SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryancarnero

Help with Bedroom Makeover Please

Ryan Carnero
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Ok so I'm redecorating my bedroom and here is how it looks atm. I took the picture at night b/c this is when I really hate how the wall color looks--so dank and dark in the dim, incandescent light. During the day with the sun coming in it looks beautiful though. It's an earthy gray/taupe - Benjamin Moore's Thunder.

So far these are the things I have in mind:

1) Remove the window blinds and add curtains. I'm thinking white linen to lighten things up.

2) Remove black duvet and shams and replace with something else... maybe linen in natural color or light gray? Not sure.

3) Figure out what to do with the other side of the bed. Add a side table or stool and place plug-in wall sconces on both sides, or should I put a floor lamp or something? I'm really not sure! I hate that corner. It's a very negative space especially b/c the very high ceiling is at its highest point on that wall where the headboard is.

4) Add an area rug (not sure what kind) under the bed. An 8x10 will fit perfect and stop a few inches short of night stands and dresser.

5) Paint the walls a new color, but I have no idea what color or even whether I want to go darker or lighter. P.S. Walls are textured (knockdown). Floors are shiny and smooth, light beige travertine.

6) I want a new bed but can't decide on one to match the industrial nightstand--which i really regret buying! (west elm's logan industrial nightstand). I might just put it in another room and find a new one. I think a simple/modern/skandi canopy bed would look cool and would help fix the awkwardness of my very tall ceilings, or just a nice bed that makes a statement which is what the room is lacking, or to just get a simple bed frame with no headboard, with bedding draped to the floor.

Things you can't see in the pic:

-Very high ceilings that slope up toward the headboard.

-4 hanging glass jar pendant lights with edison bulbs and a ceiling fan.

-Those beige curtains on the right of the pic are "doors" for my closet which takes up the entire wall.. And above those curtains is a loft where I plan to put my computer. But it will require a rolling library ladder in front of the curtains to get up and down.

If anyone can help me decide what to do to give this bedroom a much-needed make-over I'm all ears! And thanks so much in advance.

Comments (37)

• Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Found this canopy bed and thought it would look really cool in my room. But also I feel like the wall color scheme would also be perfect for my room. White on the window wall and that awesome dark indigo on the headboard wall. It would help that far corner that I hate feel a lot more open.

Alternatively, I also really like this headboard from Wayfair:

Room pic with better lighting:

When I get home I will take pics to show the high ceiling and loft

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

I like it and wouldn't ditch the Thunder yet. I'd add curtains, either light linen or perhaps even a dark velvet, and above all warmer lights for at night. Also some art work.

Rug could be great, but what kind of bedrooms do you like? It seems you're leaning to clean, contemporary but a bit rustic/industrial? A lambskin rug?

You could go with all grays, white, cream, black and natural wood color, maybe with faux fur; or also add an additional color, such as orange, blue, or green.

Ryan Carnero thanked nosoccermom
  • Related Discussions

bedroom makeover help

Q

Comments (26)
    I went to get the bedding today (pics ) and I found two that I bought in the end I did the headboard white instead of creme i posted a pic but I am not done it yet still needs pins and touch up I got the fabric for only 1$ a yard and I cant decide which bedding to do the first one has black designs going down it which I am not sure that I like and The second is from target I cant decide if I like it or should I just do a solid gray like the one in the picture of the room that I like but I don't know where to get something similar , also what do you think about moving the bed to the corner so that it is not under the window Thank you !!!!! Here is a link that might be useful: updated pics
    ...See More

Hi Designers! Need help designing this bedroom makeover. Modern Forest

Q

Comments (95)
    I'm going back and forth on adding in some small streaks of the green and bits of silver. Here's what I'm thinking as of now: 1) Base coat - Color match to the beige/light gray in the pillow that comes with set (see picture of forest green comforter I added above.) 2) Add a FEW streaks ("strie"- the vertical lines), of the green and light gray (or whatever the "beige/light gray" pillow color is). I would add maybe 1 streak of each every 7 - 8 inches. I probably wouldn't even be using a teaspoon of each color for the entire wall. I doubt it would even show in the pictures, but when one is in the room, they would see a very subtle lines of the green and light gray. And if I even change the comforter, I could just paint over the green and light gray streaks. 3) Add the metallic paint (something light and "pearly") as the final coat on the headboard wall. 4) Paint the rest of the walls in the base coat (the beige/ light gray color matched from the pillow.) I really like the "drama" of the forest green comforter against the light walls. I also love that large gold metallic vase in @Molly 's picture. Thinking of doing something like that in a pewter. Now just have to find a massive vase that doesn't cost $300+ dollars.
    ...See More

Chattanooga mountain side Bedroom makeover (HELP!)

Q

Comments (19)
    The cutout for the bed leaves the placement of bedside tables in an awkward position. They ended up too far away from the head of the bed so you can't really reach items there very easily, and they just don't look right. It must be rather difficult too to reach back to put the fitted sheets on at the head of the bed. As an alternative, why don't you construct a knee wall along the length of that wall? You would still retain the extra floor space by having the bed pushed back and the entire look and function would be improved.
    ...See More

Need help for my bedroom makeover

Q

Comments (10)
    Oh that’s too bad…I was hoping the bed and sofa would fit on the same wall so you could watch tv from bed or sofa. If you don’t mind me asking…is this your bedroom in a family home or in a house you share with housemates? I’m a little confused as to why you want to keep the sofa but scrap the tv? The reason I ask is…if you are going to keep all of the furniture pieces, there’s not much else that can be done as far as furniture layout goes…except flip-flopping the furniture to the opposite wall or have the chest/desk trade places. So figure out the furniture layout you like best and we can help with rug size/placement. Do you want to watch tv from bed or sofa? You have a nice option for bedding, but there’s no blue. The color blocking will put a lot of graphic pattern on the bed. Will art be going on the wall? Do you need any other storage…hooks, towel bars, book shelves? Just things to consider to level up your room’s form and function. Keep pulling options together and try to visualize how they will work together in your room.
    ...See More
  • Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks a lot for the reply nosoccermom. Not sure what you mean by warmer lights. My pendant lights give off a very dim, very warm orangey glow. Maybe it's the bright bluish light coming from the right side of the picture that you're referring to? That was only to light up the corner for the picture, using a task lamp in the closet. Looking at the picture, I think once I add wall sconces or table lamps to both side of the bed it will make a world of difference and I won't feel like I'm in a dingy garage anymore (darn knockdown texture).

Not sure about a sheepskin rug, I'm not a fan of the irregular shape of them and I really want a large 8x10 surrounding the bed. I just can't decide if I should go with a light solid, like white or beige, or a simple pattern that has darks like navy or charcoal in the mix.

I'm also really considering investing in Rough Linen bedding. I like this color combo:

I think these colors on my bed will brighten up the room and make it feel more cozy and peaceful. What do you think? Cuz they also have charcoal and light gray. Gosh I'm so bad at choosing things!

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

Yes, go for lighter colors in the accessories, the room has so much potential. Do you like color or just neutral colors. What are your favorite colors? I do believe some different light bulbs could make a difference. Your's appear to be throwing a gray look. I think you should look for a rug with some energy in the print, it can be light but interesting and then stick with simple solids on the bed. Give us some hints on what you like or don't like and we can help. You have a good sense of decor in your mind, I can tell.

Ryan Carnero thanked Yayagal
  • Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Glad to hear you say that Yayagal, thanks! I love lots of neutral colors in the bedroom cuz they make me feel more cozy and tranquil (as does the fantastic texture of linen which is why I really want to invest in rough linen bedding and linen curtains), but also I'm not good at using color. Whenever I find something with color that I like, I feel like it won't look good in my room. I guess you could say I'm scared of color, hehe. I do love navy blue though. It's the only color that I think could work in my room, as I like to keep the decor more on the masculine side, or gender-neutral. Though when it comes to artwork I'm HUGE on trees/forests/nature which adds greens and browns to the room. I thought of replacing the beige curtains on the right that I use to cover my open closet with deep navy velvet ones or charcoal, but when the black bedding (which I thought would be dark gray) arrived, I couldn't add more darkness. With lighter bed linens though, maybe it could work. I definitely want to replace the beige curtains though b/c I don't like how much they blend in with both the floor and wall color. If I do replace them, should they be the same color as the curtains I choose for the window (probably white linen)?

• Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Anglophilia. Now about the headboard/bed I could really use all the help I can get. I'm so darn confused with what bed would look best in the space, and since it's such a significant piece of furniture I want to pick the right one. My concerns are: if I go gray upholstered, would that blend too much against the gray wall? If I go beige upholstered, would that blend in too much with the floor? And if I go wood, wouldn't that be too many different types of woods between the wood stump table, wood dresser, and wood nightstand? Ah! I'm so lost. Apologies for being so needy!

I've spent a few days looking at beds, but there's an added level of difficulty in finding one for me because my mattress is extremely thick (15"-16"), so the frame can't be too high and the headboard can't be too low or else the mattress + pillows completely smother the headboard and it becomes non-existent.

• dover P
    6 years ago

Possibly something like this? plenty of texture

Ryan Carnero thanked dover P
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Before you paint the room dark indigo as in the photo of the canopy bed, bear in mind that that room has an entire wall that's a window, which brings in a lot of light; plus it's photographed with a lot of light.

Ikea's Aina curtains are 100 percent linen in various colors (white, beige, gray, blue) and very nice. Be sure to extend the curtain rod far beyond the edges of the window so that when the curtains are open, they're not blocking any of the window or light; this is called "stacking width" or "stack back". Do you need the window shade for room darkening or privacy? If the latter, think about switching out the shade for something more light filtering (like this at Country Curtains, which is currently having a going out of business sale).

If you regret the industrial nightstand, do NOT compound the problem by buying a co-ordinating/matching bed.

If you know you want curtains, new bedding, rug, and some new furniture, I would do all of that first, before going ahead with painting. It may be that with those changes, which should lighten up the room, that the current paint color will work better for you. But keep track of your colors especially for the bedding and rug -- your walls are "earthy gray/taupe", you're considering white linen curtains and also natural or light gray linen duvet/shams; I would not add too much more gray, even light gray, to the room. Also think about a taller lamp, or taller pair of lamps, with a higher wattage bulb on that dresser/table to the left, which should help. And a mirror or two. If it's your style, you might want to think about a pair of mirrored nightstands on either side of the bed, like in nosoccermom's last picture.

Urban Outfitters has a good selection of affordable plug-in sconces.

Ryan Carnero thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dover P: Great suggestions! I really like that simple nightstand, the bed, and those pillows. Can I ask where I can find them?

beckysharp: Really good advice and useful links! I think I'm going to purchase those Ikea curtains and that roller shade right now actually. I agree that painting my room might not be needed and I should hold off. I have always loved wall sconces above night stands, they look so cool in pictures. But I just realized that b/c they're designed like task lamps, in that the light shines only in one direction, they won't work for me. I need lamps with fabric shades because they provide so much more light in all directions which is what I need. Although the sconces with naked bulbs are still a possibility. I know they make wall sconces with shades but I don't like how those look as much.

Anyways, I really appreciate all the help. Thank you very much everyone!

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

I meant getting light bulbs that cast a warmer light and also more light fixtures, such as sconces next to your bed.

I'd go relatively monochromatic with texture added with linen, wood, metal, maybe some velvet pillows. You can always add navy later. Do you have an Ikea nearby?

I highly recommend their linen curtains as suggested above but also the Sanela velvet ones. They also have neat cushions with down inserts for little money.

Both Ikea and H&m have linen duvet covers in a range of colors.

Ryan Carnero thanked nosoccermom
  • dover P
    6 years ago

The bed is from Joss and Main-Jayden Panel Bed

The nightstand is from Wayfair- Fishback 1 drawer nightstand

The pillows are from etsy and you can find them from various sellers Ill link where i found them of course.

Black pillow

White and Khaki pillow

Peter Dunham Taj pillow
    mirror and lamp are from Crate and Barrel rug from Joss and Main.

• Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago

nosoccermom: I looked up Ikea's sanela velvet curtains. I really like that green-gray color. I wonder if this would be a good way to finally add a bit of color to my room, perhaps for the closet curtains.

dover P: Thank you so much! Very helpful.

• Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago

More pictures of the room to show ceiling height and loft:

I realize I never finished painting that wall leading into the loft. I was low on paint and, several years later I still am. :P Haha.

Been planning for years to install a rolling library ladder for access to the loft, but it costs a pretty penny and I always convince myself to spend the money elsewhere. It'll happen eventually though!

• Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago

(ignore the bright color towel on the floor)

How's this? I also like it with white or blue curtains (the linen ones from Ikea).

The problem is, is a gray bed a bad idea? Too much gray with the armchair and walls? Any recommendations for bed/headboard color (gender neutral or masculine)?

6 years ago

If your goal is to lighten up the room, I would definitely stay away from a gray bed, especially one with a big gray headboard that essentially mimics the big black hole of the window as it is currently. I like your original idea of a very simple canopy bed (something like this or this; the second one I think you can add your own fabric to the headboard) that reads "lighter" rather than "heavier" in the space.

I would consider tossing a throw over the back of the armchair too, for some color and texture to break up the gray.

Now that I can see the dresser better, I would definitely recommend a pair of taller, thinner table lamps there.

The blue linen curtains on the window with the light gray-green velvet curtains on the closet I think would work well together -- a very serene color scheme for a bedroom.

• Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks beckysharp. On the dresser lamps, the current lamp is brand new and i love it. Its light gray solid marble and looks great against the dark wood. I bought it for the nightstand but since i dont have a second one for the other side of the bed i moved it to the dresser. If i move it back to the nighstand what would you suggest i do for the other side if buying a second marble lamp is not possible? It sold out. I dont think i would like two different table lamps on each nightstand.
    Heres a better picture of the dresser and nightstand:
    6 years ago

Um, your bedroom is dark because you're reading Kafka at night : )

Thanks for the better look at that part of the room. Love the checked fabric on the chair -- is that a navy blue stripe on there?

It's a great lamp. Could you use it somewhere else in your house, like the living room maybe? That said, I've seen two different but similar lamps used very effectively, and one way to give some height is to place the lamp on a stack of books; this works for two shorter lamps, or for a pair where one lamp is shorter than the other. Just getting them to the same height works really well visually when you are mixing two different lamps. You could also consider placing the marble lamp on the left side of the dresser, and then having a floor lamp behind the chair.

Is there a reason you have only one nightstand? Is there enough room for two, one on each side of the bed?

• Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Haha yeah maybe Kafka was the problem this whole time :p

No thats not navy on the chair. The chair is gray wool with black and white stripes and a black border along the entire perimeter.

Moving the lamp out of my room isnt an option, but i like your idea of a floor lamp behind the chair. I'll definitely consider that.

The reason for only one nightstand is my original plan. My headboard was to go in front of the window with Nightstand on the left and on the right i was going to have a small desk with my computer. That was the plan and why i only ordered one nightstand, but then, as i tend to do, changed my mind completely. I decided i dont want my bed against the window and ii dont want my computer in my room either. It takes up too much space and causes too much clutter. I want my bed to be for relaxation only. I used to have my computer up in my loft but since i never got around to adding the rolling library ladder i got sick of the regular ladder in front of my closet in the way and being an eyesore so i moved my computer down for convenience. Now its time for history to repeat itself and put the computer back up there and take advantage of having the cool loft area.
  • dover P
    6 years ago

Just my opinion here. Instead of going for new furniture right now. It would be best to go ahead and get yourself that cool Library ladder maybe? :) and some new bedding for now.

• Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Dover p, yeah youre right about that. I use my
    Computer a LOT and dont own a laptop so getting my computer setup in the loft is a priority so i think im going to order the ladder finally. But i have enough savings to also do everything else i want to do. :) im having a very hard time choosing a bed though. Ive looked at hundreds of beds and still havent found "the one". I dont want to choose curtain color, bedding, nightstand and lighting until i choose a bed first.
  • dover P
    6 years ago

What is your budget for a bed have you checked out MGBWHome

I like their stuff have used a few pieces in the past. Seems it would be up your alley.

• dover P
    6 years ago

The Shepard, Butler tall or Morrison seems nice

• dover P
    6 years ago

If that doesn't work check out here, I know more choices I sorry. F&S

• dover P
    6 years ago

I was also thinking, there this product called stikwood it's really neat product many different wood types.

You can do that on your bed wall up to the ceiling. Then get a nice jute like rug in white like I showed earlier. On top of that a nice natural colored upholster bed.

Add a nice metal or this white mirror above your bed. Some clean style night stands with matte white table lamps. Invest in that linen bedding you posted and add some of the style pillow I linked earlier. Toss a throw on your chair from targé and use those white IKEA curtains hung a bit higher than the window itself. What do you think?

• dover P
    6 years ago

Just a few of the options of wood they offer.

• Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago

dover p: I do love the MGBW Shepard bed, but that is definitely out of my price range. I AM known to pay more for quality but I can't do 3k for a bed. Though I do think I want a bed like the Shepard, I'm really digging simple wing back headboards a lot. It's like the bed is trying to give you a hug. Gives off a very cozy feeling. I saw one I like on wayfair for much less (though ofc the quality is probably not the best). It's funny cuz I never thought I'd find myself wanting an upholstered bed. I was always really into all-wood beds where you can see the grain of the wood, in simple or modern designs.

I do love the idea of a wood wall behind my bed, but I don't think it's practical in my case, especially going all the way to the ceiling as you suggest. The wall is way too high. It's about 15 feet high and 10 feet wide (much wider if you count where it extends into the loft). That's just too much square footage. It's also very textured (knockdown) so trying to stick flat panels on it would probably not work.

I do like your other suggestions though. Natural colored upholstered bed (gotta have those wings!), simple nightstands with white matte lamps, white curtains. I am considering this nice medium-dark blue color for my linen bedding to give the room some much needed color. Sure it's a little bit on the dark side but with white curtains and a light-color bed it shouldn't be a problem. Plus I really love the color.

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

Re. Sanela IKEA velvet curtains. I also really like the dark gray (I have them) and the navy.

• dover P
    6 years ago

That's okay about the bed! I think it's great to look at higher priced items anyway to get inspiration then find something less pricey in that same style :)

I only suggested the stikwood as a way to draw in some interest and texture and visual on that tall wall but it's totally not the only option in doing so. You could possibly do a large print on the wall.

That bedding color is really nice and a great accent color!

one thing to remember you don't have to rush to but a room together. And have it look like you just went to a catalog and bought everything. Surround yourself with what you really love. And you will be much more pleased with the outcome.

• Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Definitely agree with that last word of advice. I am def. trying to take it slow. And definitely plan to put a large framed print over the bed. I'm thinking a soothing black and white photograph, similar to the ones Restoration Hardware puts over all their beds in their photos.

I think I might have a winner for a bed.

The color is called talc, and the color seems light enough to work. Plus the blue linen bedding will also look great on this I think. Looks simple and cozy, just what I want. Plus it's at a great price! $720 with all 5 star reviews.

• dover P
    6 years ago

Love the bed ryan, I think is a good ringer for the MGBW.

• Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago

nosoccermom, I would love charcoal curtains if my walls were white, but since they're on the darker side I think dark gray curtains on a medium-gray wall would be far too gloomy, or dare I say--kafkaesque? :P

• dover P
    6 years ago

Also maybe you could do a removal wood look wallpaper There are a few companies that special in that. they look life-like I not sure of pricing but that could be cool.

• Ryan Carnero
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Keenlee: Thanks! I REALLY like the first one! Second one is too creepy/gloomy and third is too colorful/bright for my taste (I'm very picky when it comes to art). But I can definitely see myself hanging that first one over my bed. It evokes a great feeling of openness and calm. :)

dover P: Remember, I have textured walls. Wallpaper is not an option either. But I do share your love of wood textures on the wall haha. :) Those images you put of the stikwood looked amazing.

• dover P
    6 years ago

It is actually possible, I guess it depends on your type of texture. Can You wallpaper textured walls?

I would research more into it.

• dover P
    6 years ago

• PRO
    You're Unique, LLC
    6 years ago

I might be late to the party but I would cover the window with barn doors. :)