SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

July 2017, Week 4, Garden Talk

Good Morning and welcome to the new work week! I hope everyone had a pleasant weekend....or, at least, survived the horrible heat.

Today's going to be our cool day with highs still hot but cooler than the last few days. Then it heats right back up again because....well, because it is July. At least this is the last full week of July. That sounds great until you realize that August follows July.

I intend to be out in the garden early harvesting and then will get back indoors as quickly as possible. That seems to be my goal every day. This morning as soon as I'm back inside from harvesting, I'll start canning so I can finish up before it gets too hot indoors or out. That's also a daily goal except on the days I declare it is too hot to can at all like I did yesterday.

Last evening's rain, though not a large amount, was nice to receive as the rain-cooled air did cool us down out of the 100s and all the way down into the 70s. Of course, once the rain passed through, we went right back to blue skies and the temperatures climbed into the low 80s, but the low 80s still felt better than the low 100s.

In our garden, plants really are starting to look hot, dry and tired and I don't blame them. I feel hot just looking at them baking out there in the heat and the sunshine. About the only thing I'm noticing in the garden, in terms of the insect population, is that there's more and more butterflies daily. I suspect this is because the wildflowers in the fields are drying up and turning brown, so the butterflies come to the garden where the flowers look decent enough and still are blooming because they're getting watered a couple of times a week. Except for the native sunflowers and partridge peas, there's really no wildflowers blooming at our place now. The heat has gotten them all. It is the same pretty much everywhere around us.

The grasshoppers are flocking to the garden too, but not yet in large enough numbers to concern me, so I don't think we're going to have an epic grasshopper year this year. If we were, they'd already be eating the plants down to bare stems, which they are not.

While the tomatoes and peppers continue to produce, my focus now is more on the cucumbers, southern peas, okra and melons. Every plant has its season in the garden when it is highly productive and for these plants, that time is now. Well, the summer squash continues to produce but I'm over it, except that I keep harvesting them and feeding them to the deer and the chickens. I don't think the cucumbers will last much longer as the heat is so hard on them even though I've been really careful to keep them well watered. I'll probably plant a new batch of cucumbers in a couple of weeks for a fall harvest so I can make more pickles.

Other than all the above, I'm just trying to survive the hot season.

How are y'all and your gardens doing this week?

Dawn

Comments (123)