SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txcathy7b8a

Cool wet spring in north central Texas: winners

TXcathy7b8a
17 years ago

and losers.

I do not spray my roses. This cool wet spring has really been tough on my OGRs. It's not pretty. LOL

I would love to hear from other folks in north central Texas that have no-spray gardens. If you've got roses that are not fungus ridden at this point in time, tell me who they are, please.

My winners are:

1. Marie Pavie, who has 100% of her leaves. Way to go, Marie!!

2. Katy Road Pink (Carefree Beauty) with 90% of her leaves.

3. Perle d'Or with 100% of her leaves.

4. Clair Matin with 90% of her leaves.

5. Madame Alfred Carriere with 75% of her leaves.

6. Marechal Niel with 90% of his leaves.

7. Souvenir de la Malmaison... this one is tricky. I have 2 SdlM bushes planted within 6 ft of each other, they are the same age. They have exactly the same growing conditions as far as sun, water, drainage. One has 90% of her leaves, the other one is about 50% naked. They came from different vendors, tho. Interesting, huh?

8. Mrs. B R Cant.... this rose has 100% of her leaves and she barely gets 4 hours of full sun a day. I should move her to a more deserving location. She is a trooper!

The losers:

1. Gruss an Aachen, pink and original. Nothing is uglier than a naked blooming floribunda. ugh.

2. Rise n Shine

3. Celine Forrestier

4. Felicia

5. Lady Hillingdon

6. Climbing Pinkie

7. Martha Gonzales

Borderline (as in "if you drop any more leaves, you'll be in the loser category")

1. Mutabilis, who got a stern lecture this morning about shedding his clothes. He knows better than this!!!

2. Penelope

3. Belinda's Dream

4. Mrs. Dudley Cross

Those of you that are familiar with Texas A&M's Earthkind roses list will recognize Earthkind roses in all 3 of my categories. This just reinforces that micro-climates make all the difference in the world!

I've got some bare areas in my garden now just waiting for deserving roses. Tell me about your winnners here in north central Texas. Remember, I don't spray.

Randy, if you read this post, how is Mrs. Dudley Cross doing in your garden? I love this rose, but right now, she's losing leaves like nobody's business. I probably should have put her in the Loser category, but couldn't bring myself to type her name there. Sigh....

Cathy

Comments (30)