SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weirdcatlady

How badly did I screw this recipe up?

MizLizzie
6 years ago

So, I have been looking quite a while for an old fashion spice cake recipe like my grandmother used to make. I was stocking up at Penzey’s yesterday, and feeling inspired when I got home, I decided to look on their website. I thought I found the perfect recipe :https://www.penzeys.com/shop/recipes/maw-maw-pearl-s-ginger-cake/

I just made it, and the batter came out incredibly thin. Like thin gruel. Full disclosure: I do not bake a lot of cakes. I am more of a bread person. But the batter was so thin, I could not imagine it would bake. Thinking through what I had done, I decided I must’ve shorted my flour. So I threw in an extra half cup. It still seemed way, way too thin. But I have put it in the oven anyway. I was afraid to add another half cup.

Sorry, this sounds like a newbie cook, and I’m far from it. But apparently I have reached the age where I need to write down every ingredient and the amount as I add it. Will a cake this thin actually rise? And if I did start with the right amount of flour, how badly will the extra half cup be?

Comments (17)