything there is trustworthy.

Carol

• kaela
    12 years ago

I'd like to chime in on the safety of this recipe: I believe it to be perfectly safe. The recipe as written includes 6 pounds of high acid fruit (apples + quince), which, according to the Ball Book, is about 20 cups. Compare that to approximately 2 cups of low acid veg (garlic, ginger, peppers) and the recipe even without added vinegar would be safely acidic: I've made many chutneys, salsas and tomato sauces straight out of the Ball Book that had a much higher ratio of low acid:high acid ingredients. The addition of 2 cups of vinegar makes the recipe even more acidic and certainly is enough to counteract the 3 tbsp of vegetable oil.

If you remain unconvinced, consider Hitchhiking to Heaven's recipe for marinated red peppers, developed by Eugenia Bone and vetted by the MFP program at UC Davis: http://hitchhikingtoheaven.com/2010/10/pimientos-rojos-marinated-roasted-red-peppers.html That recipe contains a full cup of olive oil, 4 pounds of low-acid vegetables, yet only 3 cups (2 cups vinegar + 1 cup lemon juice) of acidic ingredients.

There is also Marisa's post at Food in Jars, on the safety of including small amounts of oil in canning: http://www.foodinjars.com/2011/11/canning-101-is-it-safe-to-can-products-that-contain-some-oil/

And finally, as Shae suggests in her marinated pepper post, you can always contact your state co-op extension office if you are unsure about the safety of any recipe: http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Full disclosure: I know Shae of Hitchhiking to Heaven and she is not only part of my online canning/preserving community, she is a friend. I encourage every preserver to confirm the safety of any canning recipe, whether published or online, for themselves, but it is important to make sure you have all the facts at hand before you deem a tested recipe "unsafe", especially in a public forum.

• shaeirving
    12 years ago

Hi Everybody:

I'm the author of Hitchhiking to Heaven. I couldn't add anything more to Kaela's thorough discussion of acidity, above, but I would like to say that I have always tried to be vigilant about posting only high-acid recipes on my blog. As Kaela mentioned, if I have a question about a recipe, I contact my state's co-operative extension office and talk to a master food preserver. (I am hoping to attend a master food preserver program, myself, next spring.)

I wrote the post that includes this chutney recipe just about a year ago, and I have since filled a thousand or more jars with fruit. Though I study the subject of jam making almost daily, I never do, as Carol points out, hold myself out as an expert. In fact, I try to face every recipe as though I am a beginner -- even if I've already made it many times. I find great joy in preserving, and my intention is to share my personal experience and some inspiration with others while staying safe!

Best,
    Shae

P.S. A "bulb" of garlic is the same as a head. I amended the recipe to clarify that. :-)

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Cross-pollination of canning forums and blogs is always great. Anything that fosters dialogue.

I think one of the issues is that it can be difficult on the face of it to know with certainty whether a recipe falls into the safe range or not. That's why it's always helpful to know a recipe's provenance and where it falls within the acid spectrum. It eliminates the necessity for research and laborious comparison to similar formulas.

The other issue, of course, is processing time and whether with thick mixtures it's sufficient for adequate heat penetration.

But mainly it's good to know because this chutney does sound delicious. I have a friend with a quince who will be glad to see it.

As far as Eugenia Bone is concerned, I have her book, but I can't understand why she uses Fruit Fresh in her tomatoes, as that's far more dilute than pure citric acid. I think she missed on that one.

Carol

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I appreciate both of you taking the time to respond to our concerns and welcome to our forum by the way. But please do note that no labeled the recipe "unsafe".

I think we all agreed as to the overall safety of the recipe but the issue raised isn't one of acidity as kaela indicated. It is the oil. And that is a different issue entirely.

As we all know oil is clearly restricted in canning recipes for several reasons. It may shelf life or cause rancid flavors but most importantly because of the insulating effects of oil on bacteria and the reduced heat penetration that results. That is what restricts its use and that restriction is well documented by NCHFP/USDA. So aside from a very few highly tested USDA recipes it's use poses a potential threat and especially so when one is dealing with low acid ingredients.

And of course we cannot safely extrapolate from one recipe to another with any degree of certainty. So the use of oil in those few tested and approved recipes doesn't mean it can be incorporated into other recipes too.

So when oil is not required in the recipe, as in this case, or when other options are available, the recommendation is to eliminate it or at least to reduce it as much as possible.

With the understanding that we all have different levels of risk acceptance, I hope this clarifies the issue a bit.

Dave

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

In the same line of thinking as Dave - no where in this chutney referenced blog post does it address the use of oil - and why it is safe in this recipe. There is no reference to a trusted source for this recipe. Which is why I think it is perfectly legit for seaglassgirl to be questioning it's safety.

There is really no comparison to marinated peppers - 2 completely different types of recipes.

I will admit that I am on record as not being a fan of Marissa at Food In Jars - and the link that Kaela referenced as to the safety is a perfectly legitimate reason as to why I am not a fan. She just makes a general comment about the recipe being "a pickle from a tested, trusted recipe that has plenty of acid and it includes a small amount of oil." Which is aobut as far from a legitimate reference as there is. This is not the type of answer I would expect from somebody who considers themselves a canning expert.

• shaeirving
    12 years ago

Hi Folks:

I did notice that no one had actually called the recipe unsafe, and I appreciated that. And I fully support anyone questioning the safety of any recipe. I think that's smart, and I'm glad seaglassgirl asked about it.

Dave's concern about the âÂÂmixed-ingredientâ recipes on the blog spurred me to look at them more closely. If a recipe I had posted was putting people at risk, I would want to immediately take it down or modify it, so it felt important for me to seek confirmation of the safety of those recipes.

Having consulted Kaela (a chemist) and then, after Dave's last note, both another MFP and a professional food-science chemist, I feel confident that the two canning recipes on the blog that contain oil are fine as posted. (I asked them to consider each one separately.) IâÂÂm truly grateful for this opportunity to confirm and clarify. ItâÂÂs always good to be reminded that one needs to look sharp, where safety is concerned, and I agree with Dave that we can let this one rest with an understanding that folks have equally acceptable, differing feelings about risk tolerance.

I'm not likely to post more recipes containing oil because, as my canning preferences have developed, I've learned that the savories aren't my primary interest. I will, however, amend both of the existing recipes to indicate that, concerning the oil, I have vetted them with food-safety professionals, but that one should hold off if concerned in any way.

Best,
    Shae

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Thanks for clarifying the "bulb" Shae - but I was still wondering how many cloves that was since heads of garlic can differ in size (as do peppers, onions, etc.). Very hard to figure how many cups of low-acid ingredients with "1 or 2" peppers (could be anywhere from 6 oz to 2 lbs!) and "1/2 bulb" of garlic, though 2C of vinegar plus the high-acid fruits *sound* like enough.

I realize you had this reviewed, but it's best to measure the peppers and garlic, esp. since you are mincing them anyway, that way someone who has large produce won't be led astray. Maybe you can revise the recipes with measurements/weights?

• shaeirving
    12 years ago

Ajsmama, I agree with you! Even if the recipe were written in terms of "cloves" of garlic, it wouldn't be precise, because some cloves are tiny and others are ginormous. It would be most clear if the measurement were given in measures or weights, and then people could vary quantities if they saw fit. With this recipe, I'd revise it if I were to make it again -- either personally or for a cookbook. Since this particular post was a report of my own experience/experiment with the recipe I was given, and I made it just those two times (as described), I'll probably leave it be for now. The garlic is largely a matter of personal taste, and the peppers do at least say "small" and "large," so I think -- until I get another hankering for chutney -- I'm going to leave those ingredients to people's preferences and common sense. The feedback, however, is noted and appreciated!

• shaeirving
    12 years ago

P.S. I wanted to invite you to take a look at the updates I published for both posts.

The chutney:
    http://hitchhikingtoheaven.com/2010/11/spicy-quince-and-apple-chutney.html

The peppers:
    http://hitchhikingtoheaven.com/2010/10/pimientos-rojos-marinated-roasted-red-peppers.html

Thanks again for helping me make the blog better.