SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccaggiano_gw

Just made my first batch of sauce from my canned tomatoes!!!

ccaggiano
15 years ago

First - let me start by saying WOW!!! What a difference. This was my first year canning (54 quarts of tomatoes) and was putting off making sauce. After all of that hard work, I would hate to make it and not see a difference. I am happy to say that both of my kids (six and four) said it was the best I've ever made and I certainly could tell the difference.

In the past, making sauce was always an all day event. I used about 12 quarts of tomatoes and added 3 - 4 pounds of meatballs and sausage. Cooked it for four to six hours and froze the rest.

But - old habits die hard and I made way, way too much tonight. I used about 8 quarts of tomatoes and still ended up freezing a ton of sauce. I am sure it will still be good once it is defrosted and cooked. I guess the Italian in me just doesn't know how to cook in small portions!!!

My intention this summer was can the tomatoes and cook a couple of quarts with meat for a meal and leftovers. With both my freezers filled to the brim with veggies and spices from the summer, I really don't have the room to store anything right now. Everyone should have these problems, right???

Comments (5)