SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

August 2017, Week 4 Garden Talk: Planting, Harvesting, Surviving

We've made it to week 4 in what is traditionally the hottest, driest month of the year. I hope everyone had a great weekend and is ready for the start of the traditional workweek.

What's new in your gardens?

There's not a lot new here except the endless rounds of new weeds sprouting thanks to all the rain. Well, the fields and roadsides and yards all look marvelously green for August and that's a nice change from the usual.

The excessive August rainfall has watered down the flavor of the hot peppers tremendously---the jalapenos are not hot at all and are barely worth harvesting and eating. I'm not going to harvest any more for a while in the hopes that there will be less rain over the next couple of weeks and the flavor compounds will have a better chance of developing fully and producing some heat. Melons likewise are suffering from excessively watered-down flavor, making them more suitable for the chickens than for us. Luckily most of our melon harvest was early this year, falling into the relatively hot, dry weather between the rainfall of early July and early August, so those earlier ones had great flavor.

The grasshopper population continues to skyrocket, when what would be more normal for this time of the year would be for that population to have peaked already and to be falling. At least the chickens are having fun running around eating grasshoppers. I don't think they can eat them all. At some point every summer, the chickens just get tired of the grasshoppers and stop eating them.

Rain lilies and helenium are beginning to bloom in the fields.

With the rain causing exponential weed growth, it is hard to keep the beds weed-free or even mostly weed-free for the autumn plants, so I've just picked three beds to focus on and am trying to keep them clear of weeds to the extent that a person even can do so in snake season here. Those three beds are where I'll plant autumn plants if we ever have a day mild enough that I can stay outside for more than just the first hour of the day. I've got half a mind to take a weedeater to the rest of the vegggie garden (not my beloved peppers and tomatoes, but just about everything else that remains except not, of course, the flower and herb borders) and just cut everything down to ground level.

I don't know if any of you have been waiting for fall veggie transplants to arrive in stores up there, but I saw a brand new shipment of them in the stores down here this weekend---it wasn't much, but it was a start for folks who are wanting to buy a few things. Across the river in Gainesville, TX, both Wal-Mart and Home Depot had a new shipment of Bonnie Plants. The plants on the store shelves were new, fresh and small. They had two kinds of broccoli (Lieutenant and Artworks), at least one kind of cabbage (Bonnie Hybrid), about 6 or 8 fall tomato varieties (Creole, Florida 91, Big Boy, Better Boy, Early Girl, and Cherokee Purple are the ones I can remember seeing but there may have been a couple more varieties), a few kinds of peppers (I remember seeing Mucho Nacho Jalapeno) and a fairly decent selection of herbs (basil, cilantro and tons of other warm season types). There were not any cool-season flowers yet as we still are much too hot for them. We don't usually see pansies, snapdragons and ornamental kale here until later....maybe sometime in September. They still had lots of heat-loving flowers that are left over from earlier in the season, especially lantanas and angelonias.

That's about all that is new here.

What's going on where you live and garden?

Dawn

Comments (96)