SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Alternate noodles, mostly gluten free, from Japanese market

Lars
6 years ago

I use a lot of Japanese noodles in making soups and other dishes, and yesterday I went back to Marukai Market to restock. Luckily, I received a $5 coupon via email just before I went. Here's some of what I bought:

Fu-mihoujyun Soba noodles (contains wheat as well as buckwheat)
Maiko Soba, also made with wheat and buckwheat, but also contains yam.

The rest I believe are gluten free:

Brown rice pasta with Moroheiya, definitely gluten free and made in a factory that is gluten free.
Front and back views of potato starch Cellophane noodle (left) and green bean starch Vermicelli (right)

Saifun bean threads made with mung bean and potato starch (left) and Konnyaku Noodles made with tapioca starch and konjac starch.

I was not out of regular rice noodles, and so I did not buy any more of those, but the rest I had bought before and needed to replace. I use bean thread and rice noodles to make salads or Pad Thai, and the rest I use mainly in soups, including the soba noodles. The brown rice pasta with Moroheiya is new to me, and is the only one I had not bought before. I do not plan to use that in soup but as a dish by itself with some sort of sauce that I have not yet decided upon. I might make a pasta salad with it, as that is recommended on the back of the package.

I am posting this mainly to show gluten free pasta options, even though the first two are not gluten free. The soba noodles are my favorites in soup, but I also like the tapioca noodles and rice and bean noodles in soup. I also bought some Hawaiian Saimin noodles, but they are made completely with wheat. That is the main wheat noodle I use in Japanese soups. I used to use fresh Yakisoba noodles, but I found that I like the dried soba noodles better.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County