SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcarole

Home office is a disaster

Teresa
10 years ago
Hi. My husband and I both work outside the home but we also do quite a lot of work from home as well so we both need a desk. Mine is typically pretty tidy - his is full of projects and gadgets.

Here are the issues:

Lighting: The office gets a lot of natural light but the problem is that it's "too bright". The light coming in the windows, if fully opened, is too much to see a computer screen without squinting. The shades block too much light and make it too dark. So, I need a compromise between privacy (the office is in the front of the house) and light - not too much.

Clutter: I cringe when I look at my husband's desk and corner. He doesn't want me to mess with his desk too much but has admitted to being willing to accept a "tchotchke shelf" so he can get some of his little sentimental do-dads off his desk. But what else can I do to help him organize some of the things on his desk?

Colors: The shade on the walls is a dreary olive drab. I don't want to have to repaint the trim though, because it's the same in the whole house - Benjamin Moore Linen White. Can I brighten up the walls with a color that is cheery and goes with Linen White?

I am also planning to paint both the desks and the filing cabinet if I can decide on colors. I think this can brighten up the room significantly as well.

Storage: We both have large oak teacher's desks with drawers for stuff plus a file cabinet. I also have a book case with drawers on the bottom. The 3 bottom drawers are entirely filled with purses. I know - I need to get rid of some purses or find some other location for them. I don't really need book storage as we usually donate all our books after reading them and try not to horde books. The only thing we need is a "staging area" is a place to put our battery charger which is inside the cabinet + some place for me to display some of my sentimental tchotchkes. I can get rid of this shelf altogether.

Also, I plan to get rid of the chair in the corner and coat rack. I found a Crate and Barrel bench with cubbies at a thrift store. It was black so I primered it and plan to paint it. Inside the two cubbies I plan to put baskets or bins to hold the recycling/garbage bins. Right now, I just have two black cans.

The paper shredder can go in the closet - we don't use it daily.

So, I'm thinking curtains will soften the light but provide privacy. But that's as far as I've gotten. My husband has a new piece of art for over his desk, a 20x30" black and white photo and i have a large piece of art that is about 48 x 60" and is mostly white. I'm thinking a more neutral and light palette, but the Aeron chairs (in black) have to stay so I need to work with them.

I welcome any and all ideas.

Thanks! Teresa

Comments (112)