SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Why on earth do they do it this way?

Anglophilia
6 years ago

Back in early June, I had a bronchoscopy as an outpatient at a local hospital. The procedure is not much different than a colonoscopy as one is sedated but not anesthetized. I was there about 3 hours - an hour ahead for paper work and putting in an IV, about 30-45 minutes for the procedure, and the rest of the time, resting until the sedation wore off.

I got the charges today with my statement from TriCare for Life, my Medicare Supplemental policy. The procedure was billed for $31,759.54! Medicare paid $927; Tricare paid 236.48. I owe NOTHING.

But that's really not the point, is it? Why bill that much for something and then negotiate with Medicare and Tricare for an enormously less amount? Why bill that much in the first place? Does ANYONE pay that much? If they're too poor for insurance, the hospital will never get that money from them.

That bill is for more than I paid for my first house in 1969! It was really quite a nice little house - built in 1938, lovely millwork, 9ft ceilings, a quality house. It had 3 bedrooms and 1 1/2 baths and a finished basement with a fireplace.

I'm NOT a fan of "single payer" health care in this country. I have participated in far too many forums for my pulmonary disease (bronchiectasis) with many foreign members, and I am FAR better off under our system. In most countries, not only will the national health not pay for a percussion vest, but their doctors are forbidden to even let patients know such exists and if they ask about it, are told that it is no better than manual percussion. That may be correct, but if one lives alone, just who is going to beat on ones back for 30-40 minutes twice daily for life? Since most people with bronchiectasis also have cystic fibrosis (I do NOT), and this is present from birth, the invention of the percussion vest is believed to be one of the reasons that CF patients life span has increased dramatically. In many cases, doing the manual percussion was just too difficult and the child resisted (as well they might!). My percussion vest cost $16,000 - I have no idea how much of that was paid for by Medicare and Tricare but I did not pay anything. It's been a game changer for me.

I'm also taking an inhaled antibiotic, using a nebulizer. I struggled with this - liquid foamed up and had to sit for minutes to re-liquify, and the entire process often took 40 minutes or longer. Doing this twice daily, in addition to 20 minutes for my percsussion vest and other nebulizer treatment, was becoming overwhelming. Then I remembered that I had a high speed nebulizer that was required for another inhaled antibiotic that I had take a few years ago. Unfortunately, I could not tolerate this medicine, so it's $900 nebulizer was sitting in a bag on the shelf. I called my doctor's nurse coordinator and she made a few phone calls, and YES, I CAN use this nebulizer. It only takes 3-5 minutes. What a game changer! But no insurance will cover it for anything other than the inhaled antibiotic for which it was designed, and few people can afford to buy it. The nurse said that many patients at her adult cystic fibrosis clinic have expressed interest in it, but none could afford it. The NHS in the UK was allowing limited use of Cayston but their cost watchdog group finally stopped covering it. Medicare and Tricare paid every penny of this very expensive drug and its nebulizer.

Now I'm well aware that this post will bring with it a firestorm of people who fervently believe that "single payer" is the way to go. Well, for me, it would be catastrophic as much of what I need would not be covered and I certainly could not pay for it myself. Single Payer may be fine for routine things, but when one is out of the ordinary, or elderly, one quickly discovers its serious limitations. It's why the Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic are both full of wealthy Brits who come her for the medical care they cannot get in the UK.

Our arcane billing systems from hospitals should be corrected. A restaurant cannot charge one diner one price and another diner a different one. I don't think my doctor got much of this huge price. I know my gastroenterologist says he actually is paid $200 for a colonoscopy, which is billed for gawd knows how much (probably the same as my bronchoscopy).

Sometimes, one feels like one has just fallen down the rabbit hole...

Comments (20)