SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Example of 'red' coral vine and a few winners and losers ...

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My red coral vine (more dark pink than red) is usually at the very top of the trees in back, but one branch grew within picture taking distance this year ...

The real flowers are white on the Silhouette bougainvillea ...

Wider view of Silhouette which has larger bracts than other bougainvilleas ...

Not everyone's cut of tea, but I'll always be grateful for the lime green talinum received at a plant swap ...

Country girl mums beginning their fall show ...

But phlox were a dismal failure this year ...

They should look like the 'First Lady' phlox shown below in a photo taken a couple of yeas ago.

I thought their weak growth was because of snails and pill bugs eating the stems, but after finding rhinoceros beetle grubs in the root ball of the failing Althea I now believe that the potting soil to which I added compost from the bottom of the mulch pile had grub eggs.

Rhinoceros beetle grubs feed on dead vegetable matter, but confined in a pot they chomp through on any roots they run into. Beneficial nematodes have been ordered through Grow Organic from whom I've ordered before, which I hope will remedy the situation ...

Early morning misty photo to show the enormous size of the Thyrallis shrub this year ...

And the larger flowered wax begonia, 'Big Red' did well too

"Pink sunburst" canna has flourished and has a bud after rescue from a shady location

As we all know gardening is a gamble. Every year is a fresh experience in which we win some and lose some.

I'm always interested in how things are doing for you.

Comments (22)