SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wcthomas_gw

Adding previously canned tomatoes to new batch

wcthomas
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Two years ago I put up 23 quarts of tomato juice and I have not been drinking them as much as I expected. The juice was made from ripe home grown tomatoes and lightly seasoned with a very small amount of onions, garlic, and peppers. The batches were acidified with citric acid and pressure canned at 15 lbs for 15 minutes.

I plan now on putting up a batch of tomato soup which will have considerably more onions and garlic, but the ratio of tomatoes to low acid vegetables is well within similar approved recipes. The quarts of soup will also be acidified with citric acid and pressure canned at 15 lbs but for 45 minutes.

Since my tomato crop is waning, I would like to extend this batch of soup by adding the last six quarts of tomato juice from 2015. I have read here that one should not use previously canned foods as ingredients in new batches, but I don’t know why. If the juice is good enough to drink as is, why would it not be safe to add to the soup, especially considering it will be re-acidified and re-pressure canned? Other than taste and texture, can anyone provide a chemical/biological reason why adding the juice would be unsafe?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations