SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie2094

Info and Advice on Food Allergies? (and a shoulder:)

maggie2094
15 years ago

Grace was just diagnosed with severe allergy to peanuts, cashews, and egg white (level 4) and moderate allergy to soybeans, egg yolk, and cat dander (level 2).

I'm ascared. I am a pretty strong person and I know this isn't the worst thing to happen to anyone by far but it just scares me to the bone and I am truly stunned. We have no history of allergies of any kind in our family. It was a complete coincidence she was even tested. She was in for her 9-month check when she suddenly broke out in a single hive on her chin. Doctor thought since she had to draw blood anyway that she would run an allergy panel.

The doctor was also surprised although she said the increase in allergies like these has been huge in the last decade. She also said I "sensitized" her through my breastmilk. I am not to eat any of the above and there will be no peanut butter or nuts in the house  ever again - and we ate a lot of pb&j's. She said my son could kiss Grace and it could cause a reaction. We have Epipen, jr. in case of Anaphylactic Shock which is a reaction to the peanuts, cashews, and eggs. The others, like the cat dander are nothing to worry about. Her reaction would just be a runny nose or cough. The doctor is really stressing how dangerous the peanut and egg allergy is - the other allergies suck but are not life threatening. Apparently the scale is from 0 to 6 and she has never seen a 6 - a 4 they consider very high. An acquaintance through school has a daughter with the allergy that went into anaphylactic shock from eating watermelon. It was a case of cross contamination in the kitchen. The same with eggs  and to think of all the things you put egg in  from cakes and cookies, pancakes, waffles, and French toast, to meatballs and for breadingÂand I also canÂt believe how many products contain soy. The egg allergy she could outgrow but it is unlikely she will outgrow the peanut/cashew allergy according to the allergist.

I am sick with the thought that I could have caused this by eating peanut butter during pregnancy and while nursing. If I had known I would have avoided it altogether. I still don't really understand the whole issue of sensitizing. I want to learn as much as I can. Any preggies out there be AWARE.

I know so many people deal with this and we are lucky to find out early before I fed her any of these things. Right now I just want to cry (okay so I am having a little pity party for today  or this week anyway).

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I am on a very slow computer for the time being and it is so hard to research on the internet right now. Everything is taking forever to load. Anyway, I am here for the shoulder to lean on, anway:)

IÂll be posting on the other side soon for egg-less cooking and a recipe for GraceÂs 1st Birthday Cake. Everything is going to be fine. I know there are worst things and I do count my blessings...it just hasn't sunk in yet.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio