SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hunt4carl

Are 'Garden Tours' Worth The Time and Cost?

hunt4carl
14 years ago

In a current post on this forum, there was some discussion about the relative

cost/value benefit of a particular tour of Beacon Hill gardens. Never having

been on this particular tour, I can't offer an opinion on it; but I did think it might

be interesting to hear people's thoughts on garden tours in general.

Over the years, I've been lucky enough to visit/tour virtually hundreds of gardens, and don't really consider a single one of them a waste of time (maybe

money, though!). . .like any other art form - and, yes, I think putting together

a diverse collection of plant material is artful - the more you actually SEE in

that art form, be it dance, music, theatre, sculpture, painting, gardens, you

name it, the better able you are, as an an individual, to appreciate and distinguish between the good, mediocre, bad and ugly. And as the old adage

says: "Imitation is the highest form of flattery." I cannot begin to confess to

the number of design ideas and color/form combinations that I have happily

"borrowed" from other gardens - if a couple of the NE gardeners whose gardens I have visited where to stop by here this summer, why they'd surely

recognize certain familiar elements in THIS garden ! In short, touring other

people's gardens is one of my great passions - not only do you get to see some totally terrific stuff, but I invariably meet some delightful people. It's

just a win-win situation. . .and it sure beats trolling the mall. . .

Soapbox Time: on the slimmest chance that someone out there (perhaps a

newbie) doesn't know about them, let me briefly introduce you to the easy

answer to successful garden touring in America - The Garden Conservancy,

and more specifically, their splendid Open Days Program. This is modeled on

the original English program, whereby the Conservancy publishes a directory

each Spring, listing all the gardens that will be open across the country that

year, with specific days and hours for each, brief descriptions, and complete

instructions for finding each garden. There is a flat fee of $5.00 charged as

you enter each garden; Garden Conservancy members are eligible to buy

books of tickets which works out to a mere $2.50 per garden visit - BUT, and

this is important to know, you DO NOT have to be a Conservancy member to

attend any of these Open Days. Nor do you have to be a member to buy the

annual directory - it's available to anyone for $21.95 - or, for no money at

all, you could log on to their website all the time and get the current listings.

A membership, of course, gets you a FREE directory, plus the added bonus of

being able to visit Garden Conservancy Preservation Projects - the stabilization and maintenance-in-perpetuity of significant/historic American

gardens, of which there are currently 14, two of them in New England!

For me, having that directory literally allows me to block out my traveling

schedule the six months of their Open Days Program; all my other activities get arranged around the garden tours - have you figured out yet that I'm fanatic about this? :o)

For the first time that I can recall, all SIX New England states will be represented on Open Days this year - which is even more impressive when you know that only twenty out of the fifty states are listed in the directory

this year. If there is a general consensus among readers that it would

be useful,, I'd be happy to post a list of upcoming Open Days (in the six NE states) every few weeks.

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Open Days Program

Comments (17)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks, Carl. Usually I look at the lists, but don't go because none are within 1 1/2 hours drive of home. This year there are several that are an hour and a bit, so I guess I'll have to try some of them out. I'd love reminders when New England Open Days are happening!

The only garden tours I've been on have been in my own town, sponsored by a local garden club that is now basically defunct other than a once-yearly plant swap. They weren't fundraisers, so it was just fun to see various friends' and neighbors' gardens, definitely worth the price of admission (free!) A long way of saying that I don't know whether fundraising garden tours would be worth it, but I think I'd enjoy them - spending a whole day looking at gardens - relatively cheap entertainment in the grand scheme of things. I'll look forward to the opinions of others.

• veilchen
    14 years ago

I have been one of the gardens on several tours and have helped organized our local tour. I will say that everyone who attends our tour seems genuinely impressed and they all look like they're having a great time.

• Related Discussions

Are 'Garden Tours' worth the time and cost?

Q

Comments (13)
    our local gardening society is mainly run by little old biddies (no offence to anyone who feels they may be one) who pooh-pooh non-native plants and who use the gardening tours as a means of socializing, gossiping and the like. I went one year, with the intent of trying to put my own garden on the tour in subsequent years, but the conversations from the venerated members soured me to the idea. This is a town where I was asked (ok, threatened under penalty of a fine) to trim bushes (which were vines atop a 6-7 foot trellis, fully laden with ripening fruit) due to their being visible from the street (but only if you step into my driveway) and the garden-club wrote about an elderly gentleman growing tomatoes in the cracks in his driveway, which he has been doing for the past couple years since he lost his license. The mother of a co-worker of my wife's is a member and she clues me in to their annual native plant sale. Twice I've bought plants only to find out in time that they were mis-identified. I haven't been back since. ~Chills
    ...See More

Hosta Garden Tours - cost in your area

Q

Comments (18)
    hi warhawk... the green and gold hosta society is based out of green bay...here is their schedule for this year... june 9th and 10th,,,1 member is having a personal garden walk and plant sale at her house june 16th,,,the green and gold society hosta sale is at one of the members houses... there are 3 chit chats held at different members places...so you can see 3 more yards...those are scheduled june 20,,,july 11,,,and august 1 august 7th is their roadtrip to oshkosh to visit 4 gardens, have lunch, and go shopping at 1 garden center... september 8th there is a sale at the green bay botanical gardens with lots of vendors....not just hostas... you can inquire about membership to: Karen VandenHeuvel W1842 Culbertson Road Seymour, WI 54165 dues are $8 per person or $12 for families per year ____________ there is also the "Wisconsin Hosta Society" based in Madison maybe you would like to check them out also... Dues are $8 per person or $12 for families per year also... Send inquiries to: Neil Cummings 5031 Crestview Drive Marshall, WI 53509 hope this helps....jill
    ...See More

Garden Events & Tours?

Q

Comments (1)
    I did the gardens of Goshen tour a few years ago. Most oof the gardens were professionally landscaped. One was a cottage style, very lovely, and one on a mansion, interesting.
    ...See More

AHS Open Garden Tours - Rock Gardens

Q

Comments (7)
    Hello to everyone, Paul, thankyou so much for your time and effort!!! It was great to meet you in person. You definetly have talent w/ photos also. It is not easy to capture "gardens" in bright light. Invitation: I will be around over the weekend 10:00-7:00, Sunday 10:00-2:30ish, should anyone want to venture out. A chance to view many new and rare varieties. Located 25 minutes from the Wisconsin-Minnesota border. The nursery is also impressive for size, selection, and age. There are no schedules here so come relax and enjoy. Rock Landscape & Gardens Inc. 1054 240th St. Baldwin, Wi. 54002 rocklandscaping@baldwin-telecom.net
    ...See More
  • carol6ma_7ari
    14 years ago

Depends on what you want: local gardens to get ideas from for your own garden, or large gardens to wander about it and enjoy. This year I've organized my own personal rose tour in northern Calif., 2 weeks of their big bloom time and a focus on roses. At the small end of tour types, though, I got 4 local gardeners (not in clubs) to visit each others' gardens all in 1 day, with chat and food, and we all learned some new plant and gardening information. Beacon Hill is definitely small very urban gardens and as nice as it might be, it won't help me with my rural RI space ideas.

Carol

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

I've never really been on a garden tour, believe it or not. I went to Monique's Open Day tour, but I had been to her garden before and just really wanted to see it again! But I work many weekends, sell at the farmer's market on Saturdays, and have my kids obligations (games, etc.).

Hopefully, though, with my kids now finally getting to independence (well, sort of, lol) I'm looking forward to having a bit more free time, although weekends will still be hard, so maybe I can make a few more of those tours.

Carol raises a good point about worth=what you want out of a garden. But then again, I think maybe you would go to different gardens for different things. I would love the Beacon Hill tour, because I love history, I love the feel of those brick colonial townhouse neighborhoods (Georgetown, old Alexandria, Beacon Hill, etc.) and so to me, I would go more for the overall "feel" and to enjoy the architecture and history as well as the gardens, and not just to get ideas for my own yard.

Carl, if you wouldn't mind posting those tour dates, that would be great. I mean, I suppose I could just check the website myself, but honestly, I wouldn't remember. If you posted it would be kind of a reminder.

Great thread. I hope more people respond.

:)
    Dee

• defrost49
    14 years ago

I enjoy garden tours. Sometimes I have my husband go with me and it becomes an interesting day out. The one in the Laconia NH area included a lovely lunch and was a great day. Last year we arranged our vacation time so we could go on a garden tour and another event DH chose. However, as much as we enjoy and are amazed at gardens that are professionally landscaped and maintained, I'd rather see gardens the average homeowner can achieve. One time DH commented that the plants and shrub costs at one home must have been very high but I pointed out that many of the same things were used all over the place and perhaps the homeowners had done their own divisions, etc.
    Sometimes we just like looking in other peoples' backyards without worrying about getting arrested. Some locations are fascinating. One garden tour on the edge of the White Mountains included gardens with the disadvantage of 20 days less growing season than I enjoy.
    A friend's garden will be on a tour this year. Although I haven't managed to visit her garden despite the invitation I will make a supreme effort to visit during the tour. She has sent me links to her posts on another thread so I know her style is completely different from mine but I am sure I will learn something and perhaps will see a plant I would like to grow in my own garden (she does a lot of exotics). She also does it all herself except for help from her husband.
    There are some tours I will not go on again simply because the emphasis was on professional landscaping and was much too formal for my tastes.

• ginny12
    14 years ago

I can't imagine being a gardener and garden-lover and *not* going on garden tours. They are one of the best ways of learning about new plants, about what plants do best in what conditions, about great design ideas to make your own garden better, about all kinds of tips and tricks for the gardening process. Not to mention the pleasure of meeting and talking to other avid gardeners.

It frankly has surprised me that here on this forum, with so many avid gardeners, that there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for garden tours. I have started a number of threads in the past asking for news in the spring and summer about local garden tours but they never get a lot of response.

Even large estates and foreign gardens are full of ideas for the ordinary back-yard gardener. I saw an enormous hosta in an ordinary clay pot at Hidcote, one of the most famous of British gardens. What a great focal point! A terrific idea anyone can do.

But certainly our local garden tours are interesting and a major part of learning about gardening.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

"...Sometimes we just like looking in other peoples' backyards without worrying about getting arrested..."

LOL!

:)
    Dee

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I would love to visit lots of gardens, but unfortunately, our circumstances don't allow us to. DH and I did manage to visit one garden on Open Conservancy Days quite a few years ago and that was the only time we've managed it. I rarely get to Arnold Arboretum, which I really have enjoyed twice in the past. I've never made it out to Tower Hill, either. I might have attended the Boston Flower Show about 6 years in a row, about 30 years ago and not since. So I really enjoy seeing photos not only of any garden visits, but of GW member gardens when someone posts them. You never know, maybe this will be the year, we will get to one. :-)

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Plant swaps, if thoughtfully scheduled, can be an opportunity to see peer gardens. I've seen a few beautiful gardens and plants in-situ at swaps.

For some people the swap is the only thing going on, it doesn't matter what the environment is.

However, when I had a swap at my house, I certainly felt like my garden was on display and got things cleared up. (and do you know "those people" (my still gardening friends now) poked around till they found the plant ghetto I had moved to the back?!)

The plant swap at Whitegarden was a great garden visit too.
    But I recognize myself in crowd that doesn't get out to tour much. Saturdays can be busy. If I can find a friend who'll go with me, I'm game.

Marie

• defrost49
    14 years ago

Ginny, sometimes I come home feeling guilty that I spent a day looking at gardens instead of working in my own. Last year I was surprised to get not a single response to my question about a particular tour. We went anyway. Glad we did but most of the gardens were professionally landscaped and maintained. But you are right, even in the fanciest you can get some good ideas or find a plant you'd like to try.

I did get some encouragement to go to the tour in the Rockport MA area which I hope to get to this year unless it conflicts with the one in Nashua to benefit the Nashua Symphony.

• asarum
    14 years ago

There is an underlying question in this thread that I would like to address. I think it might best be summed up as not every avid gardener is an avid garden tour attendee.

I have gone on a fair smattering of garden tours and expect I always will. I find them enjoyable, but don't for some reason love them. Perhaps it is because I am a plant collector, but not a garden designer (as my yard will testify). So every gardening season, I take as many road trips as I can to visit nurseries, and go on a garden tour every couple of years. When I do, I am more likely to come away with the name of a plant I want, than a idea about design.

This does not mean that I dont take stabs at garden design, and that someday I might devote more attention so as to actually have some well-designed sections in my yard. I am viewing my first 20 or so years of gardening as an experimental period.

Also, I seem to be a person who actually prefers to work in a garden more than just simply walking through.

PS I don't know why funny green links to Bing are appearing in my preview of this post.

• diggingthedirt
    14 years ago

The funny green links are garden web's attempt to stay afloat financially. If you ignore them they may go away.

This thread has turned into an interesting discussion. I was a little put off at first that the question had such an obvious answer ("Yes!") but now I see it's not that simple.

I've never gone on an open days tour, or any other tour for that matter - not even local tours to support various charities. When I travel, though, the first things I plan to see are the botanic gardens, and any other other public gardens, nurseries, public (mostly urban) parks. Then come the museums and other local attractions, monuments etc. Not that I don't like and appreciate art, but I get more of a sense of a place from its gardens (where, by the way, you're more likely to see locals) than from its museums.

This will definitely be the year I'll finally get to some Open Days (but I've said that many times before, about other years). And, I'm still hoping for a tour of the Cotswolds, but maybe that's another thread.

• Penelope
    14 years ago

I love garden tours, from the local garden club variety to seeing big botanical gardens. One of my favorites was the Harvard (I think) MA garden tour in 2007, which was absolutely fabulous. There's definitely s a voyeuristic urge in most of us that garden tours can satisfy! It's a wonderful opportunity to see great designs and plants. Some tours or arboretums are rather expensive, but some--Mount Auburn Cemetary, for example--are free.

One we went to last year, and which I intend to do again this year, is the open house at Bedrock Farms, Jill Nooney's big garden in New Hampshire, which showcases her garden art. Admission is free and you certainly don't have to buy anything--though you'll be tempted! There are several dates through the summer.

• ginny12
    14 years ago

You are more than right, Asarum. Not only is it true that not every every avid gardener goes on garden tours but, judging from GW, hardly any avid gardeners are avid garden visitors. And I just can't understand not going occasionally.

It's not a design thing in most gardens. I don't see that many gardens that feature amazing designs. In fact, most of them are plant-centered. And other people's gardens in your area, wherever anyone of us might live, are a better guide to what does well--and why--than the best nursery in the area.

I've gardened a long time but I always see something new to covet. An example: About ten years ago, I went on a tour near Hampton NH, not that far from me. One garden was clearly owned by a plant nut--we can all relate. He had stuffed plants into every crevice he could and while the overall design would not have won a prize, he was an enthusiastic and generous gardener.

He had a plant I'd never seen before and, as I said, I've been doing this a long time. He said it was spring vetchling, Lathyrus vernus. I loved it and managed to find a couple somewhere. Since then, I've bought a bunch and they are great! Very early bloom, no pests or diseases, easy and beautiful. I remember starting a thread about them once.

Maybe they are common now, I don't know. But I do know I never would have added this delightful *early* bloomer to my garden if I hadn't been on that tour.

And PS for DTD, go to the Cotswolds. I have been twice and it is something you'll never forget. Not to mention the natural scenery and perfect villages. I couldn't do anything like that when the kids were young or in college but I am making up for it now.

• diggingthedirt
    14 years ago

Can you recommend a tour company, or have you done self-guided tours (Ginny, or anyone)?

Both seem appealing, in different ways - getting extra access and a knowledgeable guide vs being free to wander and spend the amount of time you like at specific gardens.

I've been looking on line at various tour companies, but of course they all look equally fabulous. Any personal recommendations (or negative reviews) would be appreciated.

• carol6ma_7ari
    14 years ago

Oooh, the Cotswolds! Hidcote Manor! The Naked Gardeners! Lovely! Digginginthedirt, I hope you get there, and if you could drive leftside, it would be a cheaper and more personally-designed tour. I'm just beginning to put together my own private rose garden tour to Mottisfont Abbey etc., summer 2011. My preference is to wander and not be escorted and forced to stop at souvenir shops or for cream teas.

In mid April I'll be going on my own tour of rose gardens (open to the public) in Northern California. From Alcatraz to Grass Valley. The tradeoff is that I may feel too alone. But I can concentrate on the plants and the landscape design.

Carol

• ginny12
    14 years ago

It is possible to find small-group tours that are not what Carol just described. A dozen people or fewer, no touristy stops, and willing to modify the trip however you want. This is in case you don't want the hassle of driving on the "wrong" side and dealing with the other hassles of driving over there, including finding the gardens, which can be no simple trick.