SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mellyofthesouth

Zesty Watermelon Jelly - opinions please

mellyofthesouth
17 years ago

Ok, the recipe is from the new ball 'complete' book so it would be safe. I bought a giant watermelon yesterday. The scale at the commissary tops out at 30 lbs so this bad boy is over that. I ended up getting out the strainer attachment for the kitchenaid to make juice/puree for watermelon popsicles. (They better like those things, it was alot of work.) I'm not sure which would be worse, picking out all the seeds and putting it in a blender or cleaning up after the kitchenaid. Anyway, I have still have almost 2 quarts of juice. I saw this recipe in the book and thought it might be interesting.

Zesty Watermelon Jelly

6 cups chopped watermelon, rind removed

1/2 cup white balsamic, white wine or apple cider vinegar

4 tablespoons lemon juice

5 cups granulated sugar

1 stem lemongrass, chopped

2 pouches liquid pectin

1. In a large stainless steel saucepan, crush watermelon with a potato masher. Cover and gently heat over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and crush thoroughly.

2. Transfer to a dampened jelly bag or a strainer lined with several layers of dampened cheese cloth set over a deep bowl. Let drip undisturbed for 2 hours. (I think I could skip ahead to that step.) Measure 2 cups watermelon juice. If you do not have the required amount, crush more watermelon or add up to 1/4 cup unsweetened white grape juice.

3. Prepare canner, jars, lids.

4. Transfer watermelon juice to a clean large, deep stainless steel saucepan. Stir in vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, and lemongrass. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir in pectin. Boil hard, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam.

5. Quickly pour jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim, put on lids.

6. Process 10 minutes in BWB.

Makes about five 8 oz jars.

I am thinking tying the lemongrass in a cheesecloth bag for removal would be more appealing given it's woody nature. The jelly is supposed to be a pretty pink color.

I'm now out of liquid pectin and can't buy it here. But I have plenty of Pomona's. Do you think I could use that instead?

Do you think it sounds good or weird (as my 10 year old decreed the black forest preserves)?

Comments (9)