SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ja_doe

Hi Designers! Need help designing this bedroom makeover. Modern Forest

Ja Doe
5 years ago

Hello Houzz Designers.

I know how to "match" colors, but I don't know how to "design"...what art work to put where, etc., and I was hoping that some of you more genetically gifted designers might be feeling generous and help a girl (who is good in business, but "design"... not so much) out.

Here are the specifications for this "make over" for those of you are feeling creative (and generous) with your time today.

I "decorated" (lol) the room in the pictures, it's OK, but kinda of "blah", nothing special. I want this room to * POP * in pictures on websites!

This is a nightly rental home, so with that in mind...

The theme of this room is "Modern Forest". I have the home on many websites, so I can't change it at this point. The home is close to downtown, but is surrounded by a forest, so it's "motto" is "Best of Both Worlds"

Your mission... should you choose to accept it :

Perimeters I need to stay within/ stats :

1) The Comforter color "level" (in terms of light/darkness) HAS to be dark beige or gray, etc., and "beyond", nothing lighter than dark beige. Green, Red, Blue, fine...just any color darker than dark beige. And no, we can't do white. (The white comforter shown in the pictures was for the pictures only, it was immediately removed after the pictures were taken. Yes, it looks awesome and clean, but this rental home is booked almost back to back from May to Sept, my crew sometimes only has 5 hours to flip this almost 5000 s/f, 7 bedroom home... so we can't be dealing with bleaching comforter with stains, etc.)

- Everything that guests sit (sofas, charis, etc.) or walk on has to be a variation of the color of "dirt."

- No stripes please, it takes time (money) to be lining up stripes all the time.

- No Polka Dots (because I hate them ;-)

- No Orange, Yellow, Rust, Peach, Mauve or Florescence colors, hot pink, neon green, etc (because I hate them ;-)

2) NO Solid Colors...The comforter has to have a lot of movement/pattern to hide a lot of stains and snags (think how much luggage gets thrown into the bed in a rental home...just like a hotel.)

3) The furniture can't be moved because it only fits the way it's shown in the picture. (Believe me, we're tried.)

4) The mirror on the wall can't be moved because it's hiding the electric box behind it that guests need to have access to in case of a power outage. BUT, it can be replaced with a piece of art... which I tend not to buy because I can never decide what art work looks good with what comforter, etc.

5) The carpet is staying the same for now. (It's beige with black and brown "flecks".)

6) I'd like to make the most of the amazing Forest views... I'm thinking large mirror over the bed to reflect the forest back into the room, but I don't know what color mirror frame to get. But the reflected forest "view" is all green forest and white square window panes. (Note: Please keep this in mind when suggesting comforter ideas. Will the pattern clash with the green forest views/white window panes?) You can see bits of the reflected forest view in the silly round circles mirrors above the bed. I just threw those up there because they were super cheap, and I panicked when I went to buy something (a mirror or art, etc.) for that space.

7) It's not a really high ceiling so any "elongating" ideas (no stripes, please) would be great. (I know you designers have special "powers" to make rooms appear bigger or taller, etc., I just don't know

what those powers are! )

8) New Table Lamps have to have the "UBS" chargers on the bases, as guests keep moving the nightstands to plug in their devices which are covered by the bed (which can't be moved [see above], ) and our crew is sick of moving the nightstands back 2 or 3 times a week. And those USB stands are tacky and a pain, so I'm limited to replacing the current lamps with lamps with built in USB chargers in them. I know that narrows my choices WAY down, but it is what it is.

9) The Dresser and Nightstands are med-dark brown, and have a high gloss lacquer finish, they're not black as they appear in the photos. (They're only a few years old, so we won't be replacing them.)

10) The room isn't super large (but we have to keep the bed King Size), it's approx. 13 x 14

I can paint almost anything that can stand still... on walls or furniture that is...My fav is hammered on furniture, as it hides a lot, but this room is a tad to "modern" for a hammered finish. The mirror is made up of matte metal pieces, so it looks modern in person, not "glittery" as it looks in this picture.

What about some fabulous paint ideas for the walls? (I LOVE black walls against the green forest, but I've already done that in the Dining Room [see my profile pic], and the Master Bedroom, so I think another painted black room would be over kill, right?)

So, I'm open to all idea... let's do this! (please)

Thanks to everyone in advance, who were born with that amazing "design gene" that I so clearly lack.

Comments (95)