SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reesepbuttercup

Designing fireplace and I need help! Thanks

I've decided to construct a fireplace and a built in bookcase and could use some help. The fireplace will house an electric log unit as I will not be running a gas line there. So the whole thing will be a faux fireplace but I don't want it too look fake. I'd like a nice focal point in my very small, open living room of my two year old house. The entire downstairs of my house is only maybe 800 sq ft and with the exception of the powder room, you can see the entire thing (kitchen/dining/living room) from the front door.

I'm in the process of redecorating. I plan to get a new rug, sofa, window treatment for the side door, and the cabinets are being painted. Overall I'm going for a light and airy feel, some colonial style/ English country look.

The kitchen isn't done yet but the cabinets are in the process of being painted a linen sort of color, white appliances, Carrara marble counters. All walls are SE Dover White with bright white baseboards and doors

Heres the kitchen inspiration (kitchen is just a few steps from the "living room")

Actual house. Fireplace will go where red tv stand is currently. Built-in bookcase to the left is what I'm thinking. TV will not be over the fireplace, perhaps a smaller one will go to the left in or above the bookcase, not sure.

Standing at front door (living room to the right, staircase to the left)

The wall opposite of where the fireplace will go (fake stove will be going)

So what I'm envisioning will not be symmetrical, but with the door on the right it's not symmetrical anyway. The fireplace surround will go all the way up to the ceiling and I'm thinking of using beadbord above the surround (I have bead board nearby in the mudroom hallway). I will have the fireplace bumped out a bit

Here's a rough sketch of what I have in mind

I guess I'm looking for confirmation that this will look good. Also, suggestions on fireplace surround materials? I'm planning on going with a traditional white painted mantle, probably the one piece colonial style thing you can get from Home Depot. I have white subway tile as the kitchen backsplash, should I do the surround in that? Or maybe brick veneer? The exterior of my house does not have any brick or stone.

Some fireplace inspiration pictures I've collected. My fireplace will be smaller in scale, width-wise anyway. And there will only be one built in to the left

Comment

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH