SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Turning one huge room into 2 or 3 bedrooms

Peke
6 years ago

Yes, the entire garage with upstairs room is at an angle. Previous owners wanted it that way. The rest of the house is on the left side squared to face the lake. (not on drawing.) A master bedroom and 12' x 12' bedroom is downstairs with the living room and kitchen.

We will be selling in a couple of years so we need to think about future resale. I know it's not a good drawing, but it's the best I could do. Here are the options I came up with.

1. We can keep the room upstairs, as is, except for new windows.

2. We can change the upstairs room to 3 bedrooms. That would give us a 5 bedroom house. We need new windows for egress.

1. We can put 2 bedrooms upstairs and add a kitchenette and living area upstairs along with an exterior door and stairs on the exterior of the house. That would give us a 2 bedroom house downstairs with a 2 bedroom vacation rental upstairs. The upstairs already has an electrical panel, a bathroom, and separate heat/AC units with thermostat.

Oklahoma does not have many codes for bedrooms. Window egress, plus amount of light a window lets in, and I think 1 wall has to be at least 7 or 8 ft long.

Does anyone have suggestions for creating the 3 bedrooms? Or a kitchenette/living area with 2 bedrooms? There is a pre-existing beam in our garage ceiling to support the upstairs. Thanks

Comments (15)