SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ray_frisbee

Chattanooga mountain side Bedroom makeover (HELP!)

Ray Frisbee
4 years ago

Hey guys! So we have been in this house for about 7 years now. It was my first home, and I've poured love into a lot of the spaces but our poor bedroom has been overlooked for far too long. While we have some time at home I am slowly tacking some elements and my mind is evolving constantly on the look, and along the way I'm afraid maybe I have too many elements going on (in my head). So I thought it would be a good idea to get my thoughts down on paper and see what you more knowledgable people would suggest.

I run a handyman business so I'm capable of taking on the majority of tasks myself. I hope I don't look back and disagree with that statement later haha.

A little background. This house has been passed down through people who attempted DIY stuff, and well shouldn't have. This bedroom had bamboo flooring as door trim, door trim as base moulding, shoddy drywall work, and generally poor detailing.

1. I removed the faux beams of the collar ties as they were ending into a door frame and also causing a dilemma I had with recessing the bed to gain more space (trying to get every little bit of room I can as the space is small).

2. I cut on a section in the false wall to start the process of recessing the bed a bit. I'm not sure about what to do to the finish that project out. Just box in side walls in recessed space, add cubbies, lighting, or maybe just cabinetry/shelving to the side areas of the preexisting wall?

3. Finish the ceiling out? I hate the tile and was thinking of maybe shiplap?

4. paint scheme? I had thought of a white fresh clean scheme (maybe a light light gray wall color) with some sort of hunter green accent?

5. I would like to incorporate some sort of quarter sawn oak somewhere but not sure if it's getting too much.

Sorry I know that's a lot of info. So... I'm wanting a space that is clean, with a slight feel of country/antiqueness (is that a word?).

Start

Beautiful, but pesky beams. (obviously kept collar ties, and whole structure for fan

I know some people may be against this but they had to go to do anything with the space.

(will square up cuts and add 1" back

view of back window to get a feel for room size

Having to reroute some wiring, and note the horrible/falling paneling

some progress. Removed old paneling, and put sturdy drywall back, which sealed a lot of issues I totally was not aware of. there will be some spray foam from the outside in my future for sure.

Comments (19)