SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swiss_chard_fanatic

Opinions needed on Corian counter + backsplash in 1945 fixer

swiss_chard_fanatic
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We bought this 1945 fixer for a song and the kitchen was an addition in the 80s. Our house expands and contracts and is out of level so we need materials that can withstand all of that. We have decided on solid surface counters.

We have considered granite but in order to keep costs controlled we want to forgo the cost of labor; we have a handyman friend who can fab solid surface but not granite/stone. Additionally, we don't believe granite would make sense aesthetically in this kitchen, as the look may be too elite for this kitchen (scroll down for pics). Granite is also not likely to be able to withstand the contracting and expanding that our house tends to do.

I favor modern designs and like the look of solid surface. I don't like the idea of a tiled backsplash, as it seems dated, and the idea of trying to clean the grout in between the tiles does not seem very exciting.

Note: the cabinets will be sanded, filled, have a shaker panel installed, primed, and painted, and will have new stainless steel bar handles. The cabinet color will be a Sherwin-Williams warm white shade. The sink and faucet will be stainless as well.

Design ideas I am contemplating for counter+backsplash, need opinions:

1. How far up should the backsplash go? 4"? Up to the window trim? Or all the way up to the cabinets? If they go all the way up, will this look good? I am a messy cook and dish washer, and food routinely gets on the back wall, especially behind the sink. If all the way up, will the backsplash material be able to handle when the house is expanding or contracting?
  2. If I choose different colors of Corian for the counter and the backsplash, what color/material should we use to seam them?
  3. Corian Abalone counters + Corian Abalone backsplash?
  4. Corian (a black color) + Corian (a warm whitish color such as Vanilla) backsplash?
  5. Corian Abalone counter + Corian Vanilla backsplash?
  6. Corian Abalone counter + Corian Rice Paper backsplash?
  7. Can any kind of beadboard as a backsplash look modern? So far, I have not seen any.
  8. Oven backsplash: what to do here? I am least educated on this one, but some type of backsplash is needed, as food mess tends to get back there. I cook a lot.

The floor in our kitchen is this:

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Our kitchen as-is today:

What do you think?

Comments (18)