SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dominos123

When is mockery NOT the best form of flattery?

domino123
15 years ago

I have to share this, if for no other reason than to vent my frustrations.

I have a neighbor who mimics just about everything we do with our yard/property, and it's to the point where they don't hold back from telling us that they're doing so.

It's like clockwork. When we do something, they do the same. Down to every detail. I can go on and on with a list of things, but it would sound petty. Here's a good example. We have a shrub next to our garage, they got the SAME SHRUB, SAME UNDERPLANTINGS in the SAME POSITION. My favorite color in my yard, guess what neighbors changed to?

Ok, so I can tolerate most of these things as they seem rather trivial to get in a tizzy over. But this is where it gets beyond annoying.

We have very subtle, classy landscape lighting in the front of our house, and guess what, neighbors had to get a 150 watt spotlight to light up their house which basically drowns out our own lighting. It's obnoxious. "Look at me and not my neighbors house!!!" is basically what it says to me. This is not flattering to me AT ALL.

We JUST completed the installation of our flagstone walkway to our patio, and guess what, neighbors want to install a flagstone walkway in the front of their house because of 'a show they watched on HGTV' (yeah, right). Again, this is in a matter of days...

I was almost offended by this one because it was so blatant: I told neighbor that I was dying to go out and get myself a climbing red rose bush - a true red rose - and guess what? Within THREE DAYS, they had a TRUE RED CLIMBING ROSE BUSH. I think I stood there with my mouth open because I didn't even know what to say. I felt like I was back in the third grade again and joey next to me was copying from my paper.

I don't claim to have a patent on plants by any means, however, I take pride in making my yard/property my own, I like to have "different" things, and I don't want visitors to see the exact same thing in my neighbors yard since we have small (less than 1/4 acre) lots. I don't want a "cookie-cutter" home.

I don't share information with them anymore, but come on...what gives?

The sad thing is they have a BEAUTIFUL home that was professionally landscaped, and they are just destroying it for the sake of destroying it. They have no idea what they are doing and I just don't understand this constant need for "competition". Is this some kind of personality defect?

On the other hand, our home was an eyesore when we purchased it, a major fixer-upper, and we've worked hard, our own sweat and blood, to make it one of the finer homes on the block. They purchased a very well kept home that really didn't need any work whatsoever. Not my business what you do with your property, but please don't mimic my own down to every last detail.

I feel like asking them to just purchase our damn house.

So at what point do you laugh, and at what point does mockery become less than flattering for you?

Tell me your worst experience.

Comments (9)