SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Week 3, May 2017 General Garden Talk,

Here's the new weekly conversation thread for the new workweek.

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Am I the only person astonished by the lack of pest insects so far?

I'm not saying there are not any insect pests at all in the garden, but the ones I am seeing are at low population levels and aren't really causing any problems.

I know I'll jinx myself by saying this (and both these insect families will show up in massive numbers this week just because I am saying this), but I haven't seen any squash bugs yet, (nor squash vine borer moths, though it is too early for them in general) nor Colorado Potato Beetles. I think this is my third year in a row with no CPBs. I've only seen a couple of stink bugs---a couple of brown ones, a couple of green ones. I think I've seen one leaf-footed bug, and I killed it before it could find a mate and begin reproducing. I have seen young asssassin bugs, so since they are reproducing early, perhaps they are eating the pests before I see them. I've also seen young wheel bugs. The few grasshoppers I'm seeing are very new hatchlings in the tiniest instars and I see them for a day or two and then don't see them again. There have been cucumber beetles around and, don't let those guys fool you, they will feed on virtually every type of plant you have, not just cucurbits.

My garden does have snails and slugs, courtesy of rich, humusy soil we've spent almost 2 decades building, and 2 very rainy years in 2015-2016. I've got SlugGo Plus for them, so I'm not worried. There's lots of pill bugs and sow bugs, but since I have heavy, thick mulch, that's par for the course, and the SlugGo will keep them at a manageable level too. We have lady bugs. I have found cutworms when digging in the soil, but I haven't lost a single plant to a cutworm yet. (Largely due to either cutworm protection provided or also due to SlugGo Plus.)

My biggest pest has been fire ants in the raised beds, but after several weekly applications of Come And Get It, an organic ant killer that contains Spinosad as its active ingredient, those mounds disappear. I just have to be patient and be careful around the mounds until the ants either die or leave. Most weeks I don't get a single fire ant bite, but one fire ant got me on Friday. There's plenty of other ants in my garden, but ants are beneficial in a garden as long as they aren't farming aphids (which mine aren't), so I ignore them.

The garden is full of lady bugs, butterflies, moths, dragonflies, birds, hummingbirds,predatory wasps (one of the most important beneficial insects we have and most are so small people think they are flies), hoverflies, bees and other pollinators (like certain flies that pollinate) an occasional frog and an occasional turtle. We're so dry here, though, that the frogs, skinks and lizards mostly seem to be retreating to the woodland and the turtles mostly have retreated to the creek or lagoon. They'll return to the garden if we get good rainfall.

We mowed and mulched all weekend, weeded and watered, and cut back a few limbs off a tree that was shading the garden too much.

Last week I mostly worked in the back garden, so today I'll give the front garden some attention. Tomorrow I'll probably focus on the back garden again, which was just planted last week so needs to be watched for emerging pests as the seeds sprout and the plants begin to grow.

What's new with you?

Comments (90)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County