SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growgirl_gw

Venting my frustration

growgirl
6 years ago

Can't vent this to my husband because he thinks you can eat anything canned safely no matter what, lol.

Anyway... I am just frustrated. I have canned for many years (years ago) and decided why not try again? So, everything I made I goofed up in some shape or form. Told myself I give up, not worth the headache. I mistakingly mentioned to my husband after a few days that I may just try again next year with a new canner. Lo and behold I find out he purchased one for me for my birthday, and.....the dread came back. Now that I have one I think "yeah, just try again, why not?" This time with apple pie filling!!

I pay close attention, read the recipe 20 times, pre measure everything but the apples, knowing how much I will need though. 18 cups! Overcook some of the apples slightly, the majority are perfect! Stir everything together, put it in the jars, yada yada yada.

Wait a second.... why do I have so much filling left? Huh, I only got 5 out of the 7 jars called for. Water bath canned them, got them out to set, then got a good look and then it hit me. I miscalculated the cups of apples! Hey, how did I not get all the air bubbles out? More of the apples look mushed up. Looks like too much filling compared to the apples now..... maybe I can use a few cans for a dessert topping....

Then it hits me. You can't eat this down the road, there is possibly too much filling and mushy apples in those to get the right heat penetration while processing. I haven't the heart to tell my husband. Maybe if I hide them he will forget about them

Seriously though, I realize my brains memory holding capacity and attention span is not what it used to be Even when I thought I did it right, I didn't. Wasted alot of time and money because of it. Maybe I will just stick to making pickles.

Comments (7)