SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
ja_doe

Hi Designers! Need help designing this bedroom makeover. Modern Forest

Ja Doe
2 years ago

Hello Houzz Designers.

I know how to "match" colors, but I don't know how to "design"...what art work to put where, etc., and I was hoping that some of you more genetically gifted designers might be feeling generous and help a girl (who is good in business, but "design"... not so much) out.

Here are the specifications for this "make over" for those of you are feeling creative (and generous) with your time today.

I "decorated" (lol) the room in the pictures, it's OK, but kinda of "blah", nothing special. I want this room to * POP * in pictures on websites!

This is a nightly rental home, so with that in mind...

The theme of this room is "Modern Forest". I have the home on many websites, so I can't change it at this point. The home is close to downtown, but is surrounded by a forest, so it's "motto" is "Best of Both Worlds"

Your mission... should you choose to accept it :

Perimeters I need to stay within/ stats :

1) The Comforter color "level" (in terms of light/darkness) HAS to be dark beige or gray, etc., and "beyond", nothing lighter than dark beige. Green, Red, Blue, fine...just any color darker than dark beige. And no, we can't do white. (The white comforter shown in the pictures was for the pictures only, it was immediately removed after the pictures were taken. Yes, it looks awesome and clean, but this rental home is booked almost back to back from May to Sept, my crew sometimes only has 5 hours to flip this almost 5000 s/f, 7 bedroom home... so we can't be dealing with bleaching comforter with stains, etc.)

- Everything that guests sit (sofas, charis, etc.) or walk on has to be a variation of the color of "dirt."

- No stripes please, it takes time (money) to be lining up stripes all the time.

- No Polka Dots (because I hate them ;-)

- No Orange, Yellow, Rust, Peach, Mauve or Florescence colors, hot pink, neon green, etc (because I hate them ;-)

2) NO Solid Colors...The comforter has to have a lot of movement/pattern to hide a lot of stains and snags (think how much luggage gets thrown into the bed in a rental home...just like a hotel.)

3) The furniture can't be moved because it only fits the way it's shown in the picture. (Believe me, we're tried.)

4) The mirror on the wall can't be moved because it's hiding the electric box behind it that guests need to have access to in case of a power outage. BUT, it can be replaced with a piece of art... which I tend not to buy because I can never decide what art work looks good with what comforter, etc.

5) The carpet is staying the same for now. (It's beige with black and brown "flecks".)

6) I'd like to make the most of the amazing Forest views... I'm thinking large mirror over the bed to reflect the forest back into the room, but I don't know what color mirror frame to get. But the reflected forest "view" is all green forest and white square window panes. (Note: Please keep this in mind when suggesting comforter ideas. Will the pattern clash with the green forest views/white window panes?) You can see bits of the reflected forest view in the silly round circles mirrors above the bed. I just threw those up there because they were super cheap, and I panicked when I went to buy something (a mirror or art, etc.) for that space.

7) It's not a really high ceiling so any "elongating" ideas (no stripes, please) would be great. (I know you designers have special "powers" to make rooms appear bigger or taller, etc., I just don't know

what those powers are! )

8) New Table Lamps have to have the "UBS" chargers on the bases, as guests keep moving the nightstands to plug in their devices which are covered by the bed (which can't be moved [see above], ) and our crew is sick of moving the nightstands back 2 or 3 times a week. And those USB stands are tacky and a pain, so I'm limited to replacing the current lamps with lamps with built in USB chargers in them. I know that narrows my choices WAY down, but it is what it is.

9) The Dresser and Nightstands are med-dark brown, and have a high gloss lacquer finish, they're not black as they appear in the photos. (They're only a few years old, so we won't be replacing them.)

10) The room isn't super large (but we have to keep the bed King Size), it's approx. 13 x 14

I can paint almost anything that can stand still... on walls or furniture that is...My fav is hammered on furniture, as it hides a lot, but this room is a tad to "modern" for a hammered finish. The mirror is made up of matte metal pieces, so it looks modern in person, not "glittery" as it looks in this picture.

