SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missmyrnaloy

Help - Work/home office ongoing disaster - floating shelves

missmyrnaloy
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Looking to do something different with a computer desk.

The desk I use is really nice but super large and bf's he bought for his now ex-wife at the time (they have been divorced over a decade before we met and left the desk there) Sauder circa 90's double pedestal with a large hutch. Beautiful but hard to incorporate all my equipment and it is in a very small den... So... I have 24 inches from door trim to wall and the room is 8 X 9 approximately. I like useable space that is easy to have everything in reach and hidden. I feel like I am overwhelmed and drowning in this space. I got the ok to ditch the desk finally and paint. I have been living here since about 2012. I want soothing earth tones, greens, and color and want to change out the window to a smaller window with bump out for the cat and plants. Please help... this space is dreary and depressing.

Here is a list of the things I need to squeeze in... I want to have everything in a vertical space...30 inches by 24 or 25 max.

• Asus Tower - 7w X 16 X 16
  • Dell Thin Client - 1.5 X 7 X 7.5
  • Cable Modem - 7.5 X 2 X 7.25
  • Asus Router - 16 X 10 X 8 (with att extended)
  • Canon Printer - 12 X 15 X 6 (would like this to a be roll out)
  • Epson Perfection v600 Photo Scanner - 19.5 X 11 X 5 (would like this to a be roll out)
  • Scale - 9 X 9 X 3 (would like this to be a roll out)
  • USB Hub - 2.25 X 9 X 1 (with wires plugged in ) 3.5
  • External Dvd Drives @ 7 - 6 X 5.5 X .25
  • External Drive 5 Terrabytes - 7 X 5 X 1.75
  • External Drives 10 Terrabytes - 6 X 7 X 2
  • External Drives portable @ 7 - 3.5 X 5
  • HP 2009M Monitor - 7 X 20 X 17
  • Keyboard and Mouse -

Some ideas I am kicking around; a small decorative file with a couple of drawers... leaving the rest of the room open.

I wanted to change the room but need to start with the office part first... I am trying to get everything off the floors and use vertical space to my advantage... ceilings are 102" and still sorting through my mum's things as well...and want to strip the paint off the grill vents. This house was built in 1920 or so and everything seems original except for the paint. It is my significant other's house.

I also have another issue... my 19lb cat/no not obese just largely built... funny but not really... he sleeps on the keyboard at times while I work... keyboard area has to be strong and he sleeps in the corner of the desk I have since cluttered that up. So maybe some perch that is strong enough to hold him near all this? My biggest issue is cording... I need to be able to access the cords without being a contortionist... I want to hide all the cords and small drives as possible without overheating anything.

Ideas -

Facebook · More Info

Facebook · More Info

Myrna Loy | Facebook · More Info

Facebook · More Info

(9) Pinterest · More Info

something like this but more

Comments (24)