SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmstaley

DFW area - New home, lawn is a disaster, seeking advice

rmstaley
13 years ago

We recently bought a home in the DFW area and I have quickly learned that what I thought was a nice bermuda lawn just hadn't bared it's fangs yet.

As soon as spring rolled around the Dallisgrass sprang into action, taking over nearly the entire area between the curb and sidewalk. I originally tried multiple treatments of Weed'B'Gon with Crabgrass killer, and after that failed and I learned that MSMA was no longer produced I turned to the atom bomb, Round Up. My original plan was to take this year to do everything I could to get the lawn on its way by fertilizing, soil amendments, and removing weeds.

After deciding it was worth killing off some of the Bermuda, I used Round Up on the Dallisgrass, spot treating so much that in one area it wiped out a good 75% of the lawn (trust me when I say that 95% of that was Dallisgrass). What I didn't do was attempt to remove the dead weeds afterward, or dethatch the areas that were inhabited by the Dallisgrass, so the area stayed dead and now the weeds are starting to come back.

Feel free to call me out on my rookie mistake, but I knew the risks and decided to do it anyway. Had I the time, I would have loved to remove the weeds manually.

This brings me to the advice part. To add to the weed issue, I also have Sycamore trees and a Live Oak that were never trimmed, resulting in extremely thin Bermuda under the canopies. I would like to level/regrade the lawn because it is uneven, but I would first and foremost like to resolve the issue with muddy runoff and thicken the Bermuda.

I'm attaching some photo albums with photos of my frankenlawn, and would appreciate any helpful feedback or guidance that may be provided. My goal this weekend is to send a soil sample off to the Agricultural Extension office so that I know about my lawn's deficiencies.

http://img39.imageshack.us/g/img1277o.jpg/

and

http://img202.imageshack.us/g/img1281k.jpg/

Again, any advice or criticism would definitely be appreciated. I would sat some point like to get the lawn to a point where I can treat it organically.

Comments (12)