What about some fabulous paint ideas for the walls? (I LOVE black walls against the green forest, but I've already done that in the Dining Room [see my profile pic], and the Master Bedroom, so I think another painted black room would be over kill, right?)

So, I'm open to all idea... let's do this! (please)

Thanks to everyone in advance, who were born with that amazing "design gene" that I so clearly lack.

Comments (95)

• jay06
    2 years ago

To help you with design ideas, I wonder if you could tell us a little more about the general location of the home. I realize that trees surround it, but is it possible to go a little overboard on the forest theme if the wider area is urban? I could understand capitalizing on that theme if it's located in a typically "Northwoods" or Tahoe-type area, but--and this is strictly my opinion--theme rooms can sometimes be strange depending on where the house is--like a beachy theme in Kansas or wherever. The rental rate is actually not high for a seven-bedroom vacation home, so I'm wondering if it's not in a highly active vacation area. If it caters more to business travel, that would make a difference in design.

• hollybar
    2 years ago

@jay06 I was wondering same. The rental rate for 7 bedrooms, and allowing up to 20 guests, is not high.

@Ja Doe You would get better and more detailed advice with a link to the property or a series of pictures. No bedroom stands alone in a rental or residential home (except with kiddoes,like when you let them do what they want pretty much....."I see a red door and I want it painted black".....;)). You should be building a cohesive flow throughout that will transfer to the listing pics. Now it sounds to me like you have done this somewhat,but the devil is in the details. And I can't say if your three pics will or won't work in that room until I see them. Details,again. Also, is there a reason you don't use duvets? We have a couple short term rental properties and that is what we have found works best.

Ja Doe thanked hollybar
  • Related Discussions

bedroom makeover help

Q

Comments (26)
    I went to get the bedding today (pics ) and I found two that I bought in the end I did the headboard white instead of creme i posted a pic but I am not done it yet still needs pins and touch up I got the fabric for only 1$ a yard and I cant decide which bedding to do the first one has black designs going down it which I am not sure that I like and The second is from target I cant decide if I like it or should I just do a solid gray like the one in the picture of the room that I like but I don't know where to get something similar , also what do you think about moving the bed to the corner so that it is not under the window Thank you !!!!! Here is a link that might be useful: updated pics
    ...See More

Home Design Advice Needed~ Bedroom

Q

Comments (8)
    How much of the furniture in the room is your style and how much of it is "it's my first apartment and it's furnished from my parents' basement"? I have an eclectic sense of style, but I find myself drawn to unique pieces that have a bit of a story. The blue dresser is my favorite piece, it has a ton of character. However I don't want to stick with all the same style in the room, I don't like matching things. I also like contemporary modern things, pretty much anything that makes you thing where did you find that? The small dresser/night stand has been in my family for years, so I want to make it work. I'm not opposed to upcycling it, but I'm not sure how I'd go about it. And the chair I don't care too much about either way. What activities do you want to do in the room? Sleeping, obviously. But getting dressed? Surfing the net? Yoga? Reading--in bed or a comfy chair? Make-up or hair styling? I don't spend that much time in the bedroom. I guess this is the part where I add that my boyfriend also lives here but has no design opinion whatsoever. So I do want to try and define a space for both of us. I hung the skirt on the wall to try and bring the orange reds and pinks around the room, but I have since taken it down. We usually play video games on the ps3, or watch a movie and go to sleep. I'll take my clothes and bring them to the bathroom where I get ready, so I don't really use it for much. I do read in bed. The reason I have a chair is because we dont have a tv in our living room, so company will come into the bedroom to play video games and whatnot. In my living room, I have my computer for movies and tv, etc. What are the colors, paint and bedding you have chosen? Are they what's in the room now, or will you be changing all of them? The colors I like are pretty much in the room now. I like the mustard yellow gold in the rug (and have considered painting it with a white stripe or chevron?) The robin's egg and the grey, and the red orange are probably my favorite colors. I feel like there is alot of wood, and it is overwhelming. What does the headboard you are planning to make look like? I plan on painting a brick panel from lowe's matte white and hanging it from floor to ceiling behind the bed to bring the white from the ceiling down and the white from the bedding up, and breaking up the dark grey a little bit. That's next weekend's project. But that makes me wonder if using pallets to rest my mattress on would clash woods, or if I should paint them (white/black?) or what I should be putting my bed up on? I also wanted to hang some kind of art on top of the brick headboard. Another concern is the floor to ceiling expanse would make the bed itself look even smaller. A couple cool things about the brick panel is that It only needs a few nails to hold it up, I can take it from apartment to apartment and I can upholster it if I get bored. I also think it would add texture. What's your budget like? I have pretty much an open budget, I'd like to save up for a few things, but I like crafting and DIY too much to go buy a showroom set up for my bedroom. I want to put as much of myself into it as I can.
    ...See More

Help with Bedroom Makeover Please

Q

Comments (37)
    That's okay about the bed! I think it's great to look at higher priced items anyway to get inspiration then find something less pricey in that same style :) I only suggested the stikwood as a way to draw in some interest and texture and visual on that tall wall but it's totally not the only option in doing so. You could possibly do a large print on the wall. That bedding color is really nice and a great accent color! one thing to remember you don't have to rush to but a room together. And have it look like you just went to a catalog and bought everything. Surround yourself with what you really love. And you will be much more pleased with the outcome.
    ...See More

Bedroom furniture design ideas

Q

Comments (9)
    Patricia, any ideas on headboard design? I completely agree on the bedding- also on the to-do list. We don't want to convert entirely to mid century modern, just migrate towards a middle ground over time. At this point we would not be able to get rid of the big dresser. Thoughts on just changing out the mirror?
    ...See More
  • Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hello all... SO many great ideas. Actually I do have a designer, but alas she's on maternity leave and so busy with her newborn now. I thought of hiring another designer, but I kinda feel like I would be "cheating" on her if I hire another designer...lol...(she wouldn't feel that way at all, she's great.) Also, she's done so many of the rooms, I wanted to see if I could "stretch my wings" and do one or two or the more "insignificant" rooms myself. I trying to conquer my fears about designing..it's more of a challenge than anything else... and no, thus far it has not been a lot of "fun", but I'm hoping it will.

My biggest obstacle is I that like SO many things I see online, I want it all, and I know that's all kinds of wrong and end up doing, well, little to nothing and end up with ...well, see the picture of bedroom above to see how it turns out...it doesn't end well.

I LOVE dark walls, but the dining room is already painted in a dark charcoal gray, (that's my profile pic) as is the Master bedroom, and I want to see if I can "squeeze" in just one more room that has a lot of window "stuff" going on that would look "dramatic" with a dark wall, so I don't want to go overboard on the dark wall trend.

Now...wallpaper? Is that a thing now? Is that back? When I think of wallpaper I think of my Mom's foil wallpaper from the 80's... But if it's a new thing in designing (I don't follow design at all), sure, I'd absolutely consider it. It's another interesting option. But again, it can't "fight" with the forest view and it has to be something that can be "scrubbed" from all the fingerprints.

@Molly is right about the super dark wall against the dark furniture. That's why I was thinking medium forest green. (And I adore the 1st piece of artwork you added Molly.) And those 2 green rooms are fabulous! The lights on the 3rd room are everything! It won't work for this room, but I'm definitely going to use it one of the other rooms that is a little more "boring" (the room with no forest view) to add a "pop" to it

@Jay, you are absolutely right, I don't want the room to be "woodsy", that's why I wasn't keen on the "tree" wallpaper someone suggested..it's just too obvious. We have the Twin bedroom in that "theme" because usually kids stay in that room...But rental homes with plaid and deer antlers, etc., around my area are a dime a dozen.

I just want to "draw" aspects of the forest into the room...combine the slick, dark modern furniture with the forest... I'm probably not describing it correctly

How about describing it like this... I want it to seem as if a sleek, modern bedroom had been placed in a forest, and somehow it perfectly fits in. That's probably a dreadful description (that only exists in my mind.)

@Nosoccermom... I love every single one of the rooms you added...every single one.

Now I'm back to thinking blue again... but does blue clash with "forest" ?

The other "issue" is, *** that room doesn't have a real high ceiling*** . It's the shortest room in the house. Do dark (ish) walls make rooms seem shorter/smaller? I thought they did, but I'm not sure.

And how many walls does everyone think could I get away with painting a dark(ish) color?

As far as the nightly rent goes...I was thinking of what it rents for right now, as in last week, in the dead of winter (excluding the holidays and New Years.) Starting March it will rent from $1300-$2000-ish a night.

We mostly cater to business executives, film crews/celebs, oddly enough "Hip Hop" artists and then when May comes around, it's....weddings, weddings, weddings.

Lastly, I just thought this last night, I'm not opposed to getting rid of the dark headboard. It does match the rest of the set, but it's always been a pain in terms of "strudi-ness" (it wiggles a bit even though we've had several carpenters, etc., try to re-nenforce it. But It's curved about 4 inches away from the wall, so that doesn't help.

So the bedroom would be 2 high gloss dark brown night stands and matching dresser with a... "Beige"... headboard? I'd like to find a "platform" bed to reduce labor costs of constantly having to fish things guest's have left out from under the bed and we have to mail back to them and of course the constant straightening of the bed skirt... which I hate.

Ok, think that covers it for now.

Thank you so much for everyone's input, it really is helping.

PS: Mind my typos and grammar errors :-)

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If you do decide to change the bed, might I suggest a metal or acrylic canopy bed to reduce that "ick" factor with upholstered options in public settings? The canopy will draw the eye up making the room feel larger than it is.

Wallpaper, yes, it's back. Might be a way to get your pics noticed on websites.

Here's a nature-inspired option I'd use for the headboard wall. Perhaps it can inform your bedding choice. You could paint the rest of the room one of the lighter blues or greens from it.

phillipjeffries

For the bedspread, I would get a few duvet covers made in contract grade fabric. It offers quite an array of options that meet your dirt camouflaging criterion. Looking at bedding online marketed for residential use is a bit pointless for a rental home, I think.

Hope these ideas help. Good luck!

• nosoccermom
    2 years ago

I know you said no to white, but if you get duvet covers in linen from, yes, IKEA or H&M, you can easily bleach them. Just dilute the bleach.

Or check out duvet covers on West Elm, Crate and Barrel.

Personally, I don't like green unless it's more bluish green, like this

Rather than this, or a more yellow green

It also depends on how much natural light the room gets.

Look at Emily Henderson's mountain cabin; second pic I posted above; blue certainly works, especially with some green accents or plants. Think midnight sky :)

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I wrote a long reply and had loads of questions on all these amazing suggestions...then my computer crashed :-( I'm going to try again later.

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok, is this "3D" wallpaper too crazy? The fact that it's black and white makes me feel like it won't "fight" with the real green forest and gives it a modern feel. And I like the fact that it's not a "drawing" it's a photograph of a real tree, but in black and white

Something I forgot to add...

There is an area above on the headboard/nightstand wall that jets out about 20 inches deep and about 10 inches "tall" all along the wall. (It holds some of the venting in it.) It's finished the same as the rest of the walls.

I was thinking to run the wallpaper over the space as well, so the wallpaper "branches" would be over head of the bed about 20 inches. So the wallpaper isn't just behind the bed, it's above the bed.

Then simple, gray and charcoal color, textured comforter, pillows, etc. Similar to the colors in the picture.

Keep in mind that the other side of the room is all forest, very "friendly" and inviting... Deer and chipmunks running around everywhere...It's like a Disney movie, bluebirds practically fly through the windows and lay out the guest's clothes ;-)

What do you all think... Cool or Creepy?

• Oliviag/ bring back Sophie
    2 years ago
    Creepy. Very . I wouldn't be able to sleep.
  • Molly
    2 years ago

I like the idea, but i don’t like the fog. It looks creepy to me too.

Ja Doe thanked Molly
  • Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That was my 1 resistance to this wallpaper, @Molly... the fog.

I do love it and am still thinking about for it for another room that is big and sunny and has light furniture.

I really love it with the light furniture and light gold-ish accents.

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

But back to the drawing board for the original bedroom...

• Jora
    2 years ago

Am I seriously the only person who is in LOVE with this dramatic wallpaper?

Ja Doe thanked Jora
  • Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No @Jora, I am in love with it too. And I'm looking into buying it for another room. That room is one of the few rooms that doesn't have a forest view, so it won't "fight" with the real forest.

I definitely think using light furniture and light gold accents rather than the gray as I was originally thinking, definitely gives it a warmer, "breezier" and even a "romantic" feel.

• Molly
    2 years ago
    I like it, just not in the bedroom.
  • Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Like this set, the color and metal buttons give it an interesting "industrial" feel to it. A juxtapose to the natural forest setting. The light gray background has a "crushed concrete" look to it.... but I HATE the boring beige paint... Anyone have any interesting suggestions for the walls?

• Molly
    2 years ago

This is WAY over the budget based on some internet price searching, but it was too pretty not to share (and I'm not usually a green person!). It's Schumacher so you know it's pricey.

https://www.fschumacher.com/item/5008380

Ja Doe thanked Molly
  • Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also thinking of going in a different direction with a forest colored comforter, but then what with the walls? Go with @Patricia's idea of wood on the walls? I would go with a light wood. I could continue to the light wood into the room and up the wall? I could get some large, light Euro pillows to break up the green from the dark brown headboard.

???

• kmg11
    2 years ago

I like the idea of some nice art or a featured mural or wallpaper on your bed wall. It could be a very subtle pattern. I don't think I would do a mirror above the bed. If any of your guests follow fung shui, it's suppose to be bad energy. It could also fall on them if there a bit rowdy-lol! A fabric headboard would also be nice., especially for reading in bed. Wood elements and some greenery to bring the forest inside.

More of a modern wilderness take wallpaper...would be pretty with greens.

(2181) Pinterest · More Info

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That is very nice @KMG11... it's looks like "abstract" branches. With the forest green comforter, correct? Is that what you're thinking? This wall paper on the wall behind the shiny brown headboard/nightstands with large, white Euro pillows in between the brown headboards and the green comforter pillows ?

PS: I didn't know about the Fung Shui thing...good to know!

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Molly... I agree with your 1st instinct that dark walls with the dark brown furniture won't work...but I LOVE where your going with the "feather" inspired wallpaper... what about one of the light colors shown on the site?

And I have no idea what "Schumacher wallpaper" is...but I'm guessing if I have to apply to become a member, just to SEE the prices, it's pretty pricey.

I can spend about $500 on that wall.

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What about this "concrete" (?) wallpaper...Again the juxtapose to the natural forest?

Forget the awful mint green pillows in this picture... This with the forest green comforter?

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Love this as well...will it work with the forest green comforter? Love the blinds as well.

• Molly
    2 years ago
    The Schumacher was about $11,000 ... crazy!
  • Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok, after I showed a friend my wallpaper design ideas, she mentioned what a massive pain it would be if a guest were to tear or rip a piece of the wallpaper... Then I have to deal with submitting it to insurance, waiting for them to pay, hoping there still is the same design in stock, etc.... I hadn't even considered that.

Back to paint...

What about some sort of textured paint? I can actually do that myself.

I'm still stuck on the forest green comforter. I think it's very dramatic and will "pop" in the online pictures... but I'd still like a little more "drama" behind on the headboard wall

Thoughts...

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

$11,000 ... for a piece of wallpaper... That is insane.

I wouldn't spend that much if I were Bill Gates.

What a massive waste of money... think of all the good you could do with $11,000.

I'm getting angry just thinking about how wasteful that is! lol

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Just as fashion designers create a few things solely for the runway wow and subsequent notices/press in magazines and online? Home follows suit. Nobody at Schumacher expects to sell two rolls .

" Composed of natural feathers that are painstakingly hand gathered and applied, it is the ultimate in luxury."

Much of Schumacher is quite palatable in pricing.. despite it is a" to the trade " source. Were I to paper in a use such as this, the only thing I would consider is a Phillip Jeffries commercial grasscloth. The textures and wider widths and lucious textures belie their serviceability in a high traffic area.

• kmg11
    2 years ago

My thought is if you decide on a darker comforter, along with the dark furniture, the walls should stay lighter. Opposite if walls go dark, the bedding would look better lighter.

A quick search turned up these. What were you planning for sheets?

Charisma Regent Single Coverlet & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

Dagny Teal Bedding | CB2 · More Info

Some options for artwork and accent pillow...

Dark Green Print. Modern Art Print. Forest Green Watercolor | Etsy · More Info

York Botanical – McGee & Co. · More Info

Ja Doe thanked kmg11
  • Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes @kmg11 , I agree with you on the light walls against the dark furniture/comforter... I'm just trying to sort out if something interesting can be done with paint on the walls.

As for the sheets, we'll continue to use our regular sheets. We have 5 sets for each of the 7 bedrooms, 5 of the 7 bedrooms get flannel sheets almost year round, so we're limited as to design, but they won't be showing.

And I love the watercolor picture.

And I think I'm decided on the dark comforter/light walls idea... Walls are easy to clean. No one is getting "all day foundation make up" and lipstick on the walls...contrary to what has been floated on this thread, there are many, many, stains that in fact cannot be "bleached out"... Plus white comforters are "expected" and boring. IMHO

• Molly
    2 years ago

Here is an idea.

• Molly
    2 years ago

This link has a lot of ideas. I like the checkerboard and metallic paint ideas.

https://www.thespruce.com/decorative-paint-techniques-for-bedroom-walls-350790

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

LOVE the metallic painted wall @Molly. Thank you so much for suggesting it.

Two concerns...

1) Would a metallic painted wall be "too much" with the green comforter?

It would be:

a. Metallic Wall

b. Dark Brown high gloss Headboard & 2 nightstands

c. 2 Large, White Euro Pillows (to "break up" the darkness between dark brown headboard and dark green sham/comforter.)

d. Green Shams and Comforter.

2) What color? Silver to match the hardware on the dressers & night stands?

• Molly
    2 years ago

What about an oyster color?

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Actually that's a very good idea @Molly... or maybe even the lightest one, the 1st one the left. I do like the lightness of the walls in the picture of the comforter, but I don't just want to do plain off white walls.

What about a "pearly" metallic ?

And then the rest of the walls would be the same color in an eggshell or flat finish?

I also like that piece of artwork they have in a slightly darker shade than the walls.

Although, I still like that "print"? you suggested, the one with with the green on the lower half. But it's some sort of "downloadable" print thing. Also, it's very small, too small for that wall.

If I could figure out what it is, maybe do 3? One lower green down, 1 lower green up and 1 lower green down?

Also, that print "feels" like it adds a bit of "masculinity", without being over the top.

Could you send me a link to that metallic paint, please?

Thanks again so much for all your help.

• Molly
    2 years ago
    I can’t send links from my phone, but it is the Modern Masters brand line. I had my painter add the sheer version to the white paint for my cove molding to give is a pearly sheen.
    Ja Doe thanked Molly
  • Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks @Molly, I'll check it out.

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Some other ideas... looking at technique for the black wall, not color. Also like the light and blue wall, again with different colors. Also, think the horizontal wall (the cream and gray/blue room), would make the low ceiling in my room look lower, so I'd do it vertical instead. Just really like the technique.

But... does it "match" with modern furniture... or should it?

This is where I go off the rails in design... I like too many things and think I'm going too far, so I back off and end up with ...blah.

• Molly
    2 years ago

Both of these pictures are metallic plaster which are pretty, but will leave your walls bumpy so if in the future you want to change things out, there will be a lot of sanding to get them smooth again.

What about strie which will give you vertical lines? Pearly paint would be pretty - it looks like you may need 2 colors using this technique.

Do you have a link to the bedding you like?

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Molly,

Yes I was thinking about going vertical , mostly because that room has a low ceiling... is a vertical pattern, "strie" ?

The walls currently have an "orange peel" texture on them, think I'll have to "strip" the texture off to get back to the "smooth" drywall to do the "strie" ?

The comforter I'm thinking of is the forest green one I added in the picture above.

I like that whole room, but it's a bit on the feminine side, I'd like it to be a little more neutral.

I'd like to do a metallic, "pearly" with a touch of silver (as opposed to the gold tones,), but I need to "man it up". lol

So I'd like that wall (or walls ?) to have a bit more of a "street" (?), "industrial" feel to it.

I'd still like to sort out what that green print that @kmg11 added is, as opposed to a "flower", etc. on the headboard wall.

• Molly
    2 years ago
    This is strie up close (blue). Here is another cool one using multiple metallic paint (too dark, but a cool look). There is always ombré stripes.
  • Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This one is a base color of gray. I'm thinking I'd take the pillow that comes with the set to be color matched, then use the metallic pearl paint over that. Vertical stripes of course.

Do I just do the one wall?

Also, do I add any small lines of the green and/or maybe perhaps bits of brown from the dresser/nightstands?

I'm not exactly sure how to "tie" the forest green (comforter), dark brown (dresser & nightstands), and silver/nickel from all the dresser/nightstand pulls and off white/beige from the comforter pillows?

Or DOES everything have to tie in at all?

I really don't know.

• Molly
    2 years ago

The picture looks like it has a beige base coat (see wall color under the window) which likely goes around the other 2 walls as well. I'd get some paint samples (green and pearl) and try the vertical strie technique on a sample board. You may not like the darkness of the background color as I thought you were looking for a more neutral wall color. I would only use the technique on the wall behind the headboard.

I don't think you need to tie in the green in the paint since it will be used in your art. That artist also does custom work so maybe you can work with him/her on the piece(s) for over the bed.

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm going back and forth on adding in some small streaks of the green and bits of silver.

Here's what I'm thinking as of now:

1) Base coat - Color match to the beige/light gray in the pillow that comes with set (see picture of forest green comforter I added above.)

2) Add a FEW streaks ("strie"- the vertical lines), of the green and light gray (or whatever the "beige/light gray" pillow color is). I would add maybe 1 streak of each every 7 - 8 inches. I probably wouldn't even be using a teaspoon of each color for the entire wall. I doubt it would even show in the pictures, but when one is in the room, they would see a very subtle lines of the green and light gray. And if I even change the comforter, I could just paint over the green and light gray streaks.

3) Add the metallic paint (something light and "pearly") as the final coat on the headboard wall.

4) Paint the rest of the walls in the base coat (the beige/ light gray color matched from the pillow.)

I really like the "drama" of the forest green comforter against the light walls.

I also love that large gold metallic vase in @Molly 's picture. Thinking of doing something like that in a pewter. Now just have to find a massive vase that doesn't cost $300+ dollars.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

The last thing a guest requires is a vase. A lamp on the dresser ? Yeah. A very good spend of 200 dollars.

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Jan. As with many items I've seen on this thread, I was merely admiring the vase.

Please point out in my comment where I stated this vase would be for the/a bedroom.

I'll wait...

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

"Thinking of doing something like that in a pewter. Now just have to find a massive vase that doesn't cost $300+ dollars."

Hard to know what you'll actually DO for this room, Ja Doe. You flit a lot in your comments.

• Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tartanmeup Thinking about doing something does not mean I'll be doing it in that room, (or any room at all for that matter,) so I'm not sure what quoting my comment was meant to accomplish. Unless your quote was meant to reiterate that I did not mention using a vase in the bedroom I'm attempting to "design".

Again, nothing in my comment mentioned the vase in regards to my bedroom project.

And if I "DO" "flit a lot" in my comments, who cares?

Is there some sort of time and/or comment limit on this site that I am not aware of?

• felizlady
    2 years ago
    Place larger/taller lamps on the nightstands, art instead of mirrors, and add a headboard of some sort. You can use the small lamps on the long table under the window.
    Ja Doe thanked felizlady
  • Ja Doe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hello @Felizlady.

Good idea about the taller lamps...I'm guessing this is to make this low ceiling room seem taller? And art instead of a mirror seems to be the general consensus.

A few questions:

1) Would you put both smaller lamps on the dresser (that sits below the window), or just one ?

2) There is a headboard there now, (it matches the rest of the furniture,) are you suggesting get a different headboard?

3) If I change the headboard, (which I'm not opposed to, [see "headboard" comments above,]) what do you suggest?

Thanks for the feedback.