SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Boys Budget Bedroom Makeover (Pics)

ttodd
15 years ago

Well I'm almost done re-doing our boys bedroom this week while the oldest was at Grandma's & Pop Pop's. He's coming home any minute. This was a surprise for him.

The boys are 4 1/2 yrs & 2yrs. & wanted to share a rm. instead of giving up the playroom. It's sort of a Vintage Transit Theme.

Seriously I spent about $300 for everything that you see in the rm. I mean EVERYTHING & I could well be over estimating. OK - except the crib - that was a $40 E-bay buy & will go back to the nursery soon.

I'd been collecting & buying stuff for almost 2yrs. now mostly from Bombay Kids when I worked there until they closed. They are also the only new items in the rm. Everything else is found around the house, cheap or hand me downs from the white IKEA bureau that now houses clothes & toys that I had while in high school to the white shelving unit salvaged from when we closed our store 5 yrs. ago, to the $5 bed that DH refinished.

I couldn't thank my co-worker's at Bombay enough (even the liquidator who sold me some stuff at $1 on our last day) help me find things at the last minute & ship from around the country when we were given 3 months notice about closing.

So here it is so far (I wish I had better pics but my battery was dieing & I couldn't fuss around):

My camera battery died so this pic is very dark, it's the bureau between the beds:

Reading/ Play Area w/ big tire pillows for reading:

Some of the planes and Wall Hanging:

Yesterday I found a matching set of antique maple twin beds similar to the one that we already have for $100 for the pair. DH is picking them up today & taking them to the shop to make slats or them.

The vintage looking pics above the bed are from the movie Cars & I will lower them once DS2 (aka: Super Crazy) learns not to bang them.

I still have to get window panels for the windows & get rid of the shades (safety hazard w/ the strings).

Of course I'll have to get window gates for the window by the crib once the bed goes in.

You can hardly see it but at the bottom of the twin bed is a small toy bench that my dad made. I painted it dark cobalt blue yesterday & am going to distress it. My dad made another one that I am going to paint red & put at the bottom of the other bed.

Over time I will work on saving money to get matching colored baskets for the shelves (I'll probably paint cheap ones from IKEA). I'm also looking to purchase a few more vintage looking tin cars for the top shelf.

Well DH & DS1 should be home soon - I can't wait to show him what we did while he was gone! Thanks for looking!

Comments (17)