SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heavens123

First batch of Gritty Mix and my poor tree is drooping

heavens123
14 years ago

I've just made my first batch of gritty mix: 1:1:1 Turface MVP, Gran-I-Grit Grower, Aged Pine bark fines and gypsum. There is only one place within 100 miles I can find that carries the pine bark fines and this is it. $10 for a 2 c.u. bag!

As I am in a highrise apartment with no outdoor access, I am unable to screen this, so just tossed it into a big trash can in the middle of my living room and mixed real well. The pieces looked very uniform and anything obviously large I pulled out. That was messy enough because of the dust but I went slowly to minimize.

I barerooted three trees that needed to be repotted and planted them in the gritty mix and watered very, very well in the tub so they could drain freely. The two established plants are looking ok, but the new tree I just got in a 3 gallon container is drooping. All of the new growth is melting. The next day, I used the moisture meter and it registered dry, so I poured in copious amounts of water and did the same this morning again.

Should I not have barerooted? Should I have watered the mix down first? Was I too rough in the replanting? Is this normal? Should I wait a few days and then prune off all the drooping areas if they dry out?

The calamondin orange tree and pomegranate tree are the ones that are fine, the surinam cherry is the one that is drooping.

Comments (9)