SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaincolumbus

Tweaking the Ball Blue Book Zesty Salsa Recipe

lisaincolumbus
10 years ago

I've got a pile of tomatoes on my counter and even more on my vines waiting to be turned into salsa. I've tested a couple of recipes, and my family likes the Ball Blue Book Zesty Salsa. However, they like it better with a couple of tweaks in place. I'm wondering if these changes are safe. I'm pretty sure that most of them are fine, but I want to run it by canners with more expertise than me! (I have an email in to the Ohio State Extension office, but it's been several days and my tomatoes are impatient.)

Here's the original recipe, my tweaks follow.

Ball Zesty Salsa Recipe (from freshpreserving.com)

10 cups chopped cored peeled tomatoes (about 25 medium)
5 cups chopped seeded green bell peppers (about 4 large)
5 cups chopped onions (about 6 to 8 medium)
2-1/2 cups chopped seeded chili peppers, such as hot banana, Hungarian wax, serrano or jalapeno (about 13 medium)
1-1/4 cups cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp hot pepper sauce, optional
6 (16 oz) pint or 12 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:

1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
2.) COMBINE tomatoes, green peppers, onions, chili peppers, vinegar, garlic, cilantro, salt and hot pepper sauce, if using, in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
3.) LADLE hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot salsa. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
4.) PROCESS both pint and half pint jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

My tweaks:

1. Use red onions (color not specified in recipe)
2. Use bottled lime juice instead of cider vinegar (this is interchangeable, right?)
3. Leave out hot peppers
4. Cilantro - does a little extra alter the acidity?
5. Double the amount of tomatoes (this is the one I'm not sure about. I think it's okay, since tomatoes are acidic, but you tell me....)

Thanks so much for your replies!

Comments (9